Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REMEMBER

Spyder Garage

Default REMEMBER

December 7, 1941. Seventy Six Years ago. Not too many of those who gave so much for our freedoms are left. Many thanks to the fallen, and to those still with us.

Home of the free.jpg
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, we should never forget those who gave their lives so we could be free. Dale
    Last edited by d.o.spyder-rts; 12-07-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hi oldguy,

Re: Not too many of those who gave so much for our freedoms are left.

My mother obviously was not in the military; but she was a welder in the shipyards.

She's still going at 95.

I was a little guy back then & my only memory is of living in project housing when my mom worked in the shipyards.

My dad served in the Navy in the Pacific.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default I for one...

Never forget and they did not only give it all for us but many other countries as well. 🇺🇸
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dec.7 ........

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Never forget and they did not only give it all for us but many other countries as well. 🇺🇸
    .......... and Thank you to all who still serve and have served ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I wasn't around for this (I'm 52), but I have some sense of what happened. I fear that the current (millennial) generation really has no sense of the value of the freedoms that the Greatest Generation gave so many of their lives for.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the tensions that currently exist in the world it makes you realize how precious and delicate peace is.
    As said prior, thanks to all that have served, sacrificed and are serving. God bless.

Spyder Garage

As it states in my avatar:

​NE OBLIVISCARIS

Spyder Garage

Amen

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    Amen
    Times Two...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you to all whom served during WWII

My Grandfather served with the US Army in Europe and my Great Uncle served with the US Marine Corps in the Pacific during WWII. Other that reading some of their service related paperwork and seeing a few pictures of them in uniform, little else is known about their service; neither spoke of it upon their return.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

God bless America....

Spyder Garage

I served in the Navy but not that far back. I recently completed an item on my bucket list, I made a trip to Pearl Harbor and it is an experience I will never forget.

Thank you to all that served and are now serving.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

i'm a volunteer driver for seniors and senior vets to their medical appointments.
    there are a few WWII and Korean vets that i get to talk to, very cool men.
    1 of the WWII vets was in the Monument Co, which the clooney movie was loosely base on.

committee for postings

Spyder Garage

My dad was a Ball Turret gunner on a B-17, "Riley's Racehorse" based in England in 1942 & '43. BT gunners were a favorite target for German pilots. I think the life expectancy for a BT gunner was something like 2.2 missions. Through the grace of God, dad did his 25 missions and came home none the worse for wear, physically anyway. He was a gracious and quiet man, not one to wax nostalgic, and really didn't talk much about the war, and when he did, it was usually along the lines of "I came home, there are so many who did not." He went to the 100th bomb group reunions every year until his last one in 1985. Sadly, he died in February of 1986, and there is not a day goes by that I don't think of him and his brave crewmates who put their lives on the line every mission, not knowing if they would make it back, or never be heard from again. I salute them all.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

to me, today is far more important then 911 and i wish it were recognized as such.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I wasn't around for this (I'm 52), but I have some sense of what happened. I fear that the current (millennial) generation really has no sense of the value of the freedoms that the Greatest Generation gave so many of their lives for.

I agree.

Public and private schools, along with a lot of colleges/universities, do not teach American History anymore. They teach sociology, instead. No wonder the younger generations have no sense of history.

I have said before:

There should be a Universal Draft, like during the Vietnam days, and all males and females should have to serve 2 years once they graduate High School or turn 19, whichever comes first. No deferments and all start as buck privates. Imagine what our national leadership class would look like if everyone had served in the military - and their children were at risk.

Rant over,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Sadly, that is why history is allowed to repeat itself. People forget.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    to me, today is far more important then 911 and i wish it were recognized as such.

Just a few facts:

Pearl Harbor

"In total, 2,403 Americans died and 1,178 were wounded. Eighteen ships were sunk or run aground, including five battleships. All of the Americans killed or wounded during the attack were non-combatants, given the fact there was no state of war when the attack occurred.acts:

9/11

"During the September 11 attacks of 2001, 2,996 people were killed (including 19 terrorists) and more than 6,000 others wounded.[1][2] These immediate deaths included 265 on the four planes (including the terrorists), 2,606 in the World Trade Center and in the surrounding area, and 125 at the Pentagon.[3][4] The attacks were the deadliest terrorist act in world history, and the most devastating foreign attack on American soil since the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941."

I might add that all "were non-combatants."

Both were tragic and PERHAPS could have been avoided with better national leadership. But, who am I to say - - -

No doubt Pearl Harbor was the greatest turning point in US history. It is a shame that 9/11 did not have the same emphasis. I won't elaborate about what Bush and Ob*ma have allowed since 9/11, as opposed to WWII -- not any muslim camps are there? Compare that to the Japanese camps during WWII. I am not advocating the WWII camps, but we have been much too PC since 9/11.

Rant over,
    Joe T.

PS

By the way, Bush should have done the righteous thing: NUKED EVERY LIVING THING IN AFGHANISTAN, and stayed out of Iraq.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting the remembrance. Going to be looking to see how much this is mentioned in the current media. I am thinking...it is fading away.

I was born a couple months after they dropped "the bomb." I have uncles who served though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    There should be a Universal Draft, like during the Vietnam days, and all males and females should have to serve 2 years once they graduate High School or turn 19, whichever comes first. No deferments and all start as buck privates. Imagine what our national leadership class would look like if everyone had served in the military - and their children were at risk.
    I'm not sure if it would make a difference to our "leaders". Nixon served. So did LBJ and look what lousy administrations they had. I can also tell you there were damn few politicians children who served and most of those were well behind the lines.

But reinstating the draft won't work. Vietnam taught our "leaders" they cannot wage war any longer with conscripted troops. It would take something like the Pearl Harbor attack for the nation to get behind a declaration of war. These political wars and police actions our "leaders" continue to wage are generally unsupported by the nation as a whole and there would be riots in the streets if our sons and daughters were drafted into mandatory military service.

My father and his two brothers all served in WWII - my dad almost losing his life in the Leyte invasion. I served in Vietnam and was already in the navy when it got hot or I would be posting today from Canada. One of my sons did several tours in the mid-east in the Marine Corps. For my dad, myself and my sons it wasn't worth it. I would fight again only if it were a matter of survival - and then the enemy would have to be in Kansas City and headed West.
    Last edited by RinconRyder; 12-07-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Congress defunding program for homeless vets

http://theweek.com/speedreads/741909...-homeless-vets

Gotta pay for those tax cuts somehow....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Originally Posted by Joe T.

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I'm not sure if it would make a difference to our "leaders". Nixon served. So did LBJ and look what lousy administrations they had. I can also tell you there were damn few politicians children who served and most of those were well behind the lines.
    The problem is, if they served at all, they served as officers, not grunts. And never in combat, to my knowledge.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Well this thread is in the toilet

committee for postings