Spyder Garage

Default air bag motor not running-2015 RT-Limited

I have a 2015 RT-Limited and my air ride system motor pump is no longer running and I get a "MANUAL" note on the dashboard. Can anyone tell me what fuse and where it is located to check so I can see if it is that simple or not?

On my old 2012 RT-SE5- Condensation had gotten into the motor and fitting and cracked and failed when temperatures got to freezing. I am wondering if I am having the same situation now on my 2015 RT-Limited. I would have thought BRP would have fixed that but maybe not. When it happened on my old 2012, it was covered under warranty and my dealer put better fittings in it and never had issues again.

Thanks for you help!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried airing up the bag manually? You need to determine if you have a hole in the air bag. If you have a hole then the compressor likely burned out trying to keep the bag full.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default No hole in airbag-

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Have you tried airing up the bag manually? You need to determine if you have a hole in the air bag. If you have a hole then the compressor likely burned out trying to keep the bag full.
    No, no hole in airbag, plus I clean around the airbag base because rocks and grit can get in there and wear a hole in the bag. So am cautious of that already plus this Spyder doesn't even have 2000 miles on it yet.

The motor was working two rides ago. Noticed it was not working the last ride we went on and my wife said she couldn't see over my head like she normally does.

At one point shut the bike off, removed the key, and re-started and the "MANUAL" message went away and the gauge showed it was full pressure (at top) but we don't hear the pump kick on anymore.

I have not aired up the bag manually. That will be my next trick. I checked the pressure reading in the manual just haven't had time to air it up manually.

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    No, no hole in airbag, plus I clean around the airbag base because rocks and grit can get in there and wear a hole in the bag. So am cautious of that already plus this Spyder doesn't even have 2000 miles on it yet.

The motor was working two rides ago. Noticed it was not working the last ride we went on and my wife said she couldn't see over my head like she normally does.

At one point shut the bike off, removed the key, and re-started and the "MANUAL" message went away and the gauge showed it was full pressure (at top) but we don't hear the pump kick on anymore.

I have not aired up the bag manually. That will be my next trick. I checked the pressure reading in the manual just haven't had time to air it up manually.

I had a hole in my air bag and the compressor had a hard time keeping up. My warranty paid for it.
    Mine had over 130,000 miles on it so something like this can be expected, but yours going out with
    only 2000 miles? That's rare. Do you ride in gravel a lot?
    Chuck

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We sell a inexpensive protector that goes around the bottom of the airbag.

https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/

Spyder Garage

Default gravel road 1/2 mile

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    I had a hole in my air bag and the compressor had a hard time keeping up. My warranty paid for it.
    Mine had over 130,000 miles on it so something like this can be expected, but yours going out with
    only 2000 miles? That's rare. Do you ride in gravel a lot?
    Chuck

I drive about 10 to 15 mph on our gravel road for only 1/2 mile (Total coming and going 1 mile) but I wash out around the airbag when I clean the bike because I have heard that gravel or sand can get up there and rub a hole.

I agree that with slightly under 2000 miles on it that it is probably NOT the problem. We ride two up all the time.

I truly feel it is either a fuse, and that is why I posted this in the first place for help knowing for sure which fuse I should pull and look at and location of that one.

Or....I have had moisture (Condensation build up from running the pump which generates warm air) once again, and when it has frozen it has ruptured the fittings. On my 2012 that happened and my dealer replaced the fittings with better fittings and the pump was replaced. When that happened I couldn't manually put air in as it would leak from the cracked fittings and not hold the air pressure in the bag. so I'll air it manually and see if it is holding. I just thought if it was a fuse it might save me time in trailering it 2 1/2 hours to my dealer.

Thank you for all your help and others too!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I truly feel it is either a fuse, and that is why I posted this in the first place for help knowing for sure which fuse I should pull and look at and location of that one.
    Do the horn, heated grips, and fog lights work? If so, the fuse is good. They're all on the same fuse with the compressor.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks- I checked what you said and it's not the fuse!

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Do the horn, heated grips, and fog lights work? If so, the fuse is good. They're all on the same fuse with the compressor.

Wish these things were easier to work on but it looks like I am going to have to haul it to my dealer down in Springfield. Trying to decide when I can do that with the holidays and winter forecast coming up next week.

What's interesting is I started the bike up this afternoon and the things you said to check I did and they all work. I am not getting the "MANUAL" message like I did before about air bag system. I can now use the toggle switch and move it from soft to firm but nothing is letting out pressure or adding it, no sound from the pump.

My next little test will be to air it up manually. Figure I'll put it at 75 PSI and see if it holds or how it acts. With slightly under 2000 miles I wouldn't think it was a hole in the airbag because we never heard the pump running non-stop.

I have a bait station near the bike in the barn where the Spyder is parked but don't think it's rodent related. Even though I did find a dead mouse in the goat trough this afternoon but that was clear at the other end of the barn.

Wish it wasn't winter and wish I was fully retired but getting closer each day! When you are an educator it's hard to get that time to do things like this!

Thanks for your time and help! MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY 2018 to you and yours in IDAHO!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wish these things were easier to work on but it looks like I am going to have to haul it to my dealer down in Springfield. Trying to decide when I can do that with the holidays and winter forecast coming up next week.

