Spyder Garage

Default HELP...Getting ready to Ryde

Howdy.

I took the day off from teaching today to service my RT and RT622,

I ran into a small problem when trying to take off the wheels on the trailer.

WHAT SIZE SOCKET DO I NEED? The 4-way lug wrench failed.

Going to visit a Desert Storm widow in Alabama, then on to Pensacaloa to visit Air Force friends, and then to Tampa to visit my college professor.

Thanks,

JOHN

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I know the spyder lugnuts are 21mm or 13/16". seems the trailer should be the same.

Spyder Garage

Default Socket

[QUOTE=Air Force PAO;1322591]Howdy.

I took the day off from teaching today to service my RT and RT622,

I ran into a small problem when trying to take off the wheels on the trailer.

WHAT SIZE SOCKET DO I NEED? The 4-way lug wrench failed.

Going to visit a Desert Storm widow in Alabama, then on to Pensacaloa to visit Air Force friends, and then to Tampa to visit my college professor.

Thanks,

JOHN[/QUOT

21 MM, and it HAS to be a thin wall socket

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above....

The thin wall socket is the key....and don't over-torque when re-installing...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Agree with all of the above, and definitely use a thin wall deep well socket. Loosen the lug nuts before jacking up the trailer. I found it helpful to have another person hold the trailer at the rear, otherwise it will roll all over the place when you try to break the lug nuts loose. Also, make sure that your jack is under the frame, not the body. Same goes with reinstalling the lug nuts, except your helper should hold the front. I torque the lug nuts to 85 lb ft. The manual says 77 lb ft =/- 11 lb ft. I find that 85 works well. Never had a problem with that value.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Lug nuts

Thank you all.

John

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

If you don't have a helper, hook trailer to bike when loosening or tightening lugs. That's the way I've done it in the past.
    2012 RTS SE5, GT stripes, belt guard, hmt brake light, lower vent heat deflector, driver foot boards, Corbin seat, RH vent covers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mustangbob View Post
    If you don't have a helper, hook trailer to bike when loosening or tightening lugs. That's the way I've done it in the past.
    Now that's a great idea. Wish I had thought of it. I'll do that next spring when I repack the bearings. Thanks!
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic