Spyder Garage

Default HUmmm.. NOt sure here..

Drove to Work this evening wonderful temps.. 60's... Well I did drive a little fast 90s and when I got there a roll of white smoke came out from under the bike.. The smell Im guessing was oil so I of course got onto my knees to see if anything leaking. Nothing.. Rechecked the gauges and bike was below normal due to the temps IM sure. I let her sit awhile walked in and was thinking the whole time what if it caught on fire which one would I get next.. Well walked back to the bike and no smoke. cranked right up.. Sat there for awhile.. No weird noise.. No smoke nothing.. NO weird engine lights. All the lights working and brakes worked so drove it home approx 36 miles back. Drove into the garage and again but less this time a small puff of white smoke?? And ideas>>> ?? Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm, I don’t think a new Pope is being chosen. What year and model is your Spyder?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Hard to say..

White smoke usually is coolant and it would seem it is a low pressure leak if it is only at shutdown. Of course don't know when your riding but check your coolant and exhaust pipe for burn marks...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

OK, if it's not a new Pope, then maybe there's a coolant leak from the header tank boiling off?! Or you could be cooking off some trapped under-panel liquid remnants from the last wash? Or could it be that you picked up something off the road, a bit of plastic or similar that got caught up on one of the pipes??

Which model/engine Spyder is it?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Or could it be that you picked up something off the road, a bit of plastic or similar that got caught up on one of the pipes??

Which model/engine Spyder is it?
    That was my guess. Since you said that the smoke was coming from underneath the spyder and not from the exhaust.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Hmmm, I don’t think a new Pope is being chosen. What year and model is your Spyder?
    2013 ST

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    That was my guess. Since you said that the smoke was coming from underneath the spyder and not from the exhaust.
    Was really bizarre.. Same heat, maybe as you stated.. Maybe something like a plastic bag.. the smell was familiar though but I can not picture it.. OYIE !

Spyder Garage

Default Inspection time

At this point If I was you, I would pull the panels off and inspect everything. Better safe than sorry.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rkba101 View Post
    Drove to Work this evening wonderful temps.. 60's... Well I did drive a little fast 90s and when I got there a roll of white smoke came out from under the bike.. The smell Im guessing was oil so I of course got onto my knees to see if anything leaking. Nothing.. Rechecked the gauges and bike was below normal due to the temps IM sure. I let her sit awhile walked in and was thinking the whole time what if it caught on fire which one would I get next.. Well walked back to the bike and no smoke. cranked right up.. Sat there for awhile.. No weird noise.. No smoke nothing.. NO weird engine lights. All the lights working and brakes worked so drove it home approx 36 miles back. Drove into the garage and again but less this time a small puff of white smoke?? And ideas>>> ?? Thanks

I had the same problem on my RT 1330 2014 it was the disk diaphragm on left side of motor I can send you the picture of the defect parts mi e mail is mauriceleduc@msn.com
    Last edited by jtoro1; 12-18-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: missing parts

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any work done recently ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rkba101 View Post
    For safety purposes it may be a good idea to take your Spyder to the dealer for a quick check up. Worst case scenario, it would be a false alarm. Let us know of the out come. Safe travels. Stephanie - BRP Care
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

Now that's funny!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Any work done recently ?
    None.. Just won a battle with BRP about the panel exchange for the vented version though.. Local deal just ordered the parts. Afraid to let them look at it.. But guess I have to..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    For safety purposes it may be a good idea to take your Spyder to the dealer for a quick check up. Worst case scenario, it would be a false alarm. Let us know of the out come. Safe travels. Stephanie - BRP Care
    Thanks.. Hope they are honest.. Have panels ordered for exchange and since they were removing the panels I asked for a discount on the Oil change which they did discount it. So Yea for me. Will have them assess it at that time.. Till then she will park in the garage. Sad times.. Wanted to ride her to work tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Now that's funny!

​Jack
    HAHAHA I didn't even see that, but a new pope might be a good idea?