Spyder Garage

Default Blinding to other motorists

So everyone is up to speed I have a bone stock 2012 RS-S with about 2500 miles... I ride a lot at night due to my LONG.....work days. I've been noticing my headlights are VERY blinding to other motorists on the road. For instance I notice people that I am following flipping their rear view mirror to block my lights, and last night I even had a vehicle pull over, and let me by (which I did see him holding his hands up blocking my lights in his side mirrors).

1st I don't tailgate

2nd I don't use my brights very much (I know they aren't on when this is happening)

My questions is does anyone else notice that they are blinding other motorists?
    Last edited by JAS POWER; 12-04-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You may want to check your headlight adjustment, they may be adjusted to high. Not sure about your RS-S but my RT-S has adjustment knobs. Dale

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking

Try a dark road and see how high your lights are shinning, or a drark stretch of freeway where you are lighting up the billboards... My 2012 RS was like that and I finally had to adjust them to a reasonable hieght. Remember to adjust them with weight on the spyder or you will shine up in the trees when you get on....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It would appear to be an adjustment issue. They will do that if you are running high beams--but usually not in regular mode.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

I will check for adjustments, as that seems to be the consensus. I thought it seemed weird .
    Last edited by JAS POWER; 12-04-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default What type of bulb???

Does anyone know what type of bulbs BRP uses as stock???

Would they be using those legal, but irritating bulbs to other drivers. I believe them to be called silver light (or something) by Sylvania???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It may be your adjustment but it also can be the way the low beam causes the light to appear to flicker. Drivers have been known to think the Spyder is a police vehicle and they pull over.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Do as the operators manual says to check and adjust. If u don'y have manual let me know and i will give u instructions

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    So everyone is up to speed I have a bone stock 2012 RS-S with about 2500 miles... I ride a lot at night due to my LONG.....work days. I've been noticing my headlights are VERY blinding to other motorists on the road. For instance I notice people that I am following flipping their rear view mirror to block my lights, and last night I even had a vehicle pull over, and let me by (which I did see him holding his hands up blocking my lights in his side mirrors).

1st I don't tailgate

2nd I don't use my brights very much (I know they aren't on when this is happening)

My questions is does anyone else notice that they are blinding other motorists?
    Good observation on what other drivers are doing.; it shows you are looking around you.

A different [suspension] thought comes to mind. If you changed something in your front suspension, your front could be raised up enough to cause your headlight misalignment or if your rear suspension isn't quite up to task, your rear could be sagging a bit raising the front aim of the headlight... or a change in the tires could net a change in headlight aim.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle