Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Heated gloves vs grips

I hope I am not opening a can of worms with this question. I am wondering if you had a choice of either heated grips (BRPs or any other brand) or heated gloves (12v either Gerbring or otherwise), which would you choose and what might your pros and cons be of your selection?

I have been researching both and there seems to be as many opinions as to selections available.

No fighting, please.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Heated Grips!
    1. They're already there, and hooked up for you.
    2. No dangling power cords
    3. Nothing else needs to be purchased
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

but heated grips have to heat up through your gloves

Spyder Garage

BOTH!
    That way you can take the gloves with you to your truck and keep your hands warm there too!
    2011 RT limited , BajaRon plugs and custom wires Pearl white

Spyder Garage

My wife uses both, she has a pair of battery gloves and a pair of wired gloves that go with her heated jacket and pants and if it gets colder she also has a pair of snowmobile boots, we have rode all day and the temp never got above 32. She will ride as long as she can stay warm. All I use are the heated grips and a heated jacket liner.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Based on commuting almost daily on a motorcycle for the last 16 years, here are things to consider then make the choice that makes the most sense to you and your bank account.

1. Heated grips only warm the palms of your hands.
    2. Most heated gloves only warm the backs of your hands (where the wind is hitting).
    3. Higher-end and more expensive heated gloves warm all the way around.
    4. With heated grips you have no wiring to contend with; very convenient if a factory install
    5. Heated gloves warming the backs or all of your hands are by far the best way to keep your hands warm
    6. Using ski glove liners with metal woven into the fabric with either will enhance the warming effect as the metal conducts heat all around your hands no matter the source.
    7. Heated grips usually only have two settings; hi and lo
    8. Most heated glove controllers have an infinite number of settings from barely on to full power with use of a rheostat.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

On your ryde and your wind protection. I ryde an RS with a small windshield and have to say that neither my Butt or my palms get cold. The gloves are the way to go for me. I use the heated gloves and a headed jacket liner with a dual control. You will need more heat in the gloves than in the liner. The wife has a single control as she can tuck her hands in behind me.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If your ride doesn't already have heated grips then I think The heated clothing (gloves) will be the easiest solution for you and you will get the most bang for the buck/effort. If you already have heated grips what do you think? Are they enough for the riding you do or do you need more? My RT came with heated grips and I have heated gloves as well and it is really nice. I really like that set up. I bought my gloves from Warm and Safe as well as their controller. If you are an AMA member,Warm and Safe will give you and 18% discount. I also think BajaRon sells 1st Gear heated clothing which is made by Warm and Safe at a really good price and his service is great.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I prefer heated grips, because most heated gloves seem too puffy (like ski gloves) and I like the tactile feel of my "summer" gloves. But that isn't to say if it gets really cold, then heated gloves are the way to go. But both work way better if there's a way to keep wind off your hands.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

had heated grips on a BMW a while back.
    Nice to have warm hands but only your palms get warm. Wound up frequently
    holding the back of my hand against the grips to get them warm.
    Headed glove liners would be my choice. Those on the market today have heat in the fingers as well as the palm and back of the hand. They fit under many regular gloves and when things warm up, just take off the liners.
    There are battery and hard wired options.
    If you look, don't forget to check ski stores or snowmobile stores too.
    Motorcycle riders aren't the only people whose hands get cold.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Batteries or hard wire?

Related question: Battery or hard wire power?

Battery: portable, useable for other activities like hunting or winter outings, shorter life without recharges, no drain on electrical system.
    Hard wire: always powered, but cumbersome if you have multiple bikes to wire up, could tax electrical system.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

So far, have only used the heated grips on the 's. Don't like the wires of the heated gear--so do not own any of it. I find the grips work best with thinner gloves. When I put the "good stuff" on, not much effect.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 11rtLTD View Post
    BOTH!
    That way you can take the gloves with you to your truck and keep your hands warm there too!
    This!

