Spyder Garage

Default Question about add-on electrical items

I've had the driving lights and heated grips installed at my dealer and I've got a question. The on-off buttons are always lighted, so I can't tell by looking if the driving lights are off or on (same with the heated grips). Is it normal that the buttons are always lighted?
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

they should turn off when you switch the key off

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    they should turn off when you switch the key off
    Haha, you're right of course. But, I think he was asking about when the ignition switch is ON.

I haven't really noticed the switch lights because I can't see them in bright daylight anyway. But, yes, I think the switch is always lighted when the ignition switch is in the ON position; that way you can find them in dim light. You just have to check which position the switch is in by looking at it (not by the whether or not it's lighted)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Haha, you're right of course. But, I think he was asking about when the ignition switch is ON.

I haven't really noticed the switch lights because I can't see them in bright daylight anyway. But, yes, I think the switch is always lighted when the ignition switch is in the ON position; that way you can find them in dim light. You just have to check which position the switch is in by looking at it (not by the whether or not it's lighted)

Okay, now I'm really confused. First, assume that the Spyder is on the road.

I have two lighted buttons. As long as the Spyder is turned on, they are lighted. But, they aren't switches. They're lighted disks. So, they don't have positions.

And, as far as I can tell, if I touch them and turn them from ON/OFF or OFF/ON, the display doesn't change. I still have 2 lighted buttons.

Is that normal?
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by foxtail1 View Post
    Okay, now I'm really confused. First, assume that the Spyder is on the road. I have two lighted buttons. As long as the Spyder is turned on, they are lighted. But, they aren't switches. They're lighted disks. So, they don't have positions. And, as far as I can tell, if I touch them and turn them from ON/OFF or OFF/ON, the display doesn't change. I still have 2 lighted buttons. Is that normal?
    A picture might help.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by foxtail1 View Post
    Okay, now I'm really confused. First, assume that the Spyder is on the road.

I have two lighted buttons. As long as the Spyder is turned on, they are lighted. But, they aren't switches. They're lighted disks. So, they don't have positions.

And, as far as I can tell, if I touch them and turn them from ON/OFF or OFF/ON, the display doesn't change. I still have 2 lighted buttons.

Is that normal?
    Yes this is normal they are always lit. Push the button, for "ON" it will stay down. For "OFF" it will be flush with the top. There is not a lot of difference in the heights but it is there. It would be nice if they changed color, for on and off but they don't. They are always on so you can find them. I am always guessing if they are on or off myself. With gloves on you can not feel the difference in height.

Chris
    One of the FIRST to own a Spyder 2008 No.2817 Premier Edition Spyder GS. I knew a good thing when I saw it!!

2016 F3-T, LED Headlights, Frnt. & Bck. Side Marker Lights, Back Frnt. Fender Lights, Trailer Hitch. Floor Boards Frnt. and Bck. Third Brake light. Cannonball seats. F4 24" windshileld. ( CAT Delete Pipe (muffler bck. on) ) 2003 Valkyrie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by No 2817 View Post
    Yes this is normal they are always lit. Push the button, for "ON" it will stay down. For "OFF" it will be flush with the top. There is not a lot of difference in the heights but it is there. It would be nice if they changed color, for on and off but they don't. They are always on so you can find them. I am always guessing if they are on or off myself. With gloves on you can not feel the difference in height.

Chris
    Thank you, Chris! I've always had gloves on, and, you're right— I didn't notice (or look for) any height difference. I'll check it out tonight when I get home.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by No 2817 View Post

Chris

with Chris. Heated grip push buttons on my 2017 F3L are always lit up, front and back, when key is turned on. Very difficult to tell whether push button setting is actually "ON" or "OFF"; you never really know until your hands start getting very warm. Then, it becomes obvious, even when wearing gloves.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default Lighted switch delema

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    with Chris. Heated grip push buttons on my 2017 F3L are always lit up, front and back, when key is turned on. Very difficult to tell whether push button setting is actually "ON" or "OFF"; you never really know until your hands start getting very warm. Then, it becomes obvious, even when wearing gloves.
    I bought the ones on Amazon, $10.00 (19MM). It was the Ulincos latching pushbutton switch U19c2 1n01nc SPDT on/off. You can wire them up so they only light up when switched on. There's a schematic to do this with one of the switches listed on Amazon. Fixing the Spyder one may be tough. I bought the socket to go with it. Tight fit but it does go in there. I use it to switch on my spot lights. The switch is identical to the BRP one. Do some searching as there are several ones on there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    When I looked at the buttons last night, I could clearly see the two positions. I think now I'll be able to tell by looking, even if I can't feel the difference with gloves on.

I agree about the very warm hands! They were almost too warm on my ride last Sunday, but when I turned the heater off briefly, I decided that really warm was better than cool.

Thanks everyone!
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

There is a wiring diagram on this page, haven't tried it yet.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...abs_brd_tag_dp
    2015 F3 SE6 Black and Chrome, Smoothspyder Backrest and more to come.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikind7 View Post
    There is a wiring diagram on this page, haven't tried it yet.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...abs_brd_tag_dp
    That won't work for the fogs (or, I assume the grips) OEM circuit. There is really only one way to have the light ring/LED lit only when the accessory has power and that is to run a wire back to the switch from the accessory itself which is beyond the relay. Your ring/LED will be on when on and off when off. The OEM circuit completes the ground rather than switch the hot +12v (forgot to mention that but it is shown that way in my drawing).

fogmanual.jpg
    Last edited by Rattlebars; 12-05-2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: added the note about ground being switched.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Default button is depressed

you can tell if something is on by looking at the button. It will be depressed. At least thats how it is on mine