Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Gas pump auto shut-off

Sorry for a newbie question here:
    When you fill up your Spyder - does the fuel pump auto shut-off feature work or do you need to look into the tank while pumping gas to know when to turn it off?

Last time I tried to look into the tank while fueling I spilled gas all over the tank

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I look into the tank. When the gas gets to the filler ring, I stop, let the gas settle and fill up to the ring a second time. Done. This gives a more full tank and if done the same each time--helps you keep a better mpg if you are doing it.

Sorry, cannot help if you have those "special" filler hoses.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

yes the auto shut off will work. Having said that I don't trust it just in case it doesn't, I always keep my hand there ready to shut it off. After the auto shut off I pull the nozzel out a little so I can see the level and fill to the ring let settle fill to the ring.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Yes as stated the shutoff will work. But.......after almost 60K miles on a bike I have never trusted them. Also I have been on a trip with another rider that it clicked on, he was done, and we went down the road. Thirty minutes later he said he needed gas! He stated that the bike only took a gallon of gas while everybody else's took 5-6 gallons. It clicked on him before it was filled! We razzed him about what great gas mileage he was getting! Lesson there is to make sure visually it is filled up.
    Another tip I got from another rider was to grab a couple of paper towels and ring them around the nozzle when filling your tank. That way any "splash-up" will be caught by the paper towels and not go on your nice. clean, waxed gas tank. Then just throw them away.

Spyder Garage

I never depend on the auto shut off. I do not stick the nozzle all the way into the opening like a car. If you do that and quit when it clicks you'll be lucky to have 3/4 of a tank. Many didn't even know there is a small wedge reading at the top of the original Spyders digital fuel gauge because they never saw it. That's because they never filled the tank. People would notice it in some of my pictures or when pulling away from the gas station and say their Spyder gauge didn't have that. Well, it did, they'd just never seen it.

I put the nozzle in maybe 3". Go full bore and look/listen. You can hear when the tank starts getting close to full and then I back off on the flow more and more as the tank gets full. Once full I let it settle a bit and fill it again. I usually get about 1/2 gallon more. Doesn't sound like much. But when you're pushing it for whatever reason. It's nice to have that extra 15 miles or so. If you never need it. It still doesn't hurt anything.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The only time I have trouble is with those accordian hose things which are meant to trap escaping gases (fumes). They are prevalent on the West Coast (California and Oregon I blelieve).

I spill gas 100% of the time.

Spyder Garage

your question regards the F3
    the first two replies were from owners with RT's. Their gas tanks and fillers are different. So those comments may be irrelevant to your F3.
    Since I have an F3, I can make a comment from first hand experience.
    The auto shut off does work on the F3 tank-no need to keep looking in the filler neck. You really can't see into the tank anyway.
    After the nozzle shuts off you can pull the filler out a bit (inch or so) squeeze the handle and get another pint or more into the tank. When doing this there will be a small amount of splash to watch for and it will come into the ring around the filler neck.
    The top of the tank on the F3 is actually an inch or so down from the filler opening

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    The only time I have trouble is with those accordian hose things which are meant to trap escaping gases (fumes). They are prevalent on the West Coast (California and Oregon I blelieve).

I spill gas 100% of the time.
    The only way to make the accordion boot on the fuel nozzle work is to disable it completely. I take a few fingers and pull the accordion boot back so that it is nowhere near engaging or sealing the fuel neck. It's still a pain. But if you do it this way you should have no more spilled fuel issues.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As a circumsized male I just can't get the hang of ... never mind ...

Spyder Garage

Default They do....

The auto shutoff does work. The problem is you do not get a full tank. Therefore the final step is both manual and visual. The slow fill and cutting off at the splashback around the filler will get you a full tank...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER GAS TANK

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    Sorry for a newbie question here:
    When you fill up your Spyder - does the fuel pump auto shut-off feature work or do you need to look into the tank while pumping gas to know when to turn it off?

Last time I tried to look into the tank while fueling I spilled gas all over the tank

Thanks!
    As others have said they use the initial first signal ( the pump auto shut-off ) as a warning about how much is in the tank .......... and this may work fine for cars and trks. that have a LONG FILLER NECK .... Spyders don't, you can see into the tank and see the Gas level.....If you only use the auto shut-off in my experience that leaves the tank 3/4 gal short ..... you just need to be careful, BRP re-designed where the Charcoal filter is, and on the 2013 + models with the 1330 engine ...Gas can't get into that canister even it's if so full it's pouring out of the tank ....... good luck ....annnnnnnnnd ..Merry Christmas .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-23-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

>CLICK ME<

Filler vapor capture retainer. I've seen these in a smaller stainless version but can't find it on the net just now.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    After the auto shut off I pull the nozzel out a little so I can see the level and fill to the ring let settle fill to the ring.
    The gas pumps in Florida must work different than where some of you guys live.

I find it IMPOSSIBLE to finesse the levers on any pumps I visit. They go from OFF to FULL ON and pull hard. Once the tank gets near to full, attempting to go farther always results in some amount of fuel spitting out the little vent holes. Sometimes a LOT......and far enough to hit ME.

SO.....I figured out if I stick the nozzle in about half way down to the "spring" and then run it full blast, it will auto shut off and fill it very close to "full" and not spit anything back. If you take the nozzle out and look, you can see it is VERY close to being totally full.

Based on my experience, I think that trying to get the last few ounces in can be dangerous.
    YMMV.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    >CLICK ME<

Filler vapor capture retainer. I've seen these in a smaller stainless version but can't find it on the net just now.
    I think you mean this...
    http://www.aerostich.com/e-z-fill-nozzle-key.html

or this...
    http://www.aerostich.com/gascard.html
    Last edited by Raprider; 12-21-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

all good advice from the RT guys, but...
    you cannot see the gas in the tank on an F3 without a flashlight (or maybe if the sun is directly over the tank).
    I just looked. The filler is funnel shaped.
    It is 3 3/4 in, from the narrow part of the filler to the bottom of the filler that extends into the tank.
    and 5 1/4 in, to the top of the filler where the overflow holes are, and almost 6 in. to the top of the filler where the fuel cap attaches.
    You can raise the filler nozzle an inch or so and get another pint or quart or so in the tank after the auto shut off.
    In the pic the tank is full, checked with a flashlight. I don't know how you can see the fuel while filling.
    P1010925.jpg
    Last edited by ofdave; 12-21-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Did not know about the differences between RT and F3 tanks. Whooda thought?

I will keep that in mind if offering any future advice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Did not know about the differences between RT and F3 tanks. Whooda thought?

I will keep that in mind if offering any future advice.

now that you mention it, I'm not sure where the gas cap is on the 1330 RT's.
    I know the older ones have gas cap access under the seat on the left side of the tank.

Spyder Garage

On my F3 in the filler stem about 2 inches down there is a small ridge that I rest the fuel nossal (can't spell) against and the shutoff works fine. Then I back it off a couple inches and top it off. But the ridge seems to avoid any backwash.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    On my F3 in the filler stem about 2 inches down there is a small ridge that I rest the fuel nossal (can't spell) against and the shutoff works fine. Then I back it off a couple inches and top it off. But the ridge seems to avoid any backwash.
    If you finish typing a word and hit space or period/comma if it's spelled wrong it will have a red line under it. You can right click it and it will give you choices of spelling for that word.
    Last edited by Rattlebars; 12-21-2017 at 11:00 PM.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. Next time I'm at the gas station I'll rely on the auto shut-off of the pump.
    To those of you who are interested I'm attaching the schematic of F3's gas tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your feedback. Next time I'm at the gas station I'll rely on the auto shut-off of the pump.
    To those of you who are interested I'm attaching the schematic of F3's gas tank.
    you'll be fine

by the way, where'd you find the drawing> got a link?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    you'll be fine

by the way, where'd you find the drawing> got a link?
    Owners manual it's a good read
    If enough people are interested I can scan the owners manual and post it here. Let me know
    Last edited by Don'tPanic; 12-23-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Operator Manuals

This link was posted in a recent thread...
    http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx
    2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Post Can-Am Spyder F3 / F3-S Owner's Manual

Here's the link to the owners manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jtK...ew?usp=sharing

Spyder Garage

Here's the link to the owners manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jtK...ew?usp=sharing

I have the manual (came with the bike)
    just never saw the drawing