Spyder Garage

Default 2015 F3 anything before I buy

Hi know nothing about the f3. Want one with the 3 cylinders and 6 semi.
    Is there anything wrong with the first year 2015.
    Or should I be looking at newer years do to changes.

Spyder Garage

Default 1st YEAR

I got the 1st F3-S sold in South Carolina back in Feb. 2015... i now have just under 45,000 miles of smiles on it... i've been coast to coast, and border to border on her, and the only issue i've had was the FRONT SPROCKET failure which happened 5 miles from my dealers.... otherwise it's been a fabulous machine....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    I got the 1st F3-S sold in South Carolina back in Feb. 2015... i now have just under 45,000 miles of smiles on it... i've been coast to coast, and border to border on her, and the only issue i've had was the FRONT SPROCKET failure which happened 5 miles from my dealers.... otherwise it's been a fabulous machine....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    I agree. I have only had my 2016 F3T since the end of April 2017. But with just over 9k miles, it has been flawless. But I also owned a 2014 RT with 21k miles, and it was almost flawless also. Only had the DESS error, and that was fixed under warranty. As long as you have a warranty for piece of mind, you should be good.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    The first year F3 was fine, as stated the front sprocket is the biggest concern. I recently rode our 2016 F3 SE6 across the country and back with no problems.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F-3

IMHO , if you have a good deal on this purchase, I'd say go for it ..... the engine and transmission are light years ahead of the V-twin ... My question is ...have you driven one ????.... they are quite a bit different than any other previous Spyders in they way feel to the operator and more so any passengers .... there are many options for adding side bags & a rear trunk that won't break the bank ....plus you could add a Shark Stereo for less than $ 150.00 ........ good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default I'm with them....

Go for it...and if you haven't test ryde one to confirm....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Go to Sierra Cycles

We have a 2015 F3-S and an RT. Both have been fantastic. As I see you are from AZ, I suggest you go to and/or speak to the folks at Sierra Cycles in Sierra Vista as they are the best dealer in AZ! I really mean this as I've dealt with most of them for the last 20 years.

PM me or email me at robhowen@gmail.com if you want more dealer info.

Regards,
    Rob

Hi know nothing about the f3. Want one with the 3 cylinders and 6 semi. Is there anything wrong with the first year 2015.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

The F3 is a FUN, FUN, FUN machine. All above comments are excellent. About the only thing I would add to the advice to first go and take a test ride, is to suggest that you define your purpose in wanting one: do you plan to ride solo, or go two-up? do you want it 'sporty' or will you go cruising, maybe even short touring? Those answers may help you decide on which version of the F3 will best suit you, because you do have a range of choices. If you're thinking two-up and medium tours, then you might want to think newer as opposed to 2015. In particular, the 2017 F3L gives you larger storage capacity with its added rear top case, and an electronically adjusted rear suspension, resulting in something sporty but closer to the RT in features. Depending on both your budget and riding requirements, you may or may not want those features. A new, unsold 2017 F3 of any version will be very much discounted now, price-wise, so you might find yourself a heck of a deal if you search around. You'll be a couple of years newer, with a lot less invested, if/when it comes time to re-sell. Buy one and enjoy, whichever you choose.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Was there not a frame brace that had to be added under warranty because of a crack issue with some of the '15 F3s? That would be something to confirm had been corrected if buying a used '15 F3.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, before you buy try and negotiate the longest extended warrantee possible into the total price. These are great rides but they do have their issues and they are not cheap to fix.

Spyder Garage

I notice your profile states you have a 2014 RT. Since you already have the three cylinder and six speeds you are familiar with that part of the set up.

The F3 is going to feel more like a "cruiser" and will have different operational ergos because of that. The softer ride of the RT will be gone.

Deals will be good, but I still recommend a test ride on the F3 before jumping on the purchase wagon. The mention of a frame brace is also right on.

I like the looks, but I don't like ergos--even with the adjustment factors built in. Still the RT for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Was there not a frame brace that had to be added under warranty because of a crack issue with some of the '15 F3s? That would be something to confirm had been corrected if buying a used '15 F3.
    Yes and the trans gear position sensor on some. But, any respectable dealer would have these done before actually selling the machine.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default frame brace

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Yes there is a recall. The brace is under the rider's seat. I'd have the dealer check to see if it's been done. I bought my 2015 F3 used with 175 miles on it and the dealer installed the brace before they sold it to me.

Spyder Garage

I just purchased a used 2015 F3S,did a demo on a new RT LTD smooth ride seemed top heavy to me with the wife on. I like the seating position on the F3 better. lower center of gravity also a lot of fun one up. had a BRP rep tell me to stay away from the 2014's. It came with a F4 windshield and factory passenger and driver back rest which are easily removable

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    Yes there is a recall. The brace is under the rider's seat. I'd have the dealer check to see if it's been done. I bought my 2015 F3 used with 175 miles on it and the dealer installed the brace before they sold it to me.
    Is there a pic or can you give me an idea what to look for so I can check to see if I've had this brace installed. thanks

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 differences

Thanks for all the info. It looks like the only issue is it's a harder ride with out my RT electric suspension. I do ride 2 up most of the time . We are In our late 60s.
    Sitting on one in the showroom felt great but I guess I need to go get a long test ride
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Default photo

Quote Originally Posted by lastinline View Post
    Is there a pic or can you give me an idea what to look for so I can check to see if I've had this brace installed. thanks
    I don't have a photo and can't unbolt the eat right now, but as I remember it's a flat steel bar that goes across the frame rails towards the rear of the seat.

Spyder Garage

Default 2 up shock

Thanks for all the info. It looks like the only issue is it's a harder ride with out my RT electric suspension. I do ride 2 up most of the time . We are In our late 60s.
    Sitting on one in the showroom felt great but I guess I need to go get a long test ride
    Kenn
    My wife talked me into trying the CanAm two up shock instead of spring for the more expensive Elka. To my surprise it did the job and I'm pushing 280 pounds. I'd still go for the stage 2 or 3 Elkas if price isn't a problem. The Can AM is about $200.00 and the Elka is about $600.00 US.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lastinline View Post
    Go to this link. It has all the info you need (w/pics) concerning the brace....
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/news/...reinforcement/
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Just did that in June. 16 for 1900.00 Push button shift. Savings bought me full lifetime warranty "bumper to bumper".

Best move in recent memory fspYdy2.jpgor me.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Kenn
    If you go with a 2017 F3L, you will have electronically adjusted rear suspension similar to your RT. That feature, along with the integrated rear top case/backrest, is what begins to make the F3L somewhat more truly comparable to the RT in features. These recent improvements were not on earlier F3's or on the F3T. Adds to price consideration, of course, Take a test ride of the different F3 models to ascertain for yourself whether the difference is meaningful to you. My lady and I (mid-70's) ride two-up 95% of the time, anywhere from 2-hour to 6-hour rides. We love the F3L; she finds the passenger seat very comfortable, and liked it far more than the RT we test rode. I just couldn't get comfortable on the RT (sore hips) so, in the end, our choice was unanimous. Good luck.
    Last edited by bushrat; 12-06-2017 at 06:17 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

thanks for all the info and link guys, I also have a 2-up shock on the way, the stock shock is too mushy, wife and I are around 400lb combined going over parking lot humps I think we bottomed no real issue on the roads but were fairly smooth, all I've read give them a thumbs up