Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    More visitors means capacity needs to be increased,
    That's pretty hard to do with real estate. You can only pass so many people per hour per acre for a given visit duration regardless of how much money you have. Instead of letting people gaze at a rock formation for 20 minutes you'll have to limit them to 5 minutes. That would create a rebellion if you ask me!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    That's pretty hard to do with real estate. You can only pass so many people per hour per acre for a given visit duration regardless of how much money you have. Instead of letting people gaze at a rock formation for 20 minutes you'll have to limit them to 5 minutes. That would create a rebellion if you ask me!
    Depends on the park. But you're right there is a practical limit to how many people can be accommodated before the experience becomes degraded and loses its value and purpose.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

National Parks belong to the U.S.A. and its citizens... personally I do not think any AMERICAN citizen should be denied access ... after all its our tax dollars that finance all national parks..

it appears to me... national park employees want to use OUR parks for their own pleasure while deny American citizen access...

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    National Parks belong to the U.S.A. and its citizens... personally I do not think any AMERICAN citizen should be denied access ... after all its our tax dollars that finance all national parks.. it appears to me... national park employees want to use OUR parks for their own pleasure while deny American citizen access... osm
    You kinda lost me on that last comment
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last time we camped overnight in a Nat'l park we had to walk a while before we could find folks that spoke English. IMHO, just like hunting licenses, residents first and nonresidents second, if there's enough tags left.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    National Parks belong to the U.S.A. and its citizens... personally I do not think any AMERICAN citizen should be denied access ... after all its our tax dollars that finance all national parks..
    Which is why raising the fees to an exorbitant level is unfair to the people. Only those with money can go. But, there has to be some sort of rationing system in place to keep the visitor load at a level that doesn't destroy the park or the experience of visiting.

it appears to me... national park employees want to use OUR parks for their own pleasure while deny American citizen access...
    That is an unjustified cynical view. A huge problem is that Congress does not hold the belief that all Americans are entitled to visit the parks and therefore that entitlement needs to be funded by the American population as a whole, i.e., fully, or near fully, tax supported.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Last time we camped overnight in a Nat'l park we had to walk a while before we could find folks that spoke English. IMHO, just like hunting licenses, residents first and nonresidents second, if there's enough tags left.
    Foreign visitors, especially Chinese currently, are a significant percentage of park visitors. A couple of years ago I stayed at a hotel in Idaho Falls, ID. The desk clerk said two and three busloads of Chinese tourists stayed there every day during the Yellow Stone Park season. In fact, there were signs in the dining room written in Chinese to accommodate them. But should we, or can we, try to keep them away? That goes right to the heart of the issue of open borders, which is currently a topic hotter than hell. But keep this in mind, those visitors are bringing back to this country loads of cash that we send them to buy their goods. It's either let them come and spend their money in our economy, or they will spend it to buy US Government bonds and US real estate. Do we want foreigners buying up our country, or just spending their money here? Not a pleasant choice to ponder.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have over-demand for a finite resource. One way to do it fairly is via a lottery system, like with elk tags in hunting. You pay your money and takes your chances. Unfair? Can't afford the price increase? Blame Ryan Zinke and the rest of the idiots that were voted in.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    You have over-demand for a finite resource. One way to do it fairly is via a lottery system, like with elk tags in hunting. You pay your money and takes your chances. Unfair? Can't afford the price increase? Blame Ryan Zinke and the rest of the idiots that were voted in.
    That's one of the things that National Monuments can do; take the pressure off the National Parks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Prices for national park passes and senior passes would go unchanged. But I hear what you're saying.

On our yearly drive around your western states we always purchase an annual NP pass. Costs us around $80US but pays for itself in our first week. We have found that probably Zion is the busiest. We used to drive in but have had to use the shuttle for the past few visits.

We loved Pipe Spring on the road that has Colorado City, but saw no one there as we passed though. It was soon after they had the Virgin river flood there.

By far, Utah is our favorite state. Red rocks rule!
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    On our yearly drive around your western states we always purchase an annual NP pass. Costs us around $80US but pays for itself in our first week. We have found that probably Zion is the busiest. We used to drive in but have had to use the shuttle for the past few visits. We loved Pipe Spring on the road that has Colorado City, but saw no one there as we passed though. It was soon after they had the Virgin river flood there. By far, Utah is our favorite state. Red rocks rule!
    And we Utahns enjoy all the appreciative visitors from around the world. I'm glad you stopped by Pipe Springs, one of our earliest National Monuments, and one of my favorites.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My suggestion is to go to our National Parks, Monuments, etc. now while they are still there. With the political climate in Washington these days, in 10 years you might see nothing but oil and gas rigs or mines.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    My suggestion is to go to our National Parks, Monuments, etc. now while they are still there. With the political climate in Washington these days, in 10 years you might see nothing but oil and gas rigs or mines.
    I think National Parks are safe from exploitation and from politics. But, the National Monuments obviously are not. That's why there's an effort underway now to change the status of what remains of Grand Staircase / Escalante to that of a National Park. A pity, really, since Parks and Monuments have a different focus and purpose. I'd hate to see wilderness developed as a park, but if that's what it takes to protect it, then so be it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I posted here previously about our annual western US adventure. To reiterate, Yellowstone was the low light of our trip. It was so crowded and road work kept us from even getting off the bikes. The usual sights were packed. We just drove through and didn't even see a chipmunk. Jackson Hole was like rush hour in the big city. Too bad. The popularity has overcome the ability to accommodate.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I posted here previously about our annual western US adventure. To reiterate, Yellowstone was the low light of our trip. It was so crowded and road work kept us from even getting off the bikes. The usual sights were packed. We just drove through and didn't even see a chipmunk. Jackson Hole was like rush hour in the big city. Too bad. The popularity has overcome the ability to accommodate.
    A shame. Both areas were something to behold.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Easter Nevada has some beautiful parks and they are just about devoid of people most of the year. Geysers--no. Caves, mountains, vistas, hiking trails, even glaciers.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Easter Nevada has some beautiful parks and they are just about devoid of people most of the year. Geysers--no. Caves, mountains, vistas, hiking trails, even glaciers.
    Around here, we consider that to be southern Idaho...
    2014 RTL Platinum