Thread: Bike died today

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Bike died today

Bike died today. 2011 RTL started bike and noticed unusual sound. Thought it sounded like a fan but I had the helmet on and the hearing aids out. Got the bike stopped in a safe location and turned off key. Starter was still running with key off. Could not get it to stop. Then all went dead no power at all no screens suspect battery died or some main fuse. Had bike towed home and left it in garage had to get to work
    Any thoughts

Thanks

CaptC

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a bad starter solenoid and from your description it went on enough that you will need a new starter as well. If they are not separate you will need a new one anyway. Good luck. With a shop manual this is something I would try myself. I don't think you have to take the engine out of the frame to access the starter.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Not all bad news

Starter still running with the key off - If you're certain it was the starter running, than more than likely the starting solenoid as mentioned. But, there's also some aspects of good news.

First, the starting solenoid is on the left side just ahead of the battery, not integral to the starter motor. Pull off the long left side panel and you'll see it nestled in there. Just follow the large red battery cable. Kind of a pain to get to. You'll also want to check the Pre-Starting relay R2, up in the front fuse box just to make sure everything is OK with that.

Also, the starter motor will disengage itself from the engine crank shaft once the engine starts. It doesn't use a bendix drive like we're all familiar with. Instead, there is a Sprag clutch - what some call an over-running clutch - in that gear train assembly. So, the point is that when the engine started, your starter motor should not have been forced to spin at any extreme rate where it might have tried to self destruct.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 12-14-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Starter still running with the key off - If you're certain it was the starter running, than more than likely the starting solenoid as mentioned. But, there's also some aspects of good news.

First, the starting solenoid is on the left side just ahead of the battery, not integral to the starter motor. Pull off the long left side panel and you'll see it nestled in there. Just follow the large red battery cable. Kind of a pain to get to. You'll also want to check the Pre-Starting relay R2, up in the front fuse box just to make sure everything is OK with that.

Also, the starter motor will disengage itself from the engine crank shaft once the engine starts. It doesn't use a bendix drive like we're all familiar with. Instead, there is a Sprague clutch - what some call an over-running clutch - in that gear train assembly. So, the point is that when the engine started, your starter motor should not have been forced to spin at any extreme rate where it might have tried to self destruct.

Good luck with it.

Looks like my week for the sprag clutch The sprag clutch on My Rotax 912 LSA is being replaced Friday I am an OK mech but that is above my comfort level

I know where the solenoid is and it looks easy I am still not quite sure where the starter is. Looks like under the air box on the right side?

CaptC

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Starter

Yeah - right side, forward of the water pump. Back behind the radiator - ish - which might have to come out in order to remove the starter. The two mounting screws and power wire will be easy enough to spot. Maybe you won't need to pull the starter unless you have to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captc View Post
    Looks like my week for the sprag clutch The sprag clutch on My Rotax 912 LSA is being replaced Friday I am an OK mech but that is above my comfort level

I know where the solenoid is and it looks easy I am still not quite sure where the starter is. Looks like under the air box on the right side?

CaptC

I might have to come down there one day and fly with ya

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post
    I might have to come down there one day and fly with ya
    Come On Down!

Always looking for a reason to Fly

2010 PiperSport LSA

Captc