Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 1330 actual Miles per Gallon

New to the 1330 motor so I was wondering what actual MPG do owners of the 1330 get I have a 2017 RT Limited and gassed up this morning full tank and did a 160 mile round trip on refilling I put in 5 Gallons ....so that would be 32 MPG The gauge was on the top of the reserve mark not quite into the reserve marking. My question is does the tank hold 6.9 gallons ???? as per the operators guide, and if it does would I have been able to squeeze in another 1.9 gallons. I was told that I could get 240 miles to a tank that would work out to be 34.78 MPG ...not a problem. So how many miles do I set my Garmin to start to warn me my gas is low on my 2012 I set it at 120 miles and managed quite often to go to 135 miles before filling up. Only managing 160 miles today would I have managed to get to 200 miles running into the reserve which I do not like doing but would like to know if its possible.
    So here is the question to all 1330 RT owners ...how many miles have YOU got on a tank what is the best you have achieved and at what miles do you set your warning of low gas on your Garmin.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    New to the 1330 motor so I was wondering what actual MPG do owners of the 1330 get My question is does the tank hold 6.9 gallons ???? as per the operators guide, and if it does would I have been able to squeeze in another 1.9 gallons. I was told that I could get 240 miles to a tank that would work out to be 34.78 MPG ...not a problem. So here is the question to all 1330 RT owners ...how many miles have YOU got on a tank what is the best you have achieved and at what miles do you set your warning of low gas on your Garmin.
    This has been discussed exhaustively just last month. Consensus I think is; yes, it holds 6.9 gallons, 240 miles per tank before hitting reserve is realistic; depending on load, headwinds, road conditions, speed, 40mpg or more is achievable. You'll just have to experiment with it, keep good records and find out what works for you where you are and the way you drive.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

^^ Wot 'e says! But do remember that a new engine is also very likely to take a few thousand miles to settle in/bed in properly & start achieving its best mileage & range.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

In my opinion, it really has to do with the kind of riding you do. Cruise control on open highway, country state roads or rural country roads. I'll do some highway but mostly state and local roads. I just put my baby to bed for the winter and updated my trip log today. I totaled 6740 miles this year and had an average of 35.4 mpg. I also believe running primarily 93 octane improved my overall milage.

Good luck with tracing yours!

Lin
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check with Blueknight he let it run out of gas and had a spare gallon of gas to get him to the gas station

Maybe he can shed some light on this subject

Spyder Garage

Default I'm with Mike....

I let my vehicles run out of gas to know for sure. There are so many factors in determening the MPG's and here in CA we have these nozzels that will not let you get the same amount of fuel each time unless you go to the same station and the same pump but considering that the RT V-twins were good if they got 28 mpg's your are doing really well.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RT automatic. I have had it a little over 4 months and have put 7,000 miles on it. I never kept my total gallons of gas but I do check mine about every tank. I have got a low of about 32 MPG and a high of 40 MPG. I would say on highway at running 65 to 75 miles per hour I average around 37 MPG. Again wind and road condition change it.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Miles per galon

I have a 2017 RT limited and get 40 miles per gallon , BUT , I am 81 years old and drive like it. That's OK cause I still like to ride . Meerkat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

NEW machine has averaged 36.7 mpg over 44,350 miles in almost 2-1/2 years now.
    I use cruise control all I can (arthritic hands) at around 55-65 mph. But I also do a lot of very fast, gas-guzzling takeoffs, just for the halibut!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

There are a couple things one should keep in mind. You need to look over more than one tank at a time. You should also fill to the same level each time.

Even if you run it dry, you are never going to get that magic 6.9 gallons in the tank. My max ever was 5.4. Did not run it dry, but the gauge showed below empty on my particular machine. 2010 RTS.

I always set a trip meter to zero at fill time. That way I know how many miles on the tank--so far. I always fill to the same level. Slowly, I run the gas up to the fill ring. Stop, let it settle and re-fill to the fill ring. Done. This may not be getting the max gas in the tank, but it is going to be a "similar" fill each time. Miles/gallons used gives the magic number. PS. I don't get to technical. Gallons measured to 4 decimals and miles to 4 decimals are not necessary and will "imply" more accuracy than your getting. I measure gallons to the nearest .5 5.34 would be 5.3. 5.36 would be 5.4. Same for total miles.

Over the years, five spyders, 140,000 miles I am finding 998's get 29 - 31 mpg. My 2014 1330 gets 39 - 41. I can go 150 miles before the light goes on the 2011 and 200 miles before the light goes on the 1330. There has been slightly better performance and slightly less performance on both. That's where everything else kicks in. The numbers are close enough to be comfortable for me. On trips, if in doubt, I keep it topped off. I don't want to be one of those that run out of gas in the middle of nowhere.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING--YOUR MILEAGE RESULTS MAY BE DIFFERENT.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-06-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Over 38 months and 34,310 miles I have averaged 36.2 mpg. The highest individual tank mpg was 44.8; the lowest was 28.3, a tanks worth doing 85 for 126 miles on an interstate out west into a headwind. The most gas I have put in a single tank fill is 6.03 gal. I never bother with the Garmin low fuel warning; I just follow a better safe than sorry refueling routine.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

This is Allen. I talked to you at Extreme Propulsion today. I have a 2015 RTS and i usually get about 40 miles per gallon. I usually start looking for gas around 200 miles and I reset the trip odometer at every fill up.
    2015 RTS , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MPG's

[QUOTE=Lin;1321017]In my opinion, it really has to do with the kind of riding you do. Cruise control on open highway, country state roads or rural country roads. I'll do some highway but mostly state and local roads. I just put my baby to bed for the winter and updated my trip log today. I totaled 6740 miles this year and had an average of 35.4 mpg. I also believe running primarily 93 octane improved my overall milage.

