Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CB

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I have seen then for around $90 to $100 give or take a few bucks, then you can get the SENA SR10 from me with the cable that plugs into it to make it BLUETOOTH, everything needed will run you UNDER $300 for a CB that will out preform most and if you want to use it on another bike you can transfer to the other bike in no time.
    The CBs I've seen at that price, Dave, are all designed to be used indoors (like in the cab of a truck). I'm still looking for one designed for outdoor use on a bike (like the BRP one only cheaper). No luck yet but I'm still googling. If anyone knows of such a beast, please post details here. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Do you recommend a whip antenna? If so, which one and where do you mount it?

This one from Wilson ($36) seems to have good reviews https://www.amazon.com/WILSON-305-38...4GNWT2W7PKATQG
    The base 12V adapater for the midland has a coax antenna plug on it for using an external antenna. This allows you to connect other antenna's. A couple people put a fire stick antenna in the back where the BRP CB antenna mounts (left side speaker housing).

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you recommend a whip antenna?

This one from Wilson ($36) seems to have good reviews
    A "whip" as opposed to what ????

Where does it say that the Wilson is for CB use; I don't see that in the link you provided.

AND that is not a good choice because you probably can't find enough metal to magnetically mount it.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The CBs I've seen at that price, Dave, are all designed to be used indoors (like in the cab of a truck). I'm still looking for one designed for outdoor use on a bike (like the BRP one only cheaper). No luck yet but I'm still googling. If anyone knows of such a beast, please post details here. Thanks.
    Do you plan to ride in the rain a lot with a group? If not don't bother w/ weather proof. Be aware you will need to power the handheld with batteries. My nephew's experience was connecting to Spyder 12 volt outtet caused static. He kept the hh CB in the trunk.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Do you plan to ride in the rain a lot with a group? If not don't bother w/ weather proof. Be aware you will need to power the handheld with batteries. My nephew's experience was connecting to Spyder 12 volt outtet caused static. He kept the hh CB in the trunk.
    That's certainly the simplest way to do it, which is probably the route I'll go. I just can't imagine how it would work to use the BT connection to the helmet, since the CB needs an adapter cord to connect it to the Sena BT unit. Seems like I'd end up with cords getting in the way anyhow.

Now I'm understanding why the BRP unit might be so expensive; completely wireless plug 'n play with the controls at the handlebars. Not in my budget though.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That's certainly the simplest way to do it, which is probably the route I'll go. I just can't imagine how it would work to use the BT connection to the helmet, since the CB needs an adapter cord to connect it to the Sena BT unit. Seems like I'd end up with cords getting in the way anyhow.

Now I'm understanding why the BRP unit might be so expensive; completely wireless plug 'n play with the controls at the handlebars. Not in my budget though.
    My nephew had the Sena SR10 in the trunk also so there was only one thin cable from the trunk to the handlebar for the PTT switch which was easily tucked away. For a permanent install you could pretty much hide it completely under the plastic.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My nephew had the Sena SR10 in the trunk also so there was only one thin cable from the trunk to the handlebar for the PTT switch which was easily tucked away. For a permanent install you could pretty much hide it completely under the plastic.
    Okay that makes more sense. I didn't realize the cable for the PTT button was that long. My trunk is quickly filling up with electronics. Just installed a Sirius XM receiver and still trying to figure out how to BT the sound to the bike audio to play through the speakers.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Okay that makes more sense. I didn't realize the cable for the PTT button was that long.
    The kit comes with an extension cable.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The kit comes with an extension cable.
    Thanks. I responded to your PM on the topic last night.
    2014 RTL Platinum