Spyder Garage

Default F3-T SE transmission metallic thrashing noise

My 2016 F3-T SE noise started around 14K. At first there was a soft high pitch whine with closed throttle engine braking in all gears. This continued for around next 800 miles. The last 200 mile ride it suddenly became very loud metallic thrashing sound closed throttle engine braking. Gear shifting is smooth under normal cruising engine load metallic thrashing noise is gone everything seems normal but comes back again with closed throttle and engine braking in all gears. Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Ooouch...!!!

I would suspect something in the clutch mechanism as when using engine compression takes the load off the clutch. Not knowing much more could be as simple as oil related. Type of oil, condition, spec's, level etc. But if it is getting worse that quickly I would have it checked out.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It's under warranty; get thee to thy dealer!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

very interested to see what you have going on. I am guessing it's still under a warranty so the dealer should look at it soon.

Spyder Garage

Default Font belt sprocket?

Check front belt sprocket. I suspect the grinding that you are hearing might be the sprocket spinning on the shaft.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser37 View Post
    My 2016 F3-T SE noise started around 14K. At first there was a soft high pitch whine with closed throttle engine braking in all gears. This continued for around next 800 miles. The last 200 mile ride it suddenly became very loud metallic thrashing sound closed throttle engine braking. Gear shifting is smooth under normal cruising engine load metallic thrashing noise is gone everything seems normal but comes back again with closed throttle and engine braking in all gears. Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks
    Define Dealer issue--one yr old--gotta be under warranty.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Add another card to the pile of "A check by the dealer is recommended."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    Check front belt sprocket. I suspect the grinding that you are hearing might be the sprocket spinning on the shaft.
    Would be something I would check as well. Same thing both of mine did. Backing off the throttle took the tension off the belt and allowed the front sprocket to chatter. Applying throttle made the noise go away......well until the front sprocket gave up anyway.CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default F3-T tranny metallic noise

Thanks to all who commented. Still under warranty and made a service appmt. with dealer next week. I suspect it's a front drive sprocket issue. After checking the forum on this issue oil is not the problem less than 1K on BRP oil change. Will follow up with post on issue after service and hopefully I can help someone else with answer. My friends F3-T had serious tranny problem couldn't shift gears. Three dealership service kept insisting it was oil problem changed oil, brands etc several times until fourth dealership went into tranny and found a loose nut in clutch assembly from factory. Lucky no permanent damage. Issue resolved.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Would be interested in hearing the result

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards