Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Advice?

Spyder Garage

Default Buying Advice?

I'm looking to buy a F3-T in the spring, and I could use some sage advice. Are motorcycle dealers like car dealers in the way they list "sticker prices" that no one pays? How much less should I expect to pay? Also seems that most Can Am dealers carry a lot of older new stock, 2016 models with 0 miles. And since I'm buying in 2018, what about 2017 models? How do I know what the "invoice price" is? Should I be expected to pay big $$ for their assembly fees?

Anyone buy an F3-T in the last few months (either 2016 or 2017 model)? Care to share your deal?

I assume I should buy from a local dealer to ensure a good service relationship? Or does that not matter? Are there any mega dealers that typically deal in more volume and offer better prices?

What about discounts on accessories at time of purchase (give or take a month)?

Thanks. BTW, I searched but didn't find much that was relevant.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whle the money is important: the service after the sale is what'll make or break your Spyder experience.

Find the dealership that'll give the best service for your bike, and NEVER go anywhere else!
    Happy shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Ditto Bob

Yes, buying a Spyder is similar to buying any automotive or sports product. You have many variables to deal with: Price for the unit, extended warranty option, tire and wheel packages, maintenance packages, accessory discounts, discounts for X period of time, etc. I think it’s best to go in informed and have a clear idea of what you want, what you don’t want, and prioritize what is important to you.

I agree with Bob regarding the dealer. If it were me I’d find a dealer that you’ll want to deal with years after the initial sale. My dealer is 1.5 hours away from me when I have a close dealer only 15 minutes away. Why? Because I purchased from an independent dealer that is a family business that cares about dealing we me now, and a long time into the future. It’s because I see the same people every time I go in. It’s because I can speak to the tech doing the service on my bike. It’s because they came to me when I needed help. The dealer closer to me is a mega-dealer where you never see the same person twice and no one acts like they care about anything other than selling you something. God forbid if you need service.

Good luck and enjoy what you get. The miles of smiles will be more rewarding to you than any initial deal. Great service will repay time after time, particularly in the “moment of truth” when you need it.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Look at it this way: You can't save enough money on the purchase; to make up for lousy service...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We got a 2016 F3L in January 2017. There were BRP incentives at the time to move older stock. I think we gave $22,000 for the bike. I agree with Bob find a good dealer and take care of them and they will take care of you.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Well the above is true to a certain degree, it's best to balance the price and the so called service. You can take any dealership anywhere and there will be pro's and con's from all their customers. The person you deal with will always make the difference, not the dealership. The prices on the above mentioned dealership in my opinion are out of sight and they are reluctant to deal. Rumor has it the service is good but after factoring in the price of the service plus the 3 hour round trip (what if you have to leave it overnight?) I am not so sure this is a great deal. This could be as much as two days and 6 hours of driving not to mention another person to pick you up and return.

I always go to the the same dealer and only let one tech/mech work on mine. I talk to him before and after the service and am very pleased. Dealership is terrible but I only deal with the same person that happens to be "factory trained". i.e. He did not get his certificate online. If he moves somewhere else I will follow him for my service.

What ever you feel the most comfortable with should be your choice. To save $3000-6000 dollars on purchase from another dealer would have to factor in to my choice. Remember dealers and tech/mech's come and go and you must always remain flexible in life no matter what.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default the VERY BEST price ....????

Whether buying cars, motorcycles, boats or almost anything 'big ticket', I, like most others, do try to haggle and negotiate. I'm looking for a "good deal", for sure. Whether that turns out to be the absolute best, bottom dollar price is often never really known or likely to be disclosed. Does it even really matter all that much? Here are a few things I have come to conclude after 70+ years of buying:

1 - if the deal that's offered is reasonable and within your budget, then you're often better off to take it than to try to squeeze the very last buck out of it and beat the dealer down a bit more. That dealer needs to make enough profit in order to stay in business; if he can't do that and gets discouraged, then you lose him/her as a shopping place. You can also waste a lot of time and money searching for the 'perfect deal'.