What's interesting is I started the bike up this afternoon and the things you said to check I did and they all work. I am not getting the "MANUAL" message like I did before about air bag system. I can now use the toggle switch and move it from soft to firm but nothing is letting out pressure or adding it, no sound from the pump.

My next little test will be to air it up manually. Figure I'll put it at 75 PSI and see if it holds or how it acts. With slightly under 2000 miles I wouldn't think it was a hole in the airbag because we never heard the pump running non-stop.

I have a bait station near the bike in the barn where the Spyder is parked but don't think it's rodent related. Even though I did find a dead mouse in the goat trough this afternoon but that was clear at the other end of the barn.

Wish it wasn't winter and wish I was fully retired but getting closer each day! When you are an educator it's hard to get that time to do things like this!

Thanks for your time and help! MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY 2018 to you and yours in IDAHO!
    For the compressor to work the bike must be in gear and the parking brake off.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default I Have

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Aired mine up the other day took it up to 60#, scared to go all the way to 70 like the manual says came back and it was back to zero. I did that a couple of times and then called the dealer and told them. I have it put up for the winter. The wife and i are hoping this to be a warranty issue. We bought a 2013 RT Limited used with 10,900 on it, The dealer has repaired a couple of oil leaks for us under warranty, and we are lucky our dealer is only 15 minutes away

Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bag fills quick, go slow.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RTL, had a air line leaking on it causing the compressor to run too much. Line was replaced under warranty, couple months later the compressor stopped and it was replaces under warranty last month.
    Now it kicks in a lot less and runs very very quietly.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Did all that and still didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    For the compressor to work the bike must be in gear and the parking brake off.
    I did all that and still nothing! Just FYI!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks-Dave- good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    Aired mine up the other day took it up to 60#, scared to go all the way to 70 like the manual says came back and it was back to zero. I did that a couple of times and then called the dealer and told them. I have it put up for the winter. The wife and i are hoping this to be a warranty issue. We bought a 2013 RT Limited used with 10,900 on it, The dealer has repaired a couple of oil leaks for us under warranty, and we are lucky our dealer is only 15 minutes away

Dave
    HI Dave!

Thanks for the information. I know my old 2012 had the fittings on the pump crack and broke when moisture from condensation froze inside the fittings and expanded and cracked the fittings. The air bag couldn't even be aired up manually in that situation but BRP had replaced the pump under warranty and the dealer mechanic used better fittings on the pump that they got at a local hardware store. So back then, that is how they dealt with it. This time with my 2015 I am not sure what's going on. I was told when I bought the new RT-Limited that BRP had put better fittings on it. Now I am beginning to wonder but can't confirm what the issue is yet so we will see. Again thank you for your feedback on this too. Merry Christmas!

Spyder Garage

Default I will use the Lamonster Air Pump to air it up

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Bag fills quick, go slow.

I was planning on using Lamont's rechargeable air pump to air up the air bag manually. At least I can dial in the pressure i want and the pump will shut off automatically when it hits the preset pressure.

I figured I'd better not use a normal air compressor or like you said, I'd be in trouble cause it would air up too quickly and well....you know!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks---hadn't noticed the air leaking or motor running excessivly-

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I have a 2015 RTL, had a air line leaking on it causing the compressor to run too much. Line was replaced under warranty, couple months later the compressor stopped and it was replaces under warranty last month.
    Now it kicks in a lot less and runs very very quietly.
    Wondering about that myself but we had not heard any more pump running then normal and hadn't noticed the rear dipping down or re-adjusting either. Very odd that it just simply up and stopped. I mean it worked one day. Went out and put the key in and started it and immediately got a "MANUAL" orange notice on my screen.

Since then though I don't get that manual warning and the toggle switch moves the firm to soft and soft to firm, just no pump. Very odd!

Thank you for your help!

Spyder Garage

Default Just got the pump fixed this week----it failed

Well, thought i'd update you all on the saga!

I finally was able to get my 2015 RT-Limited to the shop, had to wait for "Spring Break" and time off of school to do it. Anyway it was indeed a failed air pump motor and thankfully it was replaced under the 2 year orginal Spyder Warranty. That would have expired at the end of this month! I do have an extended warranty so if it happens again it will be covered. Apparently from what I am hearing, it's a fairly common issue with the Spyders. i had a 2012 and had a pump fail due to moisture that got into the fittings and froze and spliut the fitting which was replaced with brass and never failed again. This one they said has a check valve but was told it's the same motor and apparently they have issues with it.

I saw another thread on here about going to a heavier shock on the rear especilly if riding 2-up. Well, I was told that instead of replacing 1 pump a year let's say, you might go longer before having to replace but there is still an issue so a stronger spring back there isn't going to solve the issues.

For what it is worth, just thought I'd pass on my esperience here.

This pump sounds different then the original one so maybe the original did have an issue. Regardless for 30K for a bike I'd like to think the components would last longer and be more reliable. Heck I have less than 3,000 miles on it so am quite surprised that this happened.

Take care!

Spyder Garage

My 2014 needed a new pump. Dealer also did it under BRP warranty. 13,000miles. No hole in bag. Luck of the draw I guess.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Air Bag Motor

Thanks for the update and TIPS.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue