Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Anywhere from 32 - 42 depending where we are riding. My hot rod days are long behind me and we usually take the back roads and seldom break over 60-65 mph. Most of the time we are both pulling trailers and still get 40 mpg if we're not in the mountains . When we first started riding I kept track of every drop of fuel but only check it now and again just for fun.
    Glacier Park Ride 009.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fuel mileage is more about the dance that your right wrist does with the "loud grip", than anything else...
    Playing means paying!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grandbug View Post
    This is Allen. I talked to you at Extreme Propulsion today. I have a 2015 RTS and i usually get about 40 miles per gallon. I usually start looking for gas around 200 miles and I reset the trip odometer at every fill up.
    Hey Allen nice to have met you yesterday thanks for your input, a little off topic ....had an interesting trip back to Covington the temp dropped down to 42 * F it started to rain and then the rain turned into ice had to close my visor and I never ride with my visor down even in the cold but the small pieces of ice were hitting me in my eyes so down came the visor.
    Living in Georgia this was a new experience for me but as a true motorcyclist I just kept on going.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1321067]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    In my opinion, it really has to do with the kind of riding you do. Cruise control on open highway, country state roads or rural country roads. I'll do some highway but mostly state and local roads. I just put my baby to bed for the winter and updated my trip log today. I totaled 6740 miles this year and had an average of 35.4 mpg. I also believe running primarily 93 octane improved my overall milage.

Good luck with tracing yours!

Lin[/QUOTE} .... I don't know about the 93 oct. thing ... I ride pretty much the same roads as you, and I ride Briskly ..... I only use 87 oct ...always have ( & probably always will ) I had a 38.6 mpg year ...... I like to ride in NH, however, the northern part is where I do most of it ...... Mike
    I have so far been a proponent of "use the highest octane that is available". Here--usually 90. No ethanol added here.

I am going to make a test next season. At least for a couple months. It will be 87 in all the bikes. I will let you folks know when the test begins, when it ends, and the results. It is not a cost thing--I can use high octane for about 20 cents per gallon more in most places. One brand is 40 cents per gallon higher. Out past the Anchorage environs--usually a bit more.

My Vulcan 900 likes 87 and I get a consistent 47 mpg with that one.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-08-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    Hey Allen nice to have met you yesterday thanks for your input, a little off topic ....had an interesting trip back to Covington the temp dropped down to 42 * F it started to rain and then the rain turned into ice had to close my visor and I never ride with my visor down even in the cold but the small pieces of ice were hitting me in my eyes so down came the visor.
    Living in Georgia this was a new experience for me but as a true motorcyclist I just kept on going.
    Your good to go until that temp gets to the freezing point on the roads. Spyders and ice do not mix well. You can go--but stopping is very interesting. And--watch out for the others.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 93 -91 - 87 Octane

[QUOTE=akspyderman;1321244]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

I have so far been a proponent of "use the highest octane that is available". Here--usually 90. No ethanol added here.

I am going to make a test next season. At least for a couple months. It will be 87 in all the bikes. I will let you folks know when the test begins, when it ends, and the results. It is not a cost thing--I can use high octane for about 20 cents per gallon more in most places. One brand is 40 cents per gallon higher. Out past the Anchorage environs--usually a bit more.

My Vulcan 900 likes 87 and I get a consistent 42 mpg with that one.

I have been using 87 oct. in the 1330 since I bought it ( except for some testing ) .... I realize one of the effects of this is slightly diminished performance ..... The amount of performance loss is so slight as to be " Not Noticeable " ..... However if I had a 200lb. passenger and was towing a 400lb. load thru the mountains I would use the 91 oct...... Mike

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1321274]
    Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I have been using 87 oct. in the 1330 since I bought it ( except for some testing ) .... I realize one of the effects of this is slightly diminished performance ..... The amount of performance loss is so slight as to be " Not Noticeable " ..... However if I had a 200lb. passenger and was towing a 400lb. load thru the mountains I would use the 91 oct...... Mike
    The "slightly diminished performance" is what has been holding me back so far. No passengers or towing for me--so I guess I will be good to go in the spring.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I suspect that many of those who have so far responded on mileage performance of the 1330 are riders of RT Spyders. Perhaps I can chime in on the part of the F3. Ours is a 2017 F3L, ridden two-up 95% of the time (total riding weight about 370 lbs.), and mostly on country back roads or secondary highways where we probably averaged between 50-65 mph (80-110 km/h). Varying weather, all sorts of terrain - flat, hilly, twisty, straight. At the start, we had a short, stock shield, but later switched to a much bigger, 23" F4, pushing more wind. So far, always using premium fuel - 91 octane, occasionally 93. In US gallons, I believe we have experienced trips of 37 mpg on up to 42 mpg. This much I do know - - twice I pushed it almost as close to dry as I could. Both times, I had reached 250 miles (400 km); my warning light had been on for about 35 miles (50+ km) and at the end all fuel indicator lights had gone out; there was still some fuel left. When I filled up, I calculated that I likely had about a half-gallon+ (2L+) still in the tank; perhaps enough to get me another 20 miles (30 km) further down the road. Certainly, mileage expectations can and do vary, depending on weather, terrain and other factors. So, I'm fairly comfortable gambling that I can get 250 miles (400 km) out of a tank if I have to; but most times I like to fill up with a bar or two still lit up on the tank indicator. There's no prize for walking.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 87 Octane

[QUOTE=akspyderman;1321279]

The "slightly diminished performance" is what has been holding me back so far. No passengers or towing for me--so I guess I will be good to go in the spring.
    . I probably should have said ....Very, Very, Very - slightly diminished performance .... according to my mechanic ( also my best friend )( who did an extensive amount of drag racing Motorcycles ) .. He described it this way ... In an Equal 1/4 mile drag race, with identical machines ( very hard to do ) .... He felt the 87 oct. Spyder would be one to one & one-half lengths behind the 91 oct Spyder ...Understand that this would be Full throttle under very heavy load conditions ......... I usually pass vehicles on a frequent basis .... I do downshift, ....but I normally use the " ECO " mode , for most of my operation ....I think my 1330 RT does fine in this respect ...jmho .. Mike .........PS, the difference in price , in my area , from 87 to 91 is between .50 & .60 per gallon ..... That buys a lot more 87 gas .....just sayin
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-07-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    I have a 2017 RT limited and get 40 miles per gallon , BUT , I am 81 years old and drive like it. That's OK cause I still like to ride . Meerkat
    I am 80 years old and probably should ride a little slower but the only way I can do that is use the cruse control.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=akspyderman;1321279]

Look at the graph in my thread about gas mileage. I used regular all season this year. My mileage was a touch better than last year when I used premium!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

New to the 1330 motor so I was wondering what actual MPG do owners of the 1330 get
    So, how high does the kid jump on a trampoline? Answer that question definitively and you will have your answer about mileage. To see why I say that see my thread with the poll about my two seasons of tracking MPG. The one poll option that no one picked is the one that described most closely what I actually did!
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?109153-Guess-when-I-used-Premium-vs-Regular

Oh, to more exactly answer your question my long term MPG to date is about 29 MPG, about halfway between my high of 40+ and a low of 20- MPG.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

My Vulcan 900 likes 87 and I get a consistent 42 mpg with that one.
    Maybe that is because that engine was built to use 87 octane and that is what Kawasaki recommends ???? Maybe.

You must ride your 900 pretty hard. I got closer to 50 with mine.......most of the time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Maybe that is because that engine was built to use 87 octane and that is what Kawasaki recommends ???? Maybe.

You must ride your 900 pretty hard. I got closer to 50 with mine.......most of the time.
    Maybe I don't ride it to hard, but I don't let any grass grow under my wheels either. So far, I am talking about the first 3,000 miles. Just getting it broken in during the three months I have had it.

TYPO found: should say 47 mpg.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-08-2017 at 04:52 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Post Agree

Quote Originally Posted by F650624 View Post
    Apparently I am having too much fun. I haven't gotten over 35 mpg.

I use to track the mileage on my 2015 RTS for the first 5k miles. I averaged 34 mpg. After that I gave up and just have fun riding it and put in fuel when it is needed.

Ride. Have fun till fuel light comes on. Fill with fuel and repeat.

Spyder Garage

Default 409 KM

Last summer , when going from Calgary thru Saskatoon, One tank took me 409 km in 4 hours and 10 minutes. I got better mileage after a few thousand miles on the engine.That was 2 lane roads and 10% above speed limit. Eco mode saves ~4% in cruise control or if you don't make any throttle changes. 2014 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Octane

I have 8,000 miles on a 2017 F-3 LTD, mostly riding two up. We generally get about 37 mpg, but the interesting thing is that the mileage is just the same using 87 octane as it is using 92. The bike runs just fine on regular, and the gas costs 50 to 75 cents a gallon less. Early on, I ran one tank of premium, couldn’t tell the difference, and have put in regular ever since.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Recently, on longer trips, towing a pet trailer, I've averaged 35 mpg in mostly highway driving at 65 mph. The low fuel light seems to consistently come on at about 190 miles and if I fill up right away, the amount of fuel I pump in is typically 5.5 gallons, leaving about 1.4 gals in the tank when the light comes on. At 35 mpg, I then figure I've safely got another 40-50 miles before running out of fuel.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default I am happy with 30 mpg

New to the 1330 motor so I was wondering what actual MPG do owners of the 1330 get I have a 2017 RT Limited and gassed up this morning full tank and did a 160 mile round trip on refilling I put in 5 Gallons ....so that would be 32 MPG The gauge was on the top of the reserve mark not quite into the reserve marking. My question is does the tank hold 6.9 gallons ???? as per the operators guide, and if it does would I have been able to squeeze in another 1.9 gallons. I was told that I could get 240 miles to a tank that would work out to be 34.78 MPG ...not a problem. So how many miles do I set my Garmin to start to warn me my gas is low on my 2012 I set it at 120 miles and managed quite often to go to 135 miles before filling up. Only managing 160 miles today would I have managed to get to 200 miles running into the reserve which I do not like doing but would like to know if its possible.
    So here is the question to all 1330 RT owners ...how many miles have YOU got on a tank what is the best you have achieved and at what miles do you set your warning of low gas on your Garmin.
    I get about 30 mpg and have a mix of highway and city. I just drive to what feels good and my guardian angel taps me on the shoulder and says quit that. I have a 2015 RTL with a taller and wider windshield. My problem is that even though I should get 240 miles on a tank my pee tank is about 180 miles!
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Spyder Garage

Default 1330 actual mpg

Have 2016 RT L. get between 25 and 40 mpg. usually try to fuel every 150 miles to be safe.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 1330 MPG

I Just Ryde the Spyder and DO NOT worry about the MPGs. Fuel it before it runs dry. Repeat.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default MPG

New to the 1330 motor so I was wondering what actual MPG do owners of the 1330 get I have a 2017 RT Limited and gassed up this morning full tank and did a 160 mile round trip on refilling I put in 5 Gallons ....so that would be 32 MPG The gauge was on the top of the reserve mark not quite into the reserve marking. My question is does the tank hold 6.9 gallons ???? as per the operators guide, and if it does would I have been able to squeeze in another 1.9 gallons. I was told that I could get 240 miles to a tank that would work out to be 34.78 MPG ...not a problem. So how many miles do I set my Garmin to start to warn me my gas is low on my 2012 I set it at 120 miles and managed quite often to go to 135 miles before filling up. Only managing 160 miles today would I have managed to get to 200 miles running into the reserve which I do not like doing but would like to know if its possible.
    So here is the question to all 1330 RT owners ...how many miles have YOU got on a tank what is the best you have achieved and at what miles do you set your warning of low gas on your Garmin.
    I have a 2014 RT and have consistently got 40MPG. I do not ride aggressive and stay the speed limits. I generally get 215 before I stop still not seeing the fuel warning......

Spyder Garage

Default mpg

around 32 mpg

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012RTL, ride double, always used 87 octane gas, travel average 60 mph. My closest city and spyder dealer is 150 miles. I never fill enroute
    and the reserve light has never come on and figure I am good for another 50 miles. I average 30 to 35 MPG on US gln. Plenty happy.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors