Thread: Front Tires

Spyder Garage

Default Front Tires

Hi All,

Been getting used to new RSS 2014, it's a learning curve and enjoying every bit in UK winters. Have been to Can Am dealer and upgraded to OEM upgraded sway bar and difference is quiet remarkable. Still learning handling on RSS.

I am very keen to change front tires to 185 55 15 from stock 165 65 15. I have seen a video on you tube where someone is using 185 on 14" rim and pretty pleased with it. Any idea if 185 front will have clearance issues? Appreciate advise/comments.

Having done some fact finding, I would like to use Yoko AD08R, which has excellent wet rating being a semi slick.

For rear: I am keeping same tire size with options Toyo T1R, Trofeo R or Kumho V70A. All semi slicks. ToyoT1R has best wet rating amongst the other two.

Tires will be fitted a authorised Can Am dealer.

Thanks again for your help.

Summer upgrades: Shock Factory rear, Baja Ron Heim joints.

Babr

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 185/55-15

Quote Originally Posted by birubhai View Post
    Hi All,

Been getting used to new RSS 2014, it's a learning curve and enjoying every bit in UK winters. Have been to Can Am dealer and upgraded to OEM upgraded sway bar and difference is quiet remarkable. Still learning handling on RSS.

I am very keen to change front tires to 185 55 15 from stock 165 65 15. I have seen a video on you tube where someone is using 185 on 14" rim and pretty pleased with it. Any idea if 185 front will have clearance issues? Appreciate advise/comments.

Having done some fact finding, I would like to use Yoko AD08R, which has excellent wet rating being a semi slick.

For rear: I am keeping same tire size with options Toyo T1R, Trofeo R or Kumho V70A. All semi slicks. ToyoT1R has best wet rating amongst the other two.

Babr
    ..... Yep, that's what I put on my 14 RT ( with basic fenders ) ...Toyo Proxes T 1 r's ....stuck like glue ..... I bent the brackets a little .... and put some washers under the four mounting bolts ( per fender ) ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi All,

Babr
    You have an authorised Can Am dealer who will fit non Kenda tyres on your Spyder? That’s great news, and very, very rare.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

For the rear Toyo Proxie T1R are definitely my favourite on a RS. Lots of grip, even in the wet it grips far better than the Kenda's. Doesn't last that much longer than the Kenda but who cares when it sticks to the road. Only issue I found when I first fitted one on the rear was that I started sliding the (stock Kenda) front tires rather than the rear on the hard cornering roads like Taraka Hill or the Karamea Highway. As your replacing these anyway that shouldn't be a problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... Yep, that's what I put on my 14 RT ( with basic fenders ) ...Toyo Proxes T 1 r's ....stuck like glue ..... I bent the brackets a little .... and put some washers under the four mounting bolts ( per fender ) ....... Mike
    Many thanks everyone. @Mike - so the front 185 65 15 will need some mods to fit. My dealer won't like it. I believe is the inner fender that rubs. With this size the circumference is marginally smaller but width goes from 6.5 to 7.3 ". Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Babr

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 185\55-15

Many thanks everyone. @Mike - so the front 185 65 15 will need some mods to fit. My dealer won't like it. I believe is the inner fender that rubs. With this size the circumference is marginally smaller but width goes from 6.5 to 7.3 ". Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Babr
    ( above ) ... you did mean ... 185/ 55 ...right !! ...... If you are not ...DIYing this ... Yep the dealer isn't going to be happy - if they will do it at all ..... I'm not sure what type fenders you have, on mine ( old style ) the outside LIP was extremely close to this size tire .... I'm sure 3/16 washers ( the thickness ) ( for the bolts ) ... between the brackets & hub should give you enough clearance ( without bending the bracket ) ... I later Radiused that Fender lip ( so I could get my tires on and off without loosening the brackets ) ..... so the issue was also resolved by doing this ....Another possibility is using washers between the wheel face & the hub, but that will definitely cause an issue with the LIP .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your inputs. Tire size - 185 55 15. I am assuming some fitting issues, so will use local tyre shop who also fits motorcycles. Also saves 140 miles round trip to dealer.

Tires Yokohoma AD08, track spec but good wet rating. V rated.

Anyone knows torque spec for nuts?

Seems rear tire is Dealer job.

Best

Babr
    Akrapovic, RSS 2014, Philips LED, Upgraded Sway bar, more coming.......

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your inputs. Tire size - 185 55 15. I am assuming some fitting issues, so will use local tyre shop who also fits motorcycles. Also saves 140 miles round trip to dealer.
    Best

Babr
    Even though your tire dealer also fits motorcycles, I don’t think you’ll find they will adjust your fenders for you as per Mike’s suggestions, Babr. Also, it is unlikely your Spyder dealer will fit a non Kenda rear tire unless you have a VERY open minded dealer. The only possible way would be to have your Spyder dealer remove your rear wheel and leave the Spyder on the hoist.....you then take the wheel to your tire dealer and have them install the non BRP rubber and take the wheel back to your Spyder dealer to have them reinstall and align......or am I missing something?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Best

Babr
    If you don't mind doing a bit of DIY it may be worth checking out Lamonsters video for removing the rear wheel on a RS:

https://youtu.be/u_QV0WaRNVM

Its far simpler than the 'official' way and means you don't have to retention the belt or anything. I've used this approach numerous times (I get through a couple of rear tyres a year:-))

I then take the wheel down to a local tire shop to fit a new one and balance it and then refit the wheel, just make sure you mark on the wheel the direction of travel as most Spyder suitable tires are directional. A couple of people here have mentioned that the rear wheel of a Spyder will not fit on some balancing machines but I've not had that issue. I do strip the wheel right down like Lamont does in this video so that may be why I've never had a problem

The only problem I had the first time was finding a large enough socket for the rear nuts (36mm from memory). By the way the torque setting for the rear nuts is in the video.

PS US dealers do seem to make a fuss of non-Kenda tires judging by comments on this forum but I've never had any issues in NZ, I suspect you'll probably find the same in the UK.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 12-12-2017 at 05:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    PS US dealers do seem to make a fuss of non-Kenda tires judging by comments on this forum but I've never had any issues in NZ, I suspect you'll probably find the same in the UK.
    My Aussie dealer won’t touch non-Kenda tyres either, Piston......you Kiwis are a pragmatic, common sense lot, which is why your guys say “a tyre’s a tyre” 👍.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.