2 - as Bob D says, service for your vehicle is all important. If you want to be able to have a dealer close by, and you want good reliable service, it often begins by having a decent relationship established when you buy. A happy salesman can often be helpful when you need quality service advice; a smart salesman is already thinking ahead to 'trade-in' time, and wants you well looked after by the shop techs. If you can create a great, local business relationship, so much the better. 'Community friendship' has many advantages.

3 - many dealerships don't often make much margin on sales; it's really the 'back shop' service department that carries the operation, and is really the profitable end. There's a limit to what a dealer can reduce from MSRP and still survive; this usually depends on the volume of sales.

4 - is there negotiating room on sales? most always. That's what makes it a challenge for both buyer and seller. I don't mind the dealer making a well-earned profit on a sale to me; I just don't want him to make ALL his yearly margin out of my wallet. But I do want him around; I need him to stay in business. If I pay $20 or $200 more than someone else did for the same vehicle, well so what? Maybe I could have been tougher, bargained a bit harder. But even if my deal is only 90% or 95% as good as the next guy, I should be very, very happy. Hell, if I went home from school and showed my parents a report card with a 90% or 95% success mark, I got thoroughly rewarded. So, if you're talking a deal that's close to perfect, even if it's not quite as good as someone else in absolute terms, maybe you should take it and be as proud as if you went home with a great report card. Even 75% or 80% of perfection is pretty damn good. You and your dealer have both done well. It's a win-win. If you grind too much, and it becomes win-lose, your dealer disappears and you start looking all over again.

5 - do your homework and go comparison shopping at several dealers. Make it known that you're serious; get a written (if possible) quote on the best price for the product you want. At the next dealership, go through the same process. Compare quotes. If the dealer you prefer is slightly higher, simply say "can you match this price?; I'd like to buy here." I went to three shops before buying; fellow riders warned me off one. The other two were equally good dealers; one was slightly closer and had an excellent reputation. Their quote was slightly higher. When I showed them the other guy's figures, they told me I had been offered an excellent deal, one they found very difficult to match. But match it, they did; they wanted my business. That sale to me increased their sales volume with BRP just enough to push them into the next lower dealer-input cost range. The lower profit on my deal would soon be made up on any future sales of increased through-put. A win-win. A happy customer, happy dealer, and a great on-going relationship when I have returned for service. The salesman smiles when I walk through the door, and sees that I'm well cared for. AND I'll go back to buy again, when it comes time.

Good luck in your search. Find the Spyder you like, and start having fun. You'll be glad you did, and whatever you pay will be worth it!!!
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Whle the money is important: the service after the sale is what'll make or break your Spyder experience.

Find the dealership that'll give the best service for your bike, and NEVER go anywhere else!
    Happy shopping!
    Over the years I have found that where I buy the vehicle never needs to be serviced at that same dealership. Thus unless there are remaining items that need to be installed after you take delivery I won't necessarily combine the purchase & service location into one. A few of us drive another 50 miles to have any important service preformed rather than the closest location where we made the purchase. On another note is the resale value of Spyders isn't very rewarding so unless you're determined to buy brand new I would spend some time looking for very low mileage usage & you may find that there are several low mileage Spyder's for sale by owner that may be in better shape with additional upgrades than the one's that come directly off the showroom floor.
    True Story,
    Darrell
    Last edited by Wildrice; 12-17-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_VA View Post
    I'm looking to buy a F3-T in the spring, and I could use some sage advice. Are motorcycle dealers like car dealers in the way they list "sticker prices" that no one pays? What about discounts on accessories at time of purchase (give or take a month)?
    Before I bought my Spyder (new), I searched the internet for the model I was looking for and found very little difference in price between the dealers that had one in stock. Certainly not enough to make me want to travel far from my home for it. While I was still searching, BRP came out with a $5,000 incentive to clear out old inventory; this was instantly reflected in the online price at the dealers I was talking with. I ended up buying at my local dealer and I'm glad I did; they now sponsor our local ryding club and provide a discount on parts and accessories to club members.

As far as adding accessories at the time of purchase, I didn't get a deal price-wise. The advantage, though, was in being able to finance the whole package and have a record of the transaction for the BRP warranty.

I hope this helps.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Over the years I have found that where I buy the vehicle never needs to be serviced at that same dealership.
    While this is true: a dealership may very well bring the buying customers to the "front of the line"; when it comes time for service appointments.
    How long do you want to wait to get your bike serviced?

Spyder Garage

Default cycletrader

start educating your self at cycletrader, look over ads once a week. many dealers put ads for new and used spyders. even imotorsports will deliver.
    then you will have a better idea what price to pay. I did for years before day finally came
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE BUY AT THE BEST - - SERVICING DEALER

I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to know how all you folks ( who believe the above ) ....KNEW the Dealer they bought from had a fantastic service dept..... This sage advice has been said 10's of thousands of times here ..... PLEASE tell the rest of us ....How - You knew who the Best SERVICING dealer was .....Thank you annnnnnnnnnd Merry Christmas ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

A dilemma for sure. I have posted a very complete list of what to do's and it can be found by looking in my old "started" threads.

Readers Digest version:

The same things to get the best price on a car--usually apply.

Many factors involve the Out the door price. You will not get all of them--but get as many as you can. There is a lot of room to "negotiate."

MSRP and Trade IN are negotiable. They usually give on one or the other.

Don't pay set up or freight.

Don't pay DOC fees if possible. $150 to push the print button???

Ask for extended warranty or discounts of some type on accessories. Lots of money to play with there. Pay full price on accessories get free install, etc.

Check on financing rates from dealer AND your personal bank. Don't get sucked into dealer reserve--dealer arranges financing, they quote you rate X (which is a couple points above the bank rate), they get a check from the bank for the difference.

Dealer servicing vs. better deal elsewhere? That is a decision you will have to make. Here, only one dealer. Since I have bought 5 Spyders and five motorcycles from the same place in 16 years, they treat me right without any BS.

My last bike--I bought a brand new 2015 Vulcan 900 LT--last year for $7,000 out the door. They were asking $9,300. That included $400 plus in accessories which they installed for free, no freight, no set up--I gave them the DOC fee $50 and let them arrange the financing--they found a half point less than I could have got from the bank.

My last car--a 2017 Subaru Outback--$30,000 MSRP. Traded in a two year old Forester. $13,000 out the door. Paid cash. Have purchased six Subaru from the same dealer since 2001.

Good luck with your hunt.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-18-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

While this is true: a dealership may very well bring the buying customers to the "front of the line"; when it comes time for service appointments.
    How long do you want to wait to get your bike serviced?
    My garage has a basement entrance & an entry way entrance, plus the double door & single garage door---usually less than 20 steps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to know how all you folks ( who believe the above ) ....KNEW the Dealer they bought from had a fantastic service dept..... This sage advice has been said 10's of thousands of times here ..... PLEASE tell the rest of us ....How - You knew who the Best SERVICING dealer was .....Thank you annnnnnnnnnd Merry Christmas ...... Mike
    & what day to bring it in when the top tech was working

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    start educating your self at cycletrader, look over ads once a week. many dealers put ads for new and used spyders. even imotorsports will deliver.
    then you will have a better idea what price to pay. I did for years before day finally came

Craigslist is also great if you live somewhat close to a larger city. I've sold more on Craigslist than all the other sources combined. A few buyers drove over 90 miles.
    Good Luck--Lots of good advice.
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

What ever you feel the most comfortable with should be your choice. To save $3000-6000 dollars on purchase from another dealer would have to factor in to my choice. Remember dealers and tech/mech's come and go and you must always remain flexible in life no matter what.

