Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying Advice?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I totally disagree with the above. I purchased 2 new spyders and tried to get a deal with the locals, and no one was even close (3 local dealers). I purchased both of my bikes from out of state, and had them shipped. On the 2014, I saved $5500 (buying in September of 2014), and on the 2016, I saved over $5,000 (buying in April of 2017).
    Now, I went back to the local dealerships and told them, they lost the sale, but they can earn the service. After talking to all 3, I chose one 20 miles away, and they treat me very well. Great prices, a percentage of whatever I purchase towards my next service, etc.. You just have to be upfront and let them know you want to deal local, but you are not a fool.
    VERY WELL SAID AND I AGREE WITH YOU 100% AS I HAVE DONE EXACTLY AS YOU!!!! My 4th Spyder is due at the dealership in January.. Happy holidays.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to know how all you folks ( who believe the above ) ....KNEW the Dealer they bought from had a fantastic service dept..... This sage advice has been said 10's of thousands of times here ..... PLEASE tell the rest of us ....How - You knew who the Best SERVICING dealer was .....Thank you annnnnnnnnnd Merry Christmas ...... Mike
    In my case, Mike, it was speaking personally with 7 or 8 local/area Spyder owners, most of whom warned me off one dealership and/or pointed me to two others, both recognized as being fair on prices and very good on service. One couple even approached me in the show room of the 'poorly rated' dealer and suggested I would do better elsewhere. I also spent two months reading everything I could on this site and the Ontario Spyder Riders site before I got into serious discussions with dealers. I studied the Spyder product history, learned about the different models and features, then did personal visits to 3 different shops in different areas, as well as checking Craigslist and dealer on-line sites across much of eastern N. America, both Canada and US, from Maine to IL, from Ont/Que. south to FL, and places in between. In short, I did as much 'homework' as I could, and probably far more than many others would do. It's not perfect, but I do try to find out as much as I can beforehand. And, like Jack, I also believe in trying to get behind the 'employees only' shop door and get to know the techs on a more personal/familiar basis. If one can manage to do it without becoming a nuisance, it does pay dividends. Most of the good ones take pride in their work, and are happy to share feedback with owner/customers; a kind word on their work often goes a long way, and even constructive criticism, if warranted, will usually be accepted and earn better results.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    While I agree with you in principle, Jack, I don't think this is very useful advice unless you explain how to do that.
    How do you find out which dealer has properly trained and licensed techs?
    How do you find out which tech that is?
    How do you arrange to speak with that tech?
    How do you ensure the service department assigns your Spyder to that tech?
    1) Ask
    2) Ask
    3) Ask
    4) Ask

Not trying to be a smartass here but you have to to ask and if you don't trust the answers why are you buying there to begin with?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once you figure out what Model you want, start shopping around. I am lucky that I have 3 Spyder Dealers somewhat close to me. Once they know your serious you can bargain your way to a pretty good deal. You can also watch your local craigslist and can usually find next to new Spyders for sale. Like any motorcycle, people buy and then later find out it is not for them. Once you see what your local Dealers will do, go online, there are a few good online dealers out there that you can purchase and get delivered at better prices you can find locally. In this respect I have found that imotorsports has the best online prices with free shipping. In my area F3s are sold out and dealerships are waiting for new stock. Colorado has a pretty healthy Spyder interest and owners but not all states are like that so you maybe able to find some good deals on 2016 and 2017 in other states.

Spyder Garage

If I had done better research on maintenance issues, difficulty in DIY, poor customer relations, price gouging by dealers, just to name a few; I would never have bought one. A machine of this type that cost in the $30K range should not have any problems and the manufacturer and dealers should be at your beck and call. Sadly, none of those things are true. But now that I pulled the trigger prematurely (on a gently used one//2014 RT limited with 6800 miles), I'm going to make the most of it and try to get along with my (wife's) Spyder.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

A few bad dealers have given the product a worse rep than it deserves. Just like the 1%'s of bikers kind of taints all.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default If you're willing to make the trip...

I had a very good experience with my dealer. Bought my last year's model spyder for almost half the MSRP. It's one of the oldest Can-Am dealers in the country and is ran like a true family business. They know their stuff.

All their prices include dealer fee and prep. Take a look: https://smithmarineusa.com/Showroom/...rent-Inventory

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    I had a very good experience with my dealer. Bought my last year's model spyder for almost half the MSRP. It's one of the oldest Can-Am dealers in the country and is ran like a true family business. They know their stuff.

All their prices include dealer fee and prep. Take a look: https://smithmarineusa.com/Showroom/...rent-Inventory
    Those prices are pretty good, but that is actually about what I paid in April to get my 2016 delivered from I-Motorsports. I am not normally the type of person to buy new (although 2 of my spyders were new), but they will be my go to dealership of choice.
    I would prefer to buy local, but they just don't want to deal here.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Buying a Spyder

'Best Deal' you can make at purchase time. All good advice as listed above. I always buy NEW. Just my input. Little Blue
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    In my case, Mike, it was speaking personally with 7 or 8 local/area Spyder owners, most of whom warned me off one dealership and/or pointed me to two others, criticism, if warranted, will usually be accepted and earn better results.
    I totally agree---one will get more accurate info talking with other Spyder owners who personally have had work performed by the dealers.
    As far a Certifications go---In my automotive shop experience a neighboring shop hired a young man who had all certifications to be a class A mechanic. Unfortunately he did better on exams than on the vehicles themselves. Anyone can sit & work thru a 2 week training class & get a passed cert--it's a good start toward evaluating the tech but nothing beats practical experience advice from other Spyder owners.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black