Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB

Spyder Garage

Default CB

Hubby wants a CB for his 2014 art Limited....

is is the best option the BRP set-up or is there something better that I should look at getting?

Thanks for for any advice!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up It all depends

Quote Originally Posted by shoes8 View Post

is is the best option the BRP set-up or is there something better that I should look at getting?

The BRP CB is really the only way to go. It plugs directly into the entertainment harness that is already on the RT. Your husband will need a wired headset to install in his helmet. The good news is that he can talk on the CB by simply pushing one button. The bad news is that the CB isn't much. But, he will really enjoy having the radio music in between CB communications. Also, if you ride behind him, you can get a wired headset that gives you music, CB, and the most delightful voice operated communication you have ever experienced. It is worth it just for the communication with your husband.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    The BRP CB is really the only way to go.
    Can't agree with that blanket statement.
    It depends on EXACTLY what a person wants the final product to DO.......and how much you are willing to spend.

I have the integrated CB and it fits my needs good.
    BUT it was outrageously expensive; a bit over $1K for the kit, installation and headset(s).
    And a lot of folks report here that theirs never has worked right since day one.
    Mine works OK but the receiver is noisy. As Ben said, if you want any kind of "good" CB operation, you probably won't be happy with the BRP product.

J&M is a good alternative. It is slightly less expensive and should have better overall performance but it will NOT integrate with the built-in system.
    But you can play music through it from another source. The bluetooth model might integrate well with a phone for music and GPS functions; I don't know about that.

We even have one rider in our group who has a "hand held" strapped to the bars. Total cost: Less than $200 IIRC.
    I haven't asked him about range with that but it seems to work good for group rides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    We even have one rider in our group who has a "hand held" strapped to the bars. Total cost: Less than $200 IIRC.
    I haven't asked him about range with that but it seems to work good for group rides.
    I've been back and forth with this CB issue myself. We have Sena 20s, which has a good range (over 1/4 mile) but sometimes that's just not enough. We have our phones, but we sometimes ride in areas with no cell signal. Paying $1k (per bike) for something we need only occasionally and is complicated to install and integrate with everything else makes no sense to me.

Going with a couple of good weather-resistant handheld CB units makes sense to me. Thanks for the tip.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Going with a couple of good weather-resistant handheld CB units makes sense to me. Thanks for the tip.
    I think that there are only two brands that make full-power handhelds....and I'm pretty sure that neither is really "weather resistant".
    Should be able to do the mount so that they are easy to remove though.
    And you will need a mic/headphone set for both but earbud types that are compatible only run about $20.....or less.

Good luck.

P.S. Regardless of the make of bike or radio, when on a motorcycle the effective range seems to be a mile or slightly less. I can transmit a bit farther than that but can't receive due to the noise. Others seem to get about a mile and a half under good conditions.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 12-06-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that there are only two brands that make full-power handhelds....and I'm pretty sure that neither is really "weather resistant".
    Should be able to do the mount so that they are easy to remove though. And you will need a mic/headphone set for both but earbud types that are compatible only run about $20.....or less.
    What do you mean by 'full power'? Which brands? Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For you that may be having signal strength problems with your CB - it might be worth removing the CB antenna and cleaning the connection. There have been many reports of excessive loc-tite which may be attenuating the signal.

Spyder Garage

I have to agree with Ben but they are pricy. Myself and a riding friend had them installed back in 2012 on our new then RT Ls. They have always worked good for communication with passenger plus radio etc. They do not have CB long range, maybe 1/2 mile but have never been a problem in the 6 years of use.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    There have been many reports of excessive loc-tite which may be attenuating the signal.
    I checked mine. Shiny clean.
    I haven't had the plastic off yet to check the grounds.

The main problem is lack of metal body work to make a good ground plane.
    Boats have a similar problem.......but the water somewhat makes up for that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a pair of Motorola PTT handsets. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072LAAA0..._t2_B004PGM9PO

At that page, someone posted this explanation, which makes sense to me;

First of all, on the MT350R radio, channels 1-7 are allocated to shared FRS/GMRS use. Channels 8-14 are exclusively for FRS and 15-22 are exclusively for GMRS use. GMRS requires a license. This means, technically, channels 15-22 require a GMRS license to use legally. Channels 8-14 can be used by anyone.

There is also confusion over the "power boost" feature. As near as I can tell the low power PTT is 0.5 watts and the high power is 2 watts. I couldn't find any direct documentation about this from motorola, but the numbers sound right. The point is, it is illegal to transmit on FRS above 0.5 watts. If you transmit using the "power boost" PTT on the shared FRS/GMRS or the GMRS channels you need a license.

Summary: it is illegal for a non-licensed user to transmit on channels 15-22 under any circumstances (barring dire emergency). It is also illegal to use the "power boost" function without a license. Frankly these rules are a bit silly to say the least. And the FCC seems not to be too interested in enforcing them. With any luck the FCC will revise the rules at some point to better reflect the reality of the situation. In the mean time, if you want to break the law, fine. But at least you should *know* that you're doing so.

As a practical matter, the best thing you can do to increase your range is not to mindlessly press the "power boost" button, but instead find a high place, like the top of the hill, and preferably some place with not too much in the way of obstructions. Your mileage will vary.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default J&M system

Can't agree with that blanket statement.
    It depends on EXACTLY what a person wants the final product to DO.......and how much you are willing to spend.

