Spyder Garage

Cool Fuel Smell and poor mileage

Hi-

I am new to the forum and just bought a 2008 SM5 with very low mileage...I am getting <20 MPG and fuel smells after a ride...to me seems like the two are related or maybe it's common to all spyders. I use to have an ol' Goldwing with similar fuel smell after a ride.

Any idea where to start if this is an issue?

Thanks
    Jeff
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Common sense says you should first look for signs of a fuel leak (underneath, fuel lines etc.). Check gas cap to ensure it is sealing completely. Check air filter to ensure it is clean and full flowing. Check fuel lines for hardening and/or cracks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye342 View Post
    Hi-

I am new to the forum and just bought a 2008 SM5 with very low mileage...I am getting <20 MPG and fuel smells after a ride...to me seems like the two are related or maybe it's common to all spyders. I use to have an ol' Goldwing with similar fuel smell after a ride.

Any idea where to start if this is an issue?

Thanks
    Jeff
    The 08 SM5 was the first spyder made. There were fuel smell issues--but solved with a new fuel cap by BRP. 20 mpg is a bit on the low side. Most of those 990's got about 29 - 31 mpg.

Unless it has a lot of miles on it, it has probably sat around neglected. New gas and a tune up might be in order. I would suggest having a dealer look at it--if not done already.

Let us know what you find. PS. I had the first one sold in Alaska. Put 23,000 trouble free miles on it before trading up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

There was a recall on the fuel cap and overflow tube from the tank via the carbon canister. Get a dealer to check the VIN to determine if done. Fuel leak at filter clamps forwards of the tank was also an issue.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

There are a couple of common causes of a fuel smell on a GS/RS, the gas cap and evap canister.

However that combined with less than 20mpg doesn't sound right to me.
    I wonder is a sensor is upset because the evap canister has fuel in it and that's causing more fuel to be burnt.

Do you get the smell all the time or just after a ride?

To check for leaks and the condition of the pipes you'll need to pull the panels on the right-hand side (as you sit of the Spyder). You should be able to get away with just having to remove two, the one over the fan and the one directly above it that has Can-am written on it in big letters (well unless your Spyders been repainted:-)) You may also need to remove the one running to the back of the bike but hopefully just removing the bolt from the front of that panel will give you enough movement to check the tank and pipework.

The evap canister is mounted on this side is a prime candidate for fuel issues. Most of us remove it, (the nick name for this is a Canisterectomy:-))

Here's one the original threads on the subject:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...canisterectomy

And here is a thread where I posted some extra photos:
    www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?92204-Air-filter-box&highlight=Canisterectomy

The other common cause of a fuel smell is the gas cap, though this is unlikely to be the cause of your gas consumption .

In late 2012 Can-am did release a recall on their gas caps. However the replacements had a habit, after 18 months or so, of sticking and refusing to come undone - normally when you were at a gas station with an empty tank. Most of us have just replaced them with a Stant Gas cap, I've got a Stant 10819 but others have used 10835 & 11835.

Spyder Garage

Default Measuring

As I see you are in CA and getting the mpg's is a bit harder. Every station has a different nozzle and most fill like they do their cars so are shy a gallon or more. If you hold the vapor cover back so you can see the pipe end ..you put it in about an inch and slowly fill till gas bubbles around the vent holes. This is the fullest you fill or it will fill the evap canister. Now set your trip meter to 0 and Ryde till the red light comes on. Then fill her up use those gallons and the mileage on the trip meter to get your mpg. This will vary a lot depending on many things mine has been as low as 25 and as high as 40. I average 30 to 33...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Check BRP website

I agree with most postings, check BRP's website (Or stop at local dealer) enter your Vin # and check for recalls 1st.

On another note I have a 2012 RS-S SE5 I get around 20- 24 MPG. Which I was very shocked how low, about 100-125 miles I'm looking for a fuel station already.

At first I was upset, but then came to realize I did not buy an RT (Touring), Or an ST (Sport Touring) model I bought a RS-S which in my opinion is a sport model. If you look at motorcycles the sport bikes (Crotch Rockets) like my last 2 Suzuki GSXR 600's I owned get way worse MPG then Suzuki's other types of bikes just the nature of the vehicle.

So in a nut shell don't be to worried at this point in my opinion

Also don't forget that Ethanol found in most fuels lowers MPG by quite a bit.

I hope you enjoy the Spyder I LOVE mine!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post

Do you get the smell all the time or just after a ride?

Short rides, no smell...30 minutes or more, it is pretty strong.
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye342 View Post
    Short rides, no smell...30 minutes or more, it is pretty strong.
    That probably means no leak as such and sounds more like gas vapours caused when the gas tank warms up.

With the Spyder, particularly the v-twin models, some of the heat from the engines gets directed back past the fuel tank. Obviously as the tank heats up the gas generates more vapours and pressure.

If the gas cap doesn't fit tight then the gas vapours could be escaping there (which is why there was a recall). But also if there is gas in the evap canister then that would heat up and start smelling as well.

Even if the gas cap has had the recall one fitted those tend to fail after a while, at which point the previous owner may have just swapped back to the original one.

I'd suggest starting by checking the gas cap and if it's not a Stant one then just replace it. From memory they're about $10 so its not a costly replacement. If that fixes the problem then thats great.

If not then the evap canister is definitely the next thing to look at removing/replacing. Again if decide to remove it then the parts are cheap (and listed in the second thread). If you'd prefer to replace the evap canister rather than remove it then I'm not sure on the cost. Probably worth checking with Chupaca on what he thinks, i.e. if its fine to remove in CA or if replacement is a better bet. I know you have some tight rules on gas emissions in some states in the US.

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Smell/Check Engine Light

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    As I see you are in CA and getting the mpg's is a bit harder. Every station has a different nozzle and most fill like they do their cars so are shy a gallon or more. If you hold the vapor cover back so you can see the pipe end ..you put it in about an inch and slowly fill till gas bubbles around the vent holes. This is the fullest you fill or it will fill the evap canister. Now set your trip meter to 0 and Ryde till the red light comes on. Then fill her up use those gallons and the mileage on the trip meter to get your mpg. This will vary a lot depending on many things mine has been as low as 25 and as high as 40. I average 30 to 33...

So after riding for several weeks, I am getting a little over 25 MPG . I replaced the gas cap, but am still getting strong fuel smells, so I need to look at the evap canister.

Today the check engine light came on, it may have been due to low RPMs in 3rd gear, maybe? I pulled over and shut her down for a minute. Check engine light went off.

I tried the procedure to pull the code:

Turn Ignition key to "ON".

Use "MODE" button to display total hours.
    Start engine and run until check engine light (or other fault indication) is displayed.
    Press and hold "MODE" button while pushing the "High Beam Flash" button rapidly five times (within 2 seconds).

No luck with it. Will this only work if the check engine light is on???

2008 GS SM5 , Yellow