Thread: 2013 Heat Issue

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Heat Issue

Hi all.
    I just bought a 2013 STS from a friend. I read a lot about a different set of side panels because of a heat retention issue. How do I know if mine has them or not? What do they look like?
    Thanks!
    Mark

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

You can go to a dealer and have them check the vin number. I think some dealers are still getting panels for customers and BRP helps...Though the big issue was the RT due to the modified frame.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The heat remediation panels were for the RT models. Other models were not affected by the safety bulletin. The panels were like extra air scoops. Some dealers have been able to get them for their customers free of charge for models other than the RT.

Update: RS/ST models included for new body panels.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-27-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat remediation

Quote Originally Posted by BrandyMB View Post
    Hi all.
    I just bought a 2013 STS from a friend. I read a lot about a different set of side panels because of a heat retention issue. How do I know if mine has them or not? What do they look like?
    Thanks!
    Mark
    There were two heat remediation issues on two different spyder models and years....sometimes confused with each other.

Regarding just the ST - it was a complete side panel replacement. Pretty much a swap and play, using panels from the 2014 ST model year on the 2013 ST. Here’s an 17 page thread. I didn’t go through the whole thing to see if there were any pictures. But do a search on here and you’ll find some. I think the air inlets are easy to spot.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-for-2013-ST-S

Edit: check posts 337 and 344.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 12-18-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, that's the thread.
    Here is a pic of the panels.

It is NOT something which shows up on a Vin search as it is a Goodwill Fix, not a Recall. Just ask and Ye shall receive. If your dealer is not up to speed, just email brp.care@brp.com and they'll sort it with your dealer.

Well worth it- not just comfort, but more importantly to keep all the components a bit cooler.

Spyder Garage

Default I HAVE THE SAME MODEL !

I have the 2013 ST and Ya HOT AS BACON FRYING> I called the local show and they ren the vin and they told me NO.. I called Cam Am BRP and they ren the vin and the told me NO.. I Wrote CAn AM BRP and through multiple letter and threatening to slam them on social media they agreed to pay for the panels.. Here this may help

BRP issued a campaign to replace the body panels on 2013 RS/ST models due to excessive heat back in 2014. Have your local dealer look up TST 87480. This will give them all the information they need. At this time, BRP is only covering the parts, so you will still pay for labor, which is roughly an hour.
    Called to chk 11/4 No return call. Recalled 11/5 talked with Bill and stating no campaign waiting on brp.
    Called brp 4/5 stated will research
    http://www.carproblemzoo.com/tsb/can-am/spyderst/

2013 Can-am Spyder St cooling system TSB (Bulletin 87480)
    Bulletin Date:Sep. 25, 2015Component:Cooling systemBulletin Summary:Technical service tip (tst): customer may complain of excessive heat felt on the lateral panels in certain riding conditions. Solution is to install the air scoop panel kit. Make sure the unit has the 2013-9 warranty campaign ecm update peVehicles covered in this TSB:
    2013 Can-am Spyder Rs, 2013 Can-am Spyder St

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Heat issue

I went to the dealer today and the parts guy was familiar with the issue. Wrote down a bunch of stuff and printed it out and took me to the service department which will send out the order under a warranty issue. Sounds good to me so far. I'll see what happens. Thanks all.
    Mark

Spyder Garage

Default RS models NOT included.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The heat remediation panels were for the RT models. Other models were not affected by the safety bulletin. The panels were like extra air scoops. Some dealers have been able to get them for their customers free of charge for models other than the RT.

Update: RS/ST models included for new body panels.
    We moved from RS to ST. As far as retaining heat, the RS model was much worse than the unmodified ST. The wife has second degree burn scars on her left leg. We highly recommend the conversion to ALL RS/GS & ST's.

Spyder Garage

had mine done on my 2013, worked with a great dealer and service guy (that is the key!!!!). I noticed a bar lower temperatures when sitting...and will say it looks much more bad a@# from the side

Spyder Garage

Most dealers have been willing to work with owners of 2013's that complained about heat--whether or not is was for their specific models. There are still a few dealers out there that do not believe in full customer satisfaction.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks, folks! - heat issue

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Most dealers have been willing to work with owners of 2013's that complained about heat--whether or not is was for their specific models. There are still a few dealers out there that do not believe in full customer satisfaction.
    I took it to the dealer and the mods were already installed. Also a flash to the ECU had been done. I never know what the updated panels looked like in the first place lol. Dealer had the history on it and got it all transferred into my name.
    Mark

Spyder Garage

excellent !!! good for you and good on that dealer for working with you