Spyder Garage

Default Best RT-S Radiator Grille "Surprise"?

So wifey and I were cleaning up Gipsy Danger the other day and happened upon this:

Feastums.jpg

This little guy took it STRONG to the beak...a little TOO strong, unfortunately. For all the Spanish speakers out there, this was his final "TOMA'!!!"

This got me thinking: Anyone else ever get something "interesting" stuck in their RT-S grille? If so, post pics!
    UCLA F3S (Russ): ('16 F3S SE6 Special Series "The Batpod") - DJ PC V, K&N AF, RLS Punisher Custom Exhaust, 7Jurock 27" Windshield, Corbin Dual Tour Saddle, Shad Rack/Bags, Bajaron Swaybar, BRP Signature Light, Lamonster "Parts Suite" (LED Fog/Headlights, GPS Mount/Garmin Zumo 660LM, RIP Boards, IPS Caps, Foam Grips), Can Am 2-Up Rear Shock; ('16 RT-S SE6 "Gipsy Danger") ​- BRP Adjustable Backrest, Bajaron Swaybar, Magic Mirror Mounts, Lamonster Dual Power Plate w/Large X-Grip

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Bird not in Hand!

Yep, birds and chipmunks take a toll. I installed a set of "GRILL GUARDS" from Spiderpops and now don't worry about a radiator getting punctured, well worth the money and they look good also!
    Last edited by MercerLake; 12-04-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MercerLake View Post
    Yep, birds and chipmunks take a toll. I installed a set of "GRILL GUARDS" from Spiderpops and now don't worry about a radiator getting punctured, well with the money and they look good also!
    Oh, right on! Didn't even know they made those! Might take a look at them. Thanks, ML!

Russ
    UCLA F3S (Russ): ('16 F3S SE6 Special Series "The Batpod") - DJ PC V, K&N AF, RLS Punisher Custom Exhaust, 7Jurock 27" Windshield, Corbin Dual Tour Saddle, Shad Rack/Bags, Bajaron Swaybar, BRP Signature Light, Lamonster "Parts Suite" (LED Fog/Headlights, GPS Mount/Garmin Zumo 660LM, RIP Boards, IPS Caps, Foam Grips), Can Am 2-Up Rear Shock; ('16 RT-S SE6 "Gipsy Danger") ​- BRP Adjustable Backrest, Bajaron Swaybar, Magic Mirror Mounts, Lamonster Dual Power Plate w/Large X-Grip

Spyder Garage

It happens. I had to replace the grill on my dad's 72 Ford LTD wagon after it ate a crow. I was headed into town and the crow was in the middle of my lane on the wrong side on a hill. I came over the rise and the crow made it about 2 ft off the ground. Expensive crow. ��
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MercerLake View Post
    Yep, birds and chipmunks take a toll. I installed a set of "GRILL GUARDS" from Spiderpops and now don't worry about a radiator getting punctured, well worth the money and they look good also!
    Lamonster has them; http://www.lamonstergarage.com/stain...-kott-grilles/
    http://spyderpops.com/the-original-2...-kott-grilles/

$129 a pair I might get these!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-04-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven’t had a dead bird in mine but I’ve had many a bird dine on dead bugs from the radiator grills when I’ve stopped. I’m not a bird fan, but since they are cleaning out the bugs I let them be.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder 42 View Post
    It happens. I had to replace the grill on my dad's 72 Ford LTD wagon after it ate a crow. I was headed into town and the crow was in the middle of my lane on the wrong side on a hill. I came over the rise and the crow made it about 2 ft off the ground. Expensive crow. ��
    I'm always amazed at how the 9,999 out of 10,000 blackbirds and friends manage to get out of the way in the nick of time when I'm tooling down the road at 70 mph! So far in 4 summers of riding I've only had one bird who ended up gracing the front of my Spyder.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I'm always amazed at how the 9,999 out of 10,000 blackbirds and friends manage to get out of the way in the nick of time when I'm tooling down the road at 70 mph! So far in 4 summers of riding I've only had one bird who ended up gracing the front of my Spyder.
    That's good odds, for the most part! "Gooifying" one bird out of 10,000 is about the best you can hope for.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I once caught a Subaru in the grille of my 2010 RT...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I caught a dog in the front end of my 2012 RT

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

First was a suicidal rabbit less than 1000 miles on my Goldwing, later afew birds, one red squirrel now I have a 15 rt-s nothing big just one gopher that made between the front wheels only o be flattened by the rear wheel, seems like my radiator screens like butter flies and bees and have gotten feathers but no whole birds, getting older poor aim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I caught a dog in the front end of my 2012 RT
    BRUTAL! Pictures?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rustynail51 View Post
    First was a suicidal rabbit less than 1000 miles on my Goldwing, later afew birds, one red squirrel now I have a 15 rt-s nothing big just one gopher that made between the front wheels only o be flattened by the rear wheel, seems like my radiator screens like butter flies and bees and have gotten feathers but no whole birds, getting older poor aim
    I thumped a rabbit on my F3 (right front tire) going to work at 4:00 AM one day...I think we were both half asleep and didn't realize what was happening until it was too late.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA F3S View Post
    BRUTAL! Pictures?
    Sorry Russ,I was so surprised and mad I didn't think to take any. Besides doing in the dog it ripped the left front fender loose,broke the hood,broke the nose piece and broke the chrome fin. Cost almost $2000.00 to fix.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Sorry Russ,I was so surprised and mad I didn't think to take any. Besides doing in the dog it ripped the left front fender loose,broke the hood,broke the nose piece and broke the chrome fin. Cost almost $2000.00 to fix.
    Holy Mackerel! Glad you were okay, at least!

Spyder Garage

If I had been on 2 wheels it would have had a different ending I am sure even though I was going pretty slow at the time.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

If I had been on 2 wheels it would have had a different ending I am sure even though I was going pretty slow at the time.
    Yup, I hear you, brother!

Spyder Garage

Default Black mesh?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    As to the KOTT grilles, I'm curious if anyone makes (or has seen) a set w/black mesh vs. the chrome? Or, has anyone painted them black or maybe used something like bed liner paint or something on them?

I have a white RT - not sure how the chrome will look in there.

Thanks.
    2014 Pearl White Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2011 Viper Red Can-Am Spyder RT-S (SOLD)

Spyder Garage

Default New grill ornament!

Well, I was on my F3 and was following my wife on her RT. Heard a noise, we pulled over, this is what I found. Her rear tire kicked up a stick from the road, and it center punched my grill! She said, that's what I get for following to close. No damage, so far, but I keep checking.
    image.jpg

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Juice View Post
    Well, I was on my F3 and was following my wife on her RT. Heard a noise, we pulled over, this is what I found. Her rear tire kicked up a stick from the road, and it center punched my grill! She said, that's what I get for following to close. No damage, so far, but I keep checking.
    image.jpg
    Ouch! Ricochet damage isn't cool either!

Spyder Garage

Any more pictures of radiator gooeyness???