Spyder Garage

Default Ford's Ecoboost....who has one?

In the market for a used pickup, and I'm kinda partial to the F150...no good reason other than having owned quite a few Fords. Peekin at the V6 Ecoboosts. Does anyone wanna share their experiences with theirs? This would be a replacement for an Escape with a 3.oL V6 in it. I'd like a bit more oomph to pull the Spyder around.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LOTS of power!
    (Of of my clients has one, and he let me take it for a spin.)
    But that aluminum body WILL cost a ton more to fix; if it gets dinged!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have 2 different neighbours that have them. One is a friend who is a "car guy" and he has always been into V8's for his trucks. His prior F150 was an 8 so I was surprised when he got the ecoboost. He loves it and says it is way better than the prior 8 for pulling his 18-20 foot inboard boat. Better torque and faster.
    The other neighbour I don't know as well but also a "car guy"and he also has one and pulls a 30+ foot travel trailer and a really large speed boat that is twin engine and about 25-30 feet long. We live in a mountainous area and we live up a pretty steep hill and he never seems to have any trouble coming up based on the speed he travels.
    Neither one is a loyal brand follower. The first mentioned owns a beautiful Pontiac Trans Am and the second owns a pampered Dodge Viper.
    Hope that helps.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I personally would go with the 5.0. Although I have heard a lot of good things about the ecoboost, and I know they make good power. I have heard from a mechanic friend that after about 60k miles, the head gaskets seem to want to blow, and also he has had to actually replace heads on a few units. I personally have no experience with them, but I do know that in order to make power out of the smaller engines, they have to run boost, which creates heat, and too much heat and pressure can be bad.
    On a similar tip, I have a supercharged 5.4 in my lightning, and it makes it's power the same way (boost makes power). But I am very seldom in the boost mod.
    I have also heard that when pulling a load with the ecoboost, the gas milage isn't that much better than the 5.0.
    I still believe there is no replacement for displacement.
    JMHO
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I've had two F150 with the 5.0 liter and the current truck has the 2.7 eco boost. The little six banger performs way better than the v8. under load it gets about the same milage but it takes fuel to make hp. I average around 20 mpg street and hwy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Came from an 8 and don't miss it at all. '12 F 150, very good mileage (towing included) and tows like a champ (2 sleds & full trailer). Hills included. 75 K on it. If you go used you shouldn't have to worry about aluminum but you're seeing more of it.

Wife has a '13 Escape. 65 K and never an issue. Plenty of power to pass or pull (has a hitch). Great mileage.

Also, test drove an Expedition with same, it was great.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Saluda; 12-16-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    I've had two F150 with the 5.0 liter and the current truck has the 2.7 eco boost. The little six banger performs way better than the v8. under load it gets about the same milage but it takes fuel to make hp. I average around 20 mpg street and hwy.

Interesting. I am considering a 2.7 V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew as my next vehicle. For me, comfortable seating and gas mileage are primary concerns. Your 20 mpg average caught my eye. Please describe your truck (cab, bed, 2WD or 4WD) and the terrain where you drive.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

2017 F150 super crew XLT. 2.7 eco boost, 6 speed, 4x4 with 3.55 axle. Driving consists of streets, hwy and mountains. Usually don't tow more than 2500 lbs.

Spyder Garage

Well, I'm glad I asked. I thought the ecoboost was the 3.5L V6. Looks like I have a bit more researching to do. Thanks all!!!
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

EcoBoost? I'm happy to get 10 mpg with the V-10 in my motorhome... and I LOVE it!

Spyder Garage

There are 2 different Ecoboost engines available in the current F150. A 2.7 and a 3.5. The 3.5 has been around nearly 10 yrs having started in the SHO and Lincoln MKS. My wife has her second one in her Explorer and really likes it. Her first was in an MKT.

One of the really great things about Ford's EcoBoost technology that puts it well ahead of other brand turbo engines is its ability to run just fine on regular gas. EcoBoost is much more than just a turbo on a small engine. The patented tech actually has to do with the combination of computer controlled exhaust gas recirculation to regulate combustion rate and temp along with direct injection to eliminate pre ignition.

All that said, you could not pry my diesel truck out of my hands.....Just no substitute for 1000 ft lbs of torque.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Torque is what gets the cap off your beer!