Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Safer but sometimes scarier

I got rid of my motorcycle for safety reasons, but I find on uneven roads the Spyder can be really scary in that I get bounced around far more side to side. On curves I have started repeating "Trust Nanny" since on very uneven roads I worry about flipping it (flashback to 35-40 years ago with trikes?). I am still new (300 miles) and I expect to get used to it.

But I do enjoy it 100% as much as a motorcycle, and may be better since I can carry more stuff for camping.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=RichGags;1320637]Good idea, I didnt even think of that LOL. I was looking at a few used ones in the 2012 and 2013 year range. My budget is around $10k. Is there a significant difference between a 2018 and 2012 or 13 model year?

Thanks.[/QUOT

I'll throw my 2 cents in the pot. I would suggest test riding all models you are looking at. Personally, I would lean towards the 1330 engine (2014 models and later). and yes, you can hear the radio just fine. everyone has an opinion. AND the 3-wheel configuration is much safer than any 2-wheeler, etc.
    Good luck on finding what you want and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU!
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    Personally, I would lean towards the 1330 engine (2014 models and later). BIG F
    Although it's likely to put you over your budget to go with the 1330 engine, unless you are capable of and willing to do your own maintenance on the 998 I think the additional expense of purchasing the 1330-powered models will pay itself back over time in reduced maintenance.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default MY TAKE ON THIS

[QUOTE=RichGags;1320627]Hi all! Its my first time here.. I am considering purchasing a Can Am Spyder. I am hoping you guys could help me understand a few things about the Spyder. I have never rode a street bike before although I do have a quad and used to ride mini-bikes when I was a kid.

For those who have ridden both 2 wheels and Spyders, my first question is .. Do you think the Spyder is significantly safer? I know there is no real protection around you like when you are in a car, but the 3 wheels seems (in theory) to be more stable which is making me think it may be safer. ... MY EXPERIENCE, 60 YRS+, TELLS ME THAT ALL SPYD3RS ARE SIGNIFICANTLY SAFER than any/all 2 wheelers... just ask the 'Nanny System', aka: VSS...

Also, there seems to be so many different variations of the Spyder. Which year and model do you think would be a good choice for a first timer? I know how to use a clutch but the semi automatic feature seems very cool and very easy. ... you need to find a dealer near you, and take a ride on the various models... what's good for one, isn't for another....

I live in New York and I am signing up for a 2 day course to get my motorcycle licence on a 2 wheel bike. Im thinking that would be the way to go so I could ride anything rather than use the Spyder for the road test (which in NY means I would only be able to drive a 3 wheel bike).

One other really dumb question (please bear with me)... do all these Spyders have radios? and if not (or so), is it worth it to have one? Can you hear it when you are riding? ... NO, not all SPYD3RS have radios... for those that don't care for a radio (me), use 'head-sets' such as the SCALA or SENA, etc... which allows you to communicate with other riders, listen to your own music from your iPhone, or radio... which doesn't aggravate people near you....

I am sure I will have more questions but thats enough for now. Thank you! ... KEEP ASKING, we love it...
    BTW; welcome to the party.....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RichGags View Post
    Good idea, I didnt even think of that LOL. I was looking at a few used ones in the 2012 and 2013 year range. My budget is around $10k. Is there a significant difference between a 2018 and 2012 or 13 model year?

Thanks.
    Buy from a person who bought the bike new.
    Look at the title to make sure it's clear, and validate THEIR name is on it.
    Never buy if they are selling for someone else, people do this as a scam, tax fraud or other nefarious reason.
    Never buy from a dealership.....markup is awful.

You can get an 2015 or newer model loaded with accessories for $10,000.
    Great bikes but like all money pits the price drop like a rock in a pond moments after the first mile is put on them.