Good luck with tracing yours!

Lin[/QUOTE} .... I don't know about the 93 oct. thing ... I ride pretty much the same roads as you, and I ride Briskly ..... I only use 87 oct ...always have ( & probably always will ) I had a 38.6 mpg year ...... I like to ride in NH, however, the northern part is where I do most of it ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default EMPTY TANK

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Check with Blueknight he let it run out of gas and had a spare gallon of gas to get him to the gas station

Maybe he can shed some light on this subject
    Wow good memory .... I sort of did it on purpose , I know that sounds weird , but I was headed to Rutland on Rt 100 going south. Because I do carry some Gas ( only 750ml tho ... in a tequila bottle .. because of it's shape ) and I was about 12 miles from Rutland, I pushed it.... I believe after I ran out ( & put in the 750ml ) and then filled the tank in Rutland !!! .... after doing and re-doing all the calculations with the gas & miles etc...... At the time it went dry I had used 6.7 gal., and got 263mi.,..... hope this helps ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

At 3785 ml per gallon, that 750 bottle gave you about .2 gallons of fuel, or about 7-8 miles of travel...not to mention a nice buzza from the original content

Does pulling in the dregs of the tank concern you? Guess if you have enough tequila to make it a recurring problem, then we outta talk this offline

Do Spyders have a reserve switch on them?
    2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    At 3785 ml per gallon, that 750 bottle gave you about .2 gallons of fuel, or about 7-8 miles of travel...not to mention a nice buzza from the original content ....... I think it's more like 12 miles worth

Does pulling in the dregs of the tank concern you? Guess if you have enough tequila to make it a recurring problem, then we outta talk this offline ....... "dregs " ?? ... I do have a filter, I don't do this on a regular basis, it's the shape of the bottle, not what's in it

Do Spyders have a reserve switch on them?
    ..... No, but I wish it did ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

18,025 miles on my 2014...
    I averaged 39.3 mpg overall.
    My farthest rip between fuel stops was 241 miles.
    But I always aimed for at least 200 between stops.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Fuelly

Just go to Fuelly and look up Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Default Like UtahPete says, It depends on how and where you ryde

From Pete "Consensus I think is; yes, it holds 6.9 gallons, 240 miles per tank before hitting reserve is realistic; depending on load, headwinds, road conditions, speed, 40mpg or more is achievable. You'll just have to experiment with it, keep good records and find out what works for you where you are and the way you drive."

44,000 miles on the wife's 15 RT-S and 33,000 miles on my base 15RT here in the West, but mostly on secondary routes at 65 MPH we get close to 40 mpg but almost never put more than 6 gals per fillup. That means we usually refill between 180-220 miles and have never run dry. Mileage is less into the wind, and we can get 250 miles per tank, but only with the wind, and keeping speed to 60 or below. When the fuel light comes on, we slow down and can travel 30 more miles to get to the next gas station. YMMV
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    This has been discussed exhaustively just last month. Consensus I think is; yes, it holds 6.9 gallons, 240 miles per tank before hitting reserve is realistic; depending on load, headwinds, road conditions, speed, 40mpg or more is achievable. You'll just have to experiment with it, keep good records and find out what works for you where you are and the way you drive.
    Keep in mind, this is machine has no reserve. It is not like my older bikes that had a switch to turn and then get a few more miles. When you are out, you are out.
    With that being said, my 2014 RT SM6 averaged about 38-40 mpg from day one. However, in the final 3 months of ownership, I was only getting about 35 mpg. Not explanation for the drop, but it just did. Bike ran great, but the MPG just were not there.
    My 2012 RSS got about 33-36 mpg, and I nearly always drove it agressively.
    My current bike (2016 F3T) seems to get around 35-37 mpg.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's not a problem at all: does your car (or truck) have a reserve?
    The new fuel gauges are accurate enough to be used right down to when the Low Fuel warning light comes on.
    BRP says that you should have a range of over 250 miles: I believe it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can tell you our 2012 RTL went a lot further after we disconnected the analog fuel and temperature gauges and used the digital ones. At least try running it until the fuel light comes on and see how far you went.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    had an average of 35.4 mpg.
    This is about what I'm getting.
    Fairly spirited throttle but never much over the posted limit.

I start looking for a station at 175 miles, figuring that gives me plenty of margin.

40 might be "achievable" but not easily, I think.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    I have a 2017 RT limited and get 40 miles per gallon , BUT , I am 81 years old and drive like it. That's OK cause I still like to ride . Meerkat
    I am not sure how I rode when I was 81, I don't remember.......

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Default Too Much Fun?

Apparently I am having too much fun. I haven't gotten over 35 mpg.
    2015 F3S , Orange