It is the main reason I purchased battery powered gloves and jacket liner (Gerbing 7v). They can go on the move and solve issues in different situations.... I got the grips done to add a level of flexibility. I can wear thinner gloves more of the time when it is cold and my summer gloves much more of the time when I ride thru micro-climates and not have to stop and change them out to something heavier.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default HEATED GLOVE LINERS

My Spyder has heated grips but the back of my hands and fingers would still get cold because there was nothing to block the wind. I had some winter gloves but my hands still got cold. Last year I bought some heated glove liners from BajaRon and those did the trick. Now my hands are toasty no matter what the temp is. I have ridden in 20 degree weather and my hands stayed warm. The liners came with a separate thermostat operating on bluetooth that I can keep in my pocket.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Heated grips! I can't stand any fabric between my skin and my grips on my RT, especially on the left where the SE6 paddle and the control cluster are. So, I made a pair of "hand covers" out of Windbloc fleece (I buy it by the yard for various cold weather stuff). I sewed two layers together (just on top, not between the fingers) to double the effect, and it's working well. My heated grips on Low and my windshield keep the tops of my fingers warm enough that I can't complain. Here are a couple of pics:

6676.jpg6670.jpg

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I prefer heated grips, because most heated gloves seem too puffy (like ski gloves) and I like the tactile feel of my "summer" gloves. But that isn't to say if it gets really cold, then heated gloves are the way to go. But both work way better if there's a way to keep wind off your hands.
    I use heated glove liners because I wear out my winter gloves fast they smash out the insulation then I pull the inside liner out and cut the liner out then use the shell, wear them out and save the expense heated liner from the wear plus I can put the liner inside of various levels of shells
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Many thanks to all that replied. Your different opinions are interesting and are helpful to me at the same time.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

In an RT my answer would be heated grips for sure. They have a high and low setting and worked quite well even with foam grip covers. The F3T is another story, I have ridden on one with the heated grips (BRP add ons) and they didn’t work well at all. I have purchased heated gloves, and I’m hoping that they will keep my hands toasty.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you can use them mittens are the best. Less fabric surface area for your fingers to lose the heat through. Next would be the "three finger" mitten/glove where your index finger has its own glove finger and the other three are in a mitten like finger.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Heated glove liners are my first choice. Like others have said the back of my hands still get hold with heated grips, plus I find myself gripping the bars tighter to get the benefit of the heated grips and as we know that makes handling the Spyder more difficult and tiring.
    Bob S

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heated Socks

Heated gloves and heated socks the best way to go. Battery power for complete mobility. Happy COLD weather SPYDER riding. Little Blue
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

We do both. Reasons above. The passenger handles are heated, too (at least on ours). Gloves are nice on longer rides so I can take a hand off to relax.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Based on commuting almost daily on a motorcycle for the last 16 years, here are things to consider then make the choice that makes the most sense to you and your bank account.

1. Heated grips only warm the palms of your hands.
    2. Most heated gloves only warm the backs of your hands (where the wind is hitting).
    3. Higher-end and more expensive heated gloves warm all the way around.
    4. With heated grips you have no wiring to contend with; very convenient if a factory install
    5. Heated gloves warming the backs or all of your hands are by far the best way to keep your hands warm
    6. Using ski glove liners with metal woven into the fabric with either will enhance the warming effect as the metal conducts heat all around your hands no matter the source.
    7. Heated grips usually only have two settings; hi and lo
    8. Most heated glove controllers have an infinite number of settings from barely on to full power with use of a rheostat.
    I second the above. First, most things in life are rarely either/or. Also, heated grips will be of little help when the temps are in teens or single digits. I ride year 'round in Maryland, would never consider not having heated gloves in winter. The grips are just a bonus.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

We are very lucky out here in Oz where the minimum winter temps we ride in, early morning, are around 32F. This means that with the heated F3-L grips and a pair of gloves with “Outlast” technology, (such as Lee Parks PCI gloves) you can remain very comfortable at these temps and still have a good feel on the bars. They also work well up to around 75F, so they are well worth their premium price.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    Heated glove liners are my first choice. Like others have said the back of my hands still get hold with heated grips, plus I find myself gripping the bars tighter to get the benefit of the heated grips and as we know that makes handling the Spyder more difficult and tiring.
    gripping tight is counter-productive to keeping warm as tight muscles and tissues slow circulation by constricting blood vessels, therefore inhibiting the warming effects of the grips.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)