Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLEED BRAKES

Spyder Garage

Default BLEED BRAKES

OK, tomorrow i bleed the brake system on my 2015 F3 for the 1st time....
    I'm of the opinion that the sequence for bleeding is: rear, left front and lastly the right front caliper.... am i correct...?
    anyone have any additional tips....
    thanx in advance....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I guess like any other brake system, bleed the caliper farthest away from the master cylinder and work your way "in".

Is there a specific reason you need to bleed your brakes ?
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    I guess like any other brake system, bleed the caliper farthest away from the master cylinder and work your way "in".

Is there a specific reason you need to bleed your brakes ?

the BOOK says to change the brake fluid at 28,000 miles from what I'm told....
    i have 45,000 miles of smiles on mine, so i guess i'm over-due...
    dp

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To avoid air bubbles use a pressure bleeder

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    the BOOK says to change the brake fluid at 28,000 miles from what I'm told....
    i have 45,000 miles of smiles on mine, so i guess i'm over-due...
    dp

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RT calls for a fluid change at 14,500 or 2 years which ever comes first. I had mine done at 14,500 and it was actually 4 years. The fluid looked really bad. I had it done by the dealer that time but will try it myself next time which will be this spring when the world warms back up. I am pushing 36,000 miles and it is coming up on 2 years. BTW I don't like the brakes on the 2012,they always feel mushy but I have had them bled twice with no change.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default yup

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    To avoid air bubbles use a pressure bleeder
    yup, i have a pressure (vacuum) bleeder, and have performed this function on many cars/trucks, but this is the 1st time on a SPYD3R.....
    i've performed this function on a BMW, and the book specified to start at the left front wheel, and i was wondering if BRP did something strange on the sequence for bleeding....

Spyder Garage

OK, tomorrow i bleed the brake system on my 2015 F3 for the 1st time....
    I'm of the opinion that the sequence for bleeding is: rear, left front and lastly the right front caliper.... am i correct...?
    anyone have any additional tips....
    thanx in advance....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    My green manual says the bleeding sequence on my '14 RT-S is L caliper, R caliper, rear caliper. The manual also gives a manual bleeding procedure followed by a B.U.D.S. bleeding sequence. That bleeds the ABS system too through bleeding the VCM. My owner's manual says to change the brake fluid every 2 years.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 !

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    My 2012 RT calls for a fluid change at 14,500 or 2 years which ever comes first. I had mine done at 14,500 and it was actually 4 years. The fluid looked really bad. I had it done by the dealer that time but will try it myself next time which will be this spring when the world warms back up. I am pushing 36,000 miles and it is coming up on 2 years. BTW I don't like the brakes on the 2012,they always feel mushy but I have had them bled twice with no change.
    yes , going to do mine this winter session , of no ride . went for a good run last month , noticed the brake was a bit more play than I like , so will do either brake pads change and bleed , or start with the bleed and see how they stop before the pads change ! { wonder if Santa could do a whip them into shape before he takes off from the package drop }

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Lines

Does anyone know if stainless steel-wrapped brake lines are available? Just curious.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Default BUDS CODES

OK, here's the latest......
    a member gave me a print-out of the manuals BRAKE SYSTEM...
    To perform a COMPLETE BRAKE SYSTEM BLEED, the manual states to start with: 1. Left Front Caliper, 2. Right Front Caliper, 3. Rear Caliper & 4. VCM..... Question: what is a VCM...?
    Then it states to: Connect to B.U.D.S. and log on... is it absolutely necessary to log on BUDS for the system to work properly....? Or can this be eliminated...? has anyone NOT logged onto BUDS with good results...?
    I guess my 20 years away from this type of work, and all these electronics has left me in the dark...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Using Buds to bleed the VCM would be a more complete job, but skipping that part will only leave a small amount of old fluid in the system. I skipped that part.

Warning. Many folks have run into trouble by turning the ignition key on too soon. If you don't pump up the brake pedal until it is all the way up and firm before turning on the key. You will get a low pressure fault.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default thx

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Using Buds to bleed the VCM would be a more complete job, but skipping that part will only leave a small amount of old fluid in the system. I skipped that part.

Warning. Many folks have run into trouble by turning the ignition key on too soon. If you don't pump up the brake pedal until it is all the way up and firm before turning on the key. You will get a low pressure fault.

