Thread: Frunk switch

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk switch

My frunk will not open using the switch on the dash. I looked in the manual to see if there was a fuse in the panel but could not find one. Does anyone know if it has a fuse?

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk

What switch on the dash? You mean the Key? It is just a cable as far as I know. Nothing electrical.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Waynebang i View Post
    My frunk will not open using the switch on the dash. I looked in the manual to see if there was a fuse in the panel but could not find one. Does anyone know if it has a fuse?
    I have a 2011 RTS with an electric frunk release. I found out that if the switch inside the frunk is not adjusted correct, the switch on the panel will not open the frunk. The switch inside the frunk is located near the frunk latch directly below the windshield and slightly to the right.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

There were frunk release switches on the older model RT's. My 2011 is so equipped.

Gone by 2014. But...I can repeat my rant again. I would rather have an electric frunk release than the ECO mode.

PS. It is an adjustment thing if it does not work. In most situations.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My switch quit working and had to replace it. Might want to check that. Dealer told me that is why they quit putting them the newer models. I like having it on my 2013 RT.
    Last edited by rtotten; 12-15-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    There were frunk release switches on the older model RT's. My 2011 is so equipped.

Gone by 2014. But...I can repeat my rant again. I would rather have an electric frunk release than the ECO mode.

PS. It is an adjustment thing if it does not work. In most situations.
    Agreed! Silly Eco mode button. I didn't buy my Spyder for economy, I bought it for fun -and it's paid off in spades. If I had wanted Eco I would have bought a Vespa or some other little tiddler machine.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Open the frunk with your key. Turn on the ignition - no need to start the engine. Once the computer boots up, press the frunk switch. If it is working, you will hear the solenoid click. If you hear nothing, most likely a bad switch. Mine has been replaced twice under warranty. If your frunk has the light in it, you can check the micro switch by pressing it gently with your finger. If it clicks and the light goes out, it's definitely the dash switch. If the light does not go out, the problem is the microswitch.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Open the frunk with your key. Turn on the ignition - no need to start the engine. Once the computer boots up, press the frunk switch. If it is working, you will hear the solenoid click.
    Not quite. If the frunk lid is open the solenoid doesn't operate. The microswitch is like a three way switch. It's in the ground side of both the solenoid and the frunk light. Depending on which position it's in determines if the solenoid or the light is grounded and works.

The lever on the microswitch gets bent easily and the tab on the frunk lid misses it. Make sure it's being pressed down by the lid.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Not quite. If the frunk lid is open the solenoid doesn't operate. The microswitch is like a three way switch. It's in the ground side of both the solenoid and the frunk light. Depending on which position it's in determines if the solenoid or the light is grounded and works.

The lever on the microswitch gets bent easily and the tab on the frunk lid misses it. Make sure it's being pressed down by the lid.
    You are correct. Thanks for jogging my memory. I forgot that I had to depress the microswitch and then press the frunk release button to check it. Then you will or will not hear the solenoid. Another thing: The last time my RT was at the dealer, they pulled the nose off, and when I got it back, the frunk switch did not work, and the key release was very difficult to operate. I bent up the microswitch lever a bit, and then had to realign the frunk lid. After that, all was fine.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 12-16-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Look at this.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Waynebang i View Post
    The switch won't last long, I have my install just over a year and stop working, I did remove and open the switch and I found internal a switch contact burn, it cost over $60 , I just clean the contact and it work again, the hard art is you have to remove the switch to do the job, may just replace the new switch .

Spyder Garage

It's helpful to check the micro-switch & frunk lid alignment etc, but don't necessarily dream that the ONLY issues these things have will be down at the catch end!! As others are beginning to suggest (see hobbykim's post above!) the DASH SWITCH may be the problem. The dash switch for the frunk on my 2013 RT Ltd failed - twice!! Both times within the first 12 months after buying the Spyder new!

Yes, we tested everything else and it is DEFINITELY the dash switch that does the failing.... On my Spyder, this switch operates the Park Brake (which still works) when pressed one way, & it triggers the Frunk Opening Solenoid when pressed the other way; but despite there being power to the Frunk opening solenoid, NOTHING gets thru that side of the switch when it is activated.... well, at least nothing gets thru 99 out of 100 times anyway, altho it still does work once every now & again (& I'm not kidding about having to activate the switch, with a pause between activations, at least 99/100 times to get just one successful opening!! I've counted these failed activation attempts in front of witnesses more than once! Even got other people to try with the same results, so it's not the way I'm holding my tongue!!) My entire 'Frunk Opening System' has been checked by a few different dealer techs & by a non-dealer Spyder Master Tech or whatever they call them, and both the Dealer & non-Dealer Master Techs are flummoxed by the problem; neither have been able to get the switch replaced under warranty despite this originally occurring within the warranty period & yet both agree that it's DEFINITELY the switch not working properly, altho both have absobloodylutely NFI why the switch would work once in a blue moon but not at all otherwise; and neither can offer any explanation for the SECOND switch failing almost immediately too - we did get about 20 or so 'successful openings' before it too died; ie, just enough successful attempts for us to be lulled into a false sense of success & then for me to get the Spyder home again with its new & pretty expensive switch proudly in place & supposedly working, before it too failed in exactly the same manner!!

So going by my experiences, I reckon that many more Spyders than most think will really have a dud switch problem rather than a micro-switch &/or misalignment problem.... altho maybe the micro-switch/misalignment might be contributing to an early activation switch failure??! Dunno? Buuut, after the second switch failure, the non- dealer tech here suggested trying an a/mkt switch to really confirm or deny the switch being the issue, and strangely enough, so far, that a/mkt switch has been quite successful! The OE switch with the Dud Frunk opening side still functions fine for the parking brake, but nowdays, a couple of slots in the dash over, I have an un-marked momentary action switch fitted which has successfully been my electronic 'Frunk opening' activation switch for about 2 years, with not one single issue from it in all that time!

Of course, YMMV, but I reckon the switch on the dash is worth checking out as the cause; & possibly even by-passing it entirely by installing an alternative switch elsewhere. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-27-2017 at 07:47 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!