Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Considering Purchase

Hi all! Its my first time here.. I am considering purchasing a Can Am Spyder. I am hoping you guys could help me understand a few things about the Spyder. I have never rode a street bike before although I do have a quad and used to ride mini-bikes when I was a kid.

For those who have ridden both 2 wheels and Spyders, my first question is .. Do you think the Spyder is significantly safer? I know there is no real protection around you like when you are in a car, but the 3 wheels seems (in theory) to be more stable which is making me think it may be safer.

Also, there seems to be so many different variations of the Spyder. Which year and model do you think would be a good choice for a first timer? I know how to use a clutch but the semi automatic feature seems very cool and very easy.

I live in New York and I am signing up for a 2 day course to get my motorcycle licence on a 2 wheel bike. Im thinking that would be the way to go so I could ride anything rather than use the Spyder for the road test (which in NY means I would only be able to drive a 3 wheel bike).

One other really dumb question (please bear with me)... do all these Spyders have radios? and if not (or so), is it worth it to have one? Can you hear it when you are riding?

I am sure I will have more questions but thats enough for now. Thank you!

Rich

Spyder Garage

Hi Rich,

Re: Do you think the Spyder is significantly safer?

Yes.

Re: Which year and model do you think would be a good choice for a first timer? I know how to use a clutch but the semi automatic feature seems very cool and very easy.

Check the classifieds on here. I am biased but I really like my '08 with the SE-5 shift system.

Re: do all these Spyders have radios? and if not (or so), is it worth it to have one? Can you hear it when you are riding?

No.

Not worth it IMO.

I do not know nor care if one can hear it while riding.

All of the above are my opinions. Others may agree or disagree,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes the Spyder is definitely safer than any 2 wheeler. Very stable. As to which one to get that depends on too many variables including your budget and intended use and riding style. You need to do a test ride on different models at a dealer.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    You need to do a test ride on different models at a dealer.
    Good idea, I didnt even think of that LOL. I was looking at a few used ones in the 2012 and 2013 year range. My budget is around $10k. Is there a significant difference between a 2018 and 2012 or 13 model year?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is defiantly safer , you need to test ride different models, I'm partial to the RT limited's and have had both 998's and 1340's I like the bigger motor, and I like my Ipod docking as I like my music while I'm riding cross country. I've ridden two wheels for over 50 years but age has made me realize that if I want to continue riding safe I needed to switch to 3 wheels and have never regretted the decision.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RichGags View Post
    For those who have ridden both 2 wheels and Spyders, my first question is .. Do you think the Spyder is significantly safer?
    Significantly? No. Although the main difference in 3 vs 2 wheels is that you cannot "drop" a 3-wheeler as you would a 2-wheeler, most of the "danger" of riding a motorcycle of any design is other vehicles on the road and the road itself. You would be moderately safer on the Spyder on unsafe roads (gravel, slippery surfaces, etc.) but the Spyder is no safer if in contact with another vehicle at speed and in some circumstances may be a bit more dangerous as it cannot turn as quickly to avoid danger. It does tend to stop faster though.

Also, there seems to be so many different variations of the Spyder. Which year and model do you think would be a good choice for a first timer? I know how to use a clutch but the semi automatic feature seems very cool and very easy.
    First, think about how you will be using the motorcycle. Short or long commutes? Sunday afternoon toot through rural roads? Comfy rides with the wife or girlfriend? Long trips where storage is necessary? That should determine which model is best for your use. Year depends upon your budget and Spyder features.

I live in New York and I am signing up for a 2 day course to get my motorcycle licence on a 2 wheel bike. Im thinking that would be the way to go so I could ride anything rather than use the Spyder for the road test (which in NY means I would only be able to drive a 3 wheel bike).
    A Spyder is very different to ride than a 2-wheeler.

One other really dumb question (please bear with me)... do all these Spyders have radios? and if not (or so), is it worth it to have one? Can you hear it when you are riding?
    No, not all models have radios and whether you consider this essential for your use depends upon you. I would say that the use of speakers on a Spyder is useless. Not just because of the noise of the Spyder but that of traffic around you. Also, I have found from a lifetime of riding bikes that it is essential for your safety to be able to hear what is happening around you.

This is coming from a guy who began riding bikes on the street at age 13 (60 years ago) and has had dozens of on and off-road bikes and trikes.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome....

Glad you jumped in with some questions you are getting answered.
    Safer for sure, bigger footprint and many safety features...ABS braking, VSS stability control, DPS power steering etc
    What to get....choices choices...most will tell you to stick with the newer Triple introduced in 2014 but it will limit you to the RT and the F3. Test ryding is really the only way for you to know.
    Radios...jmho if you talk about open air with speakers are a waste (if you have to add them) A head set sound and intercom system is the best way to go....
    Hope all goes will with your test and you will be licensed soon and on the road soon after....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good idea, I didnt even think of that LOL. I was looking at a few used ones in the 2012 and 2013 year range. My budget is around $10k. Is there a significant difference between a 2018 and 2012 or 13 model year? Thanks.
    The biggest difference is that the earlier years only come with the 2 cylinder engine. But a lot of people prefer it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    most will tell you to stick with the newer Triple introduced in 2014 but it will limit you to the RT and the F3.
    Wow thanks for all the input so far guys and making me feel welcome!

What is the "Triple"?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow thanks for all the input so far guys and making me feel welcome! What is the "Triple"?
    That's the 3 cylinder engine found in 2014 and later models. You'll see the 2-cylinder referred to as the '998' and the triple as the '1330' in places.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-05-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Find a local spyder club and get some first hand exposure to the different options without the pressure of a dealer.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Rich, Welcome to SpyderLovers and hopefully the beginning of a long and pleasant Spyder Experience.
    I'll answer your questions based on my 40+ years of mini bikes, motocross, street racers, street cruisers, and finally Spyder riding life. I drive a '13 RT style with Semi-Auto tranny.

1. Do you think the Spyder is significantly safer? Than 2 wheel motorcycles, yes, we cannot lay it down in a wet/slippery cornering situation, dropped a 750 street cruiser once just going around a lightly sandy corner one spring, wasn't fun, Can't do that on any Spyder.

2. Which version of Spyder? I think the one that's most comfortable for your riding style/budget. Though many folks suggested that I get one more aligned to my initial budget to determine if I was really gonna ride it more. My situation was I've ridden most everything else, was getting older (now in 60's) and my wife didn't enjoy going out on rides for me, so our Spyder purchase was a much for her comfort as for me. She Who Must Be Obeyed went on all but one test drive, before we picked the '13 RT. It was $4k cheaper than any of the '14's or later in my area, and that $4K went to many safety upgrades I knew I'd want. We've rode more together, and I've rode more in the last year than in the previous 10 years combined, My wife has rode passenger more in the last year than in all 28 years of our marriage. And she loves riding with me now.

3. I live in New York and I am signing up for a 2 day course to get my motorcycle licence on a 2 wheel bike. Im thinking that would be the way to go so I could ride anything rather than use the Spyder for the road test (which in NY means I would only be able to drive a 3 wheel bike). Good plan no matter what you think you're gonna purchase.

4. Do all these Spyders have radios? and if not (or so), is it worth it to have one? Can you hear it when you are riding? No, many do, My '13RT does, it's a personal preference. 95+% of my past bikes had no radio and I enjoyed them all, now I do have a Sena BT system in my helmet, Can listen to my own music library, but occasionally, I do enjoy cranking the RT's speakers at times.

Best Advice I ever got was Test Ride, Test Ride, Test Ride, in your case, at least find what's available locally to sit on, and see how they feel. Some guys have multiple different models to enjoy each of the different seating positions/angles. My budget couldn't afford that, but...
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Attached is a good information thread all about Spyders.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Most of your questions have been answered.

Some additional information.

They come in three basic models.

The original GS or RS depending on year. The Roadster/Sport version. Began in 2008

The RT--The touring version. Began in 2010.

Both of the above came with 2 cylinder (990 and 998) engines.

2014 brought the introduction of the 1330 engine. Available both in the RT and the new F3. The F3 is likened to a cruiser.

From each model there were usually iterations. Basic, Mid level, and Limited. Sort of like Chevy Biscayne, Bel Air, Impala. Cost higher as the add on increased.

Currently the only models in production are the RT and the F3. The 998 two cylinder has been discontinued and everything current is built with the 1330 three cylinder engine.

Your budget of $10K will most likely have you looking for used 998's in the 2012 and less years. There are a lot of them around, and they are good machines.

Which one for you? As earlier posts said, test drive to find the one that suits you best. The is not like a two wheel motorcycle. It has driving characteristics that are different. See Do's & Don'ts above.

Have fun with your hunt. Let us know what you decide on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lots of good answers to your questions so far. The biggest issue for you will be choosing a style for the budget of around $10k. For me, if I had 10k to spend on one spyder, and was interested in a radio, I would either choose a used ST Limited (2013 or 2014 can be had around that price), or a 2015 F3 (but a radio would have to be added). Another thing to look at is do you plan on keeping this bike for a longer period of time, or short time? Trade in or sell of a 1330 with the SE transmission would be easier.
    Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Lots of good answers to your questions so far. The biggest issue for you will be choosing a style for the budget of around $10k. For me, if I had 10k to spend on one spyder, and was interested in a radio, I would either choose a used ST Limited (2013 or 2014 can be had around that price), or a 2015 F3 (but a radio would have to be added). Another thing to look at is do you plan on keeping this bike for a longer period of time, or short time? Trade in or sell of a 1330 with the SE transmission would be easier.
    Good luck shopping.
    To have or not have a radio is a minor consideration, IMO. I bought a leftover 2016 F3-T earlier this year that is one of few (in that model) that does NOT have a radio. I certainly don't miss it.

FWIW, I rode (once) listening to my own tunes via iPod and earbuds to see what, if anything, I was missing out on. Frankly, I didn't feel that it added anything to my experience of riding the Spyder. Of course, your mileage may vary....
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Default Considering a purchase? My thoughts....

Good afternoon!

Let me qualify my thoughts so you can get a full perspective of how my thoughts are formed. I am a LONG time rider of 2 wheelers; started in the dirt and moved toward Harleys as it became more difficult to find places to enjoy dirt bikes close to the Kansas City area. Four years ago, the tragic passing of my brother left me in custody of a 1975 Harley - at that time known as 'fast and loud'. Lots of work and money later, I now have a relatively docile ole Harley that is quite a looker but still seems to hold on to some of it's core irritations - stuff falls off and it's not new enough to be particularly comfortable. My wife NEVER got on it with me and that dictated that a riding would be a solitary venture with my HOG friends. We worked with my wife (step son & I) with a scooter and she never mastered the balance aspect. I took a wild swing at it and we purchased a '13 RT-SE for her. She never looked back and in the last 3 months has become a very accomplished rider. I liked it so well that I found a '14 RT/something for me. SO, we have had lots of 'newbie' type experience in a few short months.

My opinion:

Re: Do you think the Spyder is significantly safer?

Unquestionably. Opinion formed as a result of better braking and higher level of stability.

Re: Which year and model do you think would be a good choice for a first timer? I know how to use a clutch but the semi automatic feature seems very cool and very easy.

Obviously we think a that there is a 'sweet spot' in the evolution of the Spyder that falls in the '13 (if you want a 990 V-Twin) and a '14 (has a 1330 inline 3). My personal feeling (obviously having ridden both) is that the '14 is somewhat more 'evolved' - more power and shifts a bit more smoothly. BUT, the '13 has the thumpity thump idle that I know and love from the Harleys - just much quieter!

Re: do all these Spyders have radios? and if not (or so), is it worth it to have one? Can you hear it when you are riding?