THX Billy.... good info....
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default BLEEDING BRAKES

Dan there is a video on YouTube that shows a guy bleeding the brakes on an RS.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Mine were mushy also, when I had the front brake pads replaced they bled them and now it's hard.
    I have to kep adding fluid a very couple of months. Maybe mushy is better

Spyder Garage

OK, here's the latest......
    a member gave me a print-out of the manuals BRAKE SYSTEM...
    To perform a COMPLETE BRAKE SYSTEM BLEED, the manual states to start with: 1. Left Front Caliper, 2. Right Front Caliper, 3. Rear Caliper & 4. VCM..... Question: what is a VCM...?
    Then it states to: Connect to B.U.D.S. and log on... is it absolutely necessary to log on BUDS for the system to work properly....? Or can this be eliminated...? has anyone NOT logged onto BUDS with good results...?
    I guess my 20 years away from this type of work, and all these electronics has left me in the dark...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Yes, I replaced my master cylinder and the dealer told me that they had to bleed the brakes, because you can't do it without the buds system. I told him to go screw himself that I could do it myself.
    I was wrong. I put a gallon and a half of fluid through the system and the best I could get is pumping the brakes to stop.
    Over time it got better but was never good

Spyder Garage

Default Its one of those maintainance items I have my dealer do..

I have been pleased with the couple of times that the bike was in for other things and Fremont got them flushed and bled as well as the clutch fluid on the 2011 SM5. Just had them flush the brake fluid on the 15 RT last month and now with a new oil change it is ready for winter...after I wash and wax and maybe sneak in a ryde or two!!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    Does anyone know if stainless steel-wrapped brake lines are available? Just curious.

If you can't find any available you can always make your own. I always make my own for the vintage bikes I restore and I will make a set for my Spyder when the time comes. Not hard to do and I get my supplies here https://www.anplumbing.com/ It is a good idea to change the fluid every two years regardless of mileage because the fluid draws moisture whether the bike id being ridden or not. Moisture is the death of braking systems on bikes because of the corrosion it causes and it doesn't take long once the process has started.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Navydad!!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    Mine were mushy also, when I had the front brake pads replaced they bled them and now it's hard.
    I have to kep adding fluid a very couple of months. Maybe mushy is better
    No, I don't think mushy is better. I have had my brake pads replaced and the system bled twice by the dealer and been connected to the BUDS program and no real improvement. The last time, his comment was that the brakes felt pretty good to him. His explanation was that the brakes pedal activates something in the computer (sorry I don't remember what) which then tells the brakes how much pressure to apply which then stops your Spyder. Now remember this is just my recollection of his understanding as to why my brakes are mushy. I didn't question him further as I could see that we weren't communicating and I didn't think he knew any more.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Mushy is never good in any hydraulic brake system; it's an indication of, at minimum, air in the line(s). I tried to find in my green manual the relationship of the VCM, Vehicle Control Module to the brakes but was not successful. The VCM interacts with all the other computer/sensor modules of the Spyder. I think what the tech was trying to convey to Paul was the relationship of the brake fluid pressure in the ABS to the speed of the vehicle and the three ABS wheel sensors (BRP calls the front ones Tone Wheels and the rear one a wheel sensor, go figure.) modulated by the ABS system in a panic stop.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Bleed Brakes

You need to also bleed the VCM, just as you do the calipers. More than likley reason for mushy brakes. Only other reason would be a sticky caliper, slides or piston.

Spyder Garage

Default WHAT

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    You need to also bleed the VCM, just as you do the calipers. More than likley reason for mushy brakes. Only other reason would be a sticky caliper, slides or piston.
    JERRY;
    WHAT IS THE 'VCM'....?
    WHERE IS THE 'VCM'....?
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default vehicle control module

Dan, VCM stands for Vehicle Control Module but I don't know where it is. As Billy Bovine said, you don't need BUDS to bleed the brakes but if you do it yourself there will still be a little bit of old fluid left in the system. If the dealer does it with BUDS, all of the old fluid will be flushed out.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Bleed Brakes

The VCN (Vehicle Control Module) is located to the left of the steering box. There is a full explination in the service manual in the maintenance and chassisi, vehicle stability section. When I rebuilt my 2013 rt, that was a crashed unit. I had to do a complete frame replacement. When bleeding the brakes at all four bleeders, it cleaned up fast and had full firm pedal. I did not need Buds hooked up to do this. Also made sure key was off and never depredded pedal completely.

Spyder Garage

Default THANX

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    The VCN (Vehicle Control Module) is located to the left of the steering box. There is a full explination in the service manual in the maintenance and chassisi, vehicle stability section. When I rebuilt my 2013 rt, that was a crashed unit. I had to do a complete frame replacement. When bleeding the brakes at all four bleeders, it cleaned up fast and had full firm pedal. I did not need Buds hooked up to do this. Also made sure key was off and never depredded pedal completely.

THANX Jerry.... u da man....
    Dan