I have the integrated CB and it fits my needs good.
    BUT it was outrageously expensive; a bit over $1K for the kit, installation and headset(s).
    And a lot of folks report here that theirs never has worked right since day one.
    Mine works OK but the receiver is noisy. As Ben said, if you want any kind of "good" CB operation, you probably won't be happy with the BRP product.

J&M is a good alternative. It is slightly less expensive and should have better overall performance but it will NOT integrate with the built-in system.
    But you can play music through it from another source. The bluetooth model might integrate well with a phone for music and GPS functions; I don't know about that.

I didn't know the J&M system would not work together....just ordered one? Why won't the 2 systems with Bluetooth work together?....hope they will take it back.....

Spyder Garage

The handheld can be made to work BT with a Sena SR10 attached to your handheld.Just tell motorcycledave what unit you have so he can send you the right one. I have had a CB on all my Venturers since 1986 and on the Goldwing Trike and I really like them for group rides. While expensive the BRP unit is nice because of seamless integration. It'd too bad it doesn't work better and I don't think the problem is the lack of ground plane. The Ventures and the Goldwing all worked really well, getting out there 3 or 4 miles and with clear reception and broadcast.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default CB radios

Hi Guys

Just wondering what type of CB radios are you talking about.

Here in Aus, we have the old style 27mHz and our current UHF (476/477 mHz). Most vehicle mounted units are 5w tx. Handhelds are from 0.5w/1.0w up to 5w.

Even our handhelds are good for a couple of kilometers on low power.

Still thinking about how to use one on our Tasmania trip next year.

Cheers

Frank

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Frank - Yeah, you're right to point that out. Here we also have CB (Citizen's Band on 27 mHz) and FRS (Family Radio Service on 462/467 mHz) which also are two entirely different systems and frequencies. One can't talk to the other. The original poster's question was specifically about CB, which is the system commonly used on the road between motorists. There's also a GMRS thing I'm not going into. The link that was posted regarding FRS radios - while possibly helpful to some - was off the original topic and may be cause for confusion.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Here's a pair of Motorola PTT handsets. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072LAAA0..._t2_B004PGM9PO...
    My son and a number of his riding buddies use those Motorola units with SR10s and like them. Seems to me though whenever I ride with them they're always fiddling with things to get their comms working satisfactorily.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donrokon View Post
    I didn't know the J&M system would not work together....just ordered one? Why won't the 2 systems with Bluetooth work together?....hope they will take it back.....
    My comments were about hard-wire connectivity.

I don't know about bluetooth connectivity because I have no experience with that......either Spyder or J&M.......but suspect they won't talk to each other because both want to be the "host" and neither wants to be the "remote".

Maybe someone else has experience trying to make that work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    The Ventures and the Goldwing all worked really well, getting out there 3 or 4 miles and with clear reception and broadcast.
    Not in my riding group they don't.
    Maybe the wide open expanses of Utah help a bit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Full legal power as opposed to 100 MW "toys".

Do a web search for something like "handheld CB".
    I have personal experience with Midland and Cobra.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's a pair of Motorola PTT handsets. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072LAAA0..._t2_B004PGM9PO
    Just be clear, those are not CBs.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shoes8 View Post

A viable alternative to the BRP CB if you are interested in going with BT is a handheld CB connected to the Sena SR10 adapter. When I went to Homecoming with my nephew his early generation Scala BT helmet paired with no problem to a fairly new Sena SR10 CB adapter. Worked good, maybe not super great but good, for communicating with me and my BRP CB. See this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...n-am-Bluetooth

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

This option works well and since you already have BT helmets I would go this way.

Midland Handheld CB 75-822
    Sena SR-10
    Midland CB cable# SC-A0115 blocks the knobs on the top of the CB Instead use the Sena cable for the iCOM CB cable SC-A0113 which will come out the other way and not block the knobs.

See this post.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...81#post1048581

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Midland Handheld CB 75-822 https://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-82...+40+channel+cb

Sena SR-10 https://www.sena.com/product/sr10/

Midland CB cable# SC-A0115 blocks the knobs on the top of the CB Instead use the Sena cable for the iCOM CB cable SC-A0113 which will come out the other way and not block the knobs. https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SC-A0113.../dp/B0068EPZR0
    Seems the most expensive component of this setup is the $179 (list) Sena SR-10. Maybe Motorcycle Dave has it cheaper.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Check Ebay for the Midland CB. I got mine brand new for about $60.
    Yes ask Dave about the SR-10. I did get mine from him but I forget the price.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 12-08-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Check Ebay for the Midland CB. I got mine brand new for about $60. Yes ask Dave about the SR-10. I did get mine from him but I forget the price. Bob
    Do you recommend a whip antenna? If so, which one and where do you mount it?

This one from Wilson ($36) seems to have good reviews https://www.amazon.com/WILSON-305-38...4GNWT2W7PKATQG
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-08-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ATTNTION C.B. LOVERS

THE BRP CB RADIO IS BIG $$$$$
    the best and least expensive way to go is
    Shop EBay or go to your local LARGE truck stop like LOVES
    or FLYING J, every trucker in the land uses a CB and they buy them there
    I have seen then for around $90 to $100 give or take a few bucks,
    then you can get the SENA SR10 from me with the cable that plugs into it
    to make it BLUETOOTH, everything needed will run you UNDER $300 for a
    CB that will out preform most and if you want to use it on another bike you
    can transfer to the other bike in no time.
    You can find right here on SPYDER LOVERS vendors who have the mounts
    for them to fit your Spyder....
    Braker Braker 1-9
    Ride Safe
    Dave