Spyder Garage

Red face 2008 spyder-one cylinder seems lean

My spyder misses and goes off on one cylinder at idle and lower rpm ranges. It is getting worse the last few weeks and is miserable to ride. I checked for codes and it says "no active fault code". Since there is only one fuel supply, filter, and fuel pressure regulator it seems like any difference in fuel to the cylinder must be an injector fault. The thing is, it pulls great at higher rpm and throttle openings. One plug looked a little leaner than the other but only a slight difference. Since it pulls well mid-range and up I do not see this being an ignition problem or a basic engine mechanical fault. It has 11400 miles. I have a lot of experience with motorcycles and small race cars but have not solved it yet.

I checked the vacuum tubes going to the Map sensor and the fuel pressure regulator and they are good. I removed the emission canister and plugged the vacuum tube and put a fuel tank vent to the lower rear of the body. I believe it may be time to get the injectors cleaned and flow checked.

Any other ideas are welcome.
    Harold Knobel-new to spyders

Spyder Garage

Are you still running the OE plugs & leads?? The front plug & lead is hard to change so unless YOU do it, they can often be missed..... and the OE plugs & leads are prone to progressive failure, often producing much the same symptoms you describe.

Just a thought!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In addition...before you actually pull the injectors, try changing that fuel filter and run a couple of tanks of injector cleaner through the system. Seafoam, Techron, etc. Some may not believe in the stuff, but it's been proven to help many a member on here. And BTW, doing that canisterectomy is never a bad thing on the V-Twin.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 12-21-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Good advise...above...

I always make sure those hoses are removed to be checked and replaced (silicone) regardless of the condition. For a spell back then they some loose fitting hoses could be fixed with a ziptie...but later it was and is deterioration of the rubber hoses. I would post some photos but this site has taken to not letting me upload pictures and locking my post if I use emojies...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Harold Knoberl on lean on one cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    In addition...before you actually pull the injectors, try changing that fuel filter and run a couple of tanks of injector cleaner through the system. Seafoam, Techron, etc. Some may not believe in the stuff, but it's been proven to help many a member on here. And BTW, doing that canisterectomy is never a bad thing on the V-Twin.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I do not think it is the filter because it gets plenty of fuel to pull good from mid-range up. I do think I will try the injector cleaner though. While I have the plastic off I am going to wrap the exhaust. This thing is cooking my right foot. Also, I am going to make sure the large vacuum tubes on the throttle body are not open to the atmosphere and letting in too much air.

BTW, I can buy a used throttle body with injectors, MAP, fuel regulator etc. relatively inexpensively as a parts source, I may do that.
    Thanks Harold

Spyder Garage

Default Electrical Gremlin!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Are you still running the OE plugs & leads?? The front plug & lead is hard to change so unless YOU do it, they can often be missed..... and the OE plugs & leads are prone to progressive failure, often producing much the same symptoms you describe.

Just a thought!

that this problem, more than likely is a electrical gremlin. I would start with new plugs / wires, and go from there.

The worst problem is the lack of a trouble code, which is the most frustrating for diagnosing a problem in which your having.

I feel electrical... if your engine is pulling fine midrange on up, how could it be a fuel delivery problem of any nature, unless the injector itself has an electrical issue I can't see it being a fuel delivery problem.

Best of luck on this one!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Knobel View Post
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

....While I have the plastic off I am going to wrap the exhaust. This thing is cooking my right foot.....

Thanks Harold
    Harold - The cooking of your right foot is more likely the hot air from the radiator than engine exhaust - although wrapping your engine exhaust won't hurt anything. But, check out these products from Spyderpops for your machine.

http://spyderpops.com/gs-rs-rss/new-category-8/

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MISSING ETC

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

Just a thought!
    ........It sounds like your wires are OEM and ...original ....... Spyders are known to have Crappy OEM wires ..... When you get new ones ....Get BAJARONS ..... they are less expensive , but 3 times better quality ..... they will probably last 1/4 million miles at the very least ...... Mike .........annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Merry Christmas

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep, spark plugs and wires from Bajaron, check the boots that connect the throttle bodies to the engine.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

The OEM spark plug wires embrittle after a couple years. If the plugs were changed before the poor idling started, that's the problem.

Everybody else has told you how good BahaRon's plug wires are.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Knobel View Post
    While I have the plastic off I am going to wrap the exhaust. This thing is cooking my right foot.
    Before you wrap the pipe, with the right side tupperware off, find the joint by your right foot. Start the engine and carefully cup your hand around with joint without touching. If you feel a hot breeze, the Y-gaskets are toast. Replace both right and left side with Honda 18392-MAM-000.

*The Honda gaskets are only for the GS/RS only.*

SpyderPop's heat management system finishes off the last of the heat.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.