​Jack
    I agree with Jack----the mechanics come & go, thus great service & repair one time doesn't guarantee the same shop will provide the same quality of service the next time. One does need to place a limit on how far to drive for service or it'll double the effort.
    Darrell

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Darrell,
    To me: it's just a good stretch of the legs!
    Oh! and lots of folks don't do their own work...
    No space
    No tools
    No skills
    Physical limitations (My own personal limitation )
    The complexity of modern vehicles can be daunting to a lot of folks, and reliance on GOOD service from the Dealer is a necessity.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    & what day to bring it in when the top tech was working
    ​Simply call and check if you have taken the time to ask around. Introduce yourself to him and get a little knowledge. Don't be shy and find out who does the best work

on Spyders. Do a little research at the dealers. Don't just drop it off and hope for the best. Yeppers, even you have a responsibility to see that the right person works on your Spyder. Not all tech/mechs are equal or in some cases not even close.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 12-17-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Simply call and check if you have taken the time to ask around. Introduce yourself to him and get a little knowledge. Don't be shy and find out who does the best work on Spyders. Do a little research at the dealers. Don't just drop it off and hope for the best. Yeppers, even you have a responsibility to see that the right person works on your Spyder. Not all tech/mechs are equal or in some cases not even close. Jack
    While I agree with you in principle, Jack, I don't think this is very useful advice unless you explain how to do that.
    How do you find out which dealer has properly trained and licensed techs?
    How do you find out which tech that is?
    How do you arrange to speak with that tech?
    How do you ensure the service department assigns your Spyder to that tech?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Default Buying in Manassas VA area

Check with MotoMember in Leesburg (they are going to be moving to a brand new building in Lovettsville but not sure if they have done that yet) and Virginia Power Motor Sports in Ruckersville for some fairly local to Manassas dealers for pricing. I found they not only provide great service but competitive pricing. Also consider having one delivered to your door purchasing from iMotorSports (sponsor on this site). Read other postings about purchasing from them. Very good reviews. You will good a great price from most dealers buying leftover 2017 and some still have 2016's if you don't have a real need for a 2018. Not a big difference in my opinion other than the new dash.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    While I agree with you in principle, Jack, I don't think this is very useful advice unless you explain how to do that.
    It's actually pretty easy: go ask questions; see what certifications they have posted on the walls; let the Service Manager know what you want, why you want it... and then insist upon it!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Happy shopping!
    I totally disagree with the above. I purchased 2 new spyders and tried to get a deal with the locals, and no one was even close (3 local dealers). I purchased both of my bikes from out of state, and had them shipped. On the 2014, I saved $5500 (buying in September of 2014), and on the 2016, I saved over $5,000 (buying in April of 2017).
    Now, I went back to the local dealerships and told them, they lost the sale, but they can earn the service. After talking to all 3, I chose one 20 miles away, and they treat me very well. Great prices, a percentage of whatever I purchase towards my next service, etc.. You just have to be upfront and let them know you want to deal local, but you are not a fool.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Simply ask questions and ask to speak to the tech/mech you decide will do your work. It's your money and you have a right to know. I do this with all my vehicles. Never

had anyone say no. If they did I would go elsewhere.

​Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_VA View Post
    I'm looking to buy a F3-T in the spring, and I could use some sage advice. Are motorcycle dealers like car dealers in the way they list "sticker prices" that no one pays? How much less should I expect to pay? Also seems that most Can Am dealers carry a lot of older new stock, 2016 models with 0 miles. And since I'm buying in 2018, what about 2017 models? How do I know what the "invoice price" is? Should I be expected to pay big $$ for their assembly fees?

Anyone buy an F3-T in the last few months (either 2016 or 2017 model)? Care to share your deal?

I assume I should buy from a local dealer to ensure a good service relationship? Or does that not matter? Are there any mega dealers that typically deal in more volume and offer better prices?

What about discounts on accessories at time of purchase (give or take a month)?

Thanks. BTW, I searched but didn't find much that was relevant.
    I see you already have got a lot of comments on your questions!! and they are all correct for the most part. I live in the Omaha market where there are two Spyder dealers - one with reasonably OK service and the other terrible. However, both dealers are NOT good to deal with on a purchase. I have a pending trade of my 2014 RT Limited for a 2018 RT Limited and went 50 miles away to get the deal (same dealer I got the 2014 from). AND I'm talking about $3,500-$4,000 net differences!!! I even got a better net trade price from IMotorsports in Chicago than locally and they would deliver and pick up????? we all know there is a lot of margin in these overpriced Spyders so it is a buyer beware....... Good luck.
    BIG F