From afar, I always thought radios were a dumb idea for motorcycles. Too many obnoxious folks 'sharing' their music taste. With that said, I have learned to enjoy the radio in the Spyder and you can hear it just fine without 'sharing'.... Obviously the bluetooth to the helmet is an alternative that we haven't explored yet.

Many of he folks here have been 'Spyder people' for a long time; we are new comers and still forming opinions. We ride with both our local KC Spyder Ryders group AND the the Greater Kansas City Chapter of HOG with excellent acceptance from both groups.

One observation we have made when riding; you get a LOT more smiles when riding a Spyder than you do when riding a Harley.... :?
    Chris Kovachevich, CDS
    Independence, MO

HOG # US5032392
    BCA #47866

Growing old is mandatory; growing UP is optional!

Spyder Garage

Default RS-S models

RS(S) models 2013 and later added cruise control, which could be nice if riding freeways, and such.

I also just want to say in my opinion the all around absolute best open air vehicle is a spyder there is nothing like it, not even close. The power is awesome (breath taking to say the least), the way it handles, the safety factors, excellent storage. All I can say is THE BEST ride out there

I would say the SE5(6) (Electric shift) models are awesome. I don't think many people could shift the spyder faster manually. It to me adds that breath taking acceleration
    Last edited by JAS POWER; 12-05-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks again everyone! All great responses and I am digesting them all.

Spyder Garage

Default DON'T

RICH, DON'T BUY A SPYD3R...... DON'T DON'T DON'T, because all you'll ever wanna do if you buy 1, is RIDE RIDE RIDE......

i got my 1st 1 in 2009, and haven't stopped riding since.... i'm averaging 22,000 miles of smile per year.... multiple X-country & boarder 2 boarder rides... as well is riding to Nova Scotia from my home in SoCar.... if you have an additive personality as i, you'll never want to get off your SPYD3R....

let's NOT even get into FRAKLES..... OMG, you can become even crazier with those darn things....

good luck, and ride safely....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Where in NY? I'm originally from NY, but now live in VA. NY may different, but here in VA, if you only have a 2w endorsement, you cannot legally ride 3w, and vice versa. An M endorsement allows you to ride both. I'm not sure if NY is the same, but I'd check if I were you
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Hi all! Its my first time here.. I am considering purchasing a Can Am Spyder. I am hoping you guys could help me understand a few things about the Spyder. I have never rode a street bike before although I do have a quad and used to ride mini-bikes when I was a kid.

For those who have ridden both 2 wheels and Spyders, my first question is .. Do you think the Spyder is significantly safer? I know there is no real protection around you like when you are in a car, but the 3 wheels seems (in theory) to be more stable which is making me think it may be safer.
    I'm fairly new to Spyders myself but will share my thoughts from the perspective of having ridden motorcycles since 1968 and a LOT of miles while only having just over 2000 miles on our 2014 RT Limited. First off, while the Spyder is significantly safer at low speeds due to not being able to fall over with it like a bike, I don't see that is all that much safer out on the highway or in town. You are still out there unprotected just like on two wheels and vulnerable to all the same hazards of the road and stupidity of cagers. Personally, I still wear all the gear all the time as the saying goes or ATGATT.

Second; some have mentioned better braking capabilities. Just personal experience and opinion here; it depends on what bikes you compare it to. Some modern bikes (since about 1997) have anti-lock brakes with big dual discs up front. A skilled rider can likely stop a bike every bit as fast as a Spyder. On the other hand, the guys who are afraid of their front brake and don't know how to use it, will never even stop as fast as an 18-wheeler & will likely slide down in a low-side claiming they "had to lay her down" to avoid a crash. The safer part of braking with the Spyder (especially for beginners) is that there will not be a learning curve if you have driven a car. You hit that big-ole brake pedal and get stopping power from all three tires--that's a good thing!

Third; bikes are far more maneuverable and can likely help you out of a sticky situation if ever you find yourself in one. But, that kind of skill does not happen overnight; it takes years of riding, training and practice to be able to stay calm in an emergency and react in a way that will not get you into more trouble.

Fourth; this one is mainly true for old, decrepit and vertically challenged guys like me. Being able to stay upright at stops becomes a big deal if you are having issues with joints in hips and knees. The reverse is also a significant factor here; I cannot count the number of times I've almost dropped a bike while backing up or just coming to a stop and had a foot slip on a loose surface. That's totally a non-issue with a Spyder.

Don't know a thing about NY traffic laws, but that sound like a wise choice.

In all the years I've owned bikes, I have found that having external speakers is only useful at lower speeds, like in town. Once you reach highway speeds, wind turbulence causes so much distortion you will not likely enjoy music in a way you would sitting in your car or living room. We solved that problem on the bikes with a helmet to helmet intercom system when riding two-up. There is still some wind noise factor using modular helmets but it's not nearly as bad as trying to hear external speakers at 75mph. When I ride solo, I use an MP3 player with ear buds routed through conventional ear plugs that I drill holes in to receive the ear buds. They deliver concert-hall sound while still allowing me to hear ambient noises from traffic.

Now for just some random thoughts and personal opinions I have had since acquiring our Spyder in October.

1. For me, they are not nearly as much fun as motorcycles; especially in the twisty roads.
    2. They are much more difficult for a do-it-yourselfer to work on. (compared to my 18-year old bikes)
    3. They don't get nearly as good a fuel mileage as a lot of bikes. (that was more of a concern when I was younger and always broke)
    4. They offer much better weather protection than "most" motorcycles, allowing you extended riding seasons.
    5. The dealer discrepancies are varied just like with bikes. (eg. I had one dealer quote me $300 to get one new key while the one I went to did two keys for $146)
    6. The dealer network is limited for now, but I'm sure it will expand as the Spyders become more popular. (the nearest dealer for me is 165 miles away)

That's all I've got for now, but if I think of more, I will add to that final list. I will say, if I can get past this initial shock of nagging little problems I have experienced, I will probably grow more fond of the Spyder.

Good luck with your decision and as always; Ride Safe and Smart or RSS
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 12-06-2017 at 07:47 AM.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always say that with a Spyder, you may fall off, but you won't fall over. So it is marginally safer than two wheels. But, IMHO, the greatest danger to ryding any motorcycle is that the 4-wheel cagers on the road won't see you. You can't assume the Spyder is any more visible than a 2-wheeler.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    To have or not have a radio is a minor consideration, IMO. I bought a leftover 2016 F3-T earlier this year that is one of few (in that model) that does NOT have a radio. I certainly don't miss it.

FWIW, I rode (once) listening to my own tunes via iPod and earbuds to see what, if anything, I was missing out on. Frankly, I didn't feel that it added anything to my experience of riding the Spyder. Of course, your mileage may vary....
    For me, the type of ride determines if I want a radio or not. On my RT and F3T, the radio was a must. On the RSS, it was not necessary. For me, I almost always rode the RSS more agressively and loved the sound of the engine. The RT and F3T I usually ride in more of a relaxed mode. As for using earbuds and such, I just do not like the idea of having the music piped directly into my ears. I feel like it is more distracting when riding than tunes just playing from the speakers.
    That is only my opinion and what works for me. Your results may vary.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=RichGags;1320627]Hi all! Its my first time here.. I am considering purchasing a Can Am Spyder. I am hoping you guys could help me understand a few things about the Spyder. I have never rode a street bike before although I do have a quad and used to ride mini-bikes when I was a kid.

I am sure I will have more questions but thats enough for now. Thank you!

Rich[/QUOTE

You are going to get all kinds of responses in this forum. definitely test ride one first. and yes, I feel they are a lot more safer than 2 wheels. also, look at a year model that has the 1330 engine. and yes, yu can hear the radio.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default NY/NJ...

Hi Rich...welcome...
    I'm pretty new here myself and also looking for my first Spyder...I'm in central NJ, near Princeton...just wanted to mention that you can locate the New Jersey Spyder Ryders group here as well as on Meetup...am sure there are similar groups in your area.
    Have fun!

Rap
    2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic