Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default US imposes 300% import tariff on Bombardier

http://www.theweek.co.uk/trade/88867...-on-bombardier

“This hypocrisy is appalling” the spokesperson added, “and it should be deeply troubling to any importer of large, complex, and highly engineered products.”

could the Spyder be next ... ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post

“This hypocrisy is appalling” the spokesperson added, “and it should be deeply troubling to any importer of large, complex, and highly engineered products.”

I don't think it's falling yet!

Spyder Garage

Hi blitzkreig,

Re: US imposes 300% import tariff on Bombardier

It will be interesting to hear how loud Boeing squeals when the Canadians do the same.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only it if competes with an American manufacturer with political influence ..... oh boy...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Has anybody produced facts showing how much Bombardier is being subsidized by the Canadian and Irish governments? And then let's see how much Boeing is being supported by the US and local Gov'ts via direct and indirect subsidies, like tax breaks.

Remember, tariffs on large imported motorcycles put in place by the Reagan administration is what saved HD.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Has anybody produced facts showing how much Bombardier is being subsidized by the Canadian and Irish governments? And then let's see how much Boeing is being supported by the US and local Gov'ts via direct and indirect subsidies, like tax breaks. Remember, tariffs on large imported motorcycles put in place by the Reagan administration is what saved HD.
    So much for free market advocacy. NAFTA is on the chopping block and China is stepping into the void we left in Asia. If this is what fiscal conservatism and free market capitalism has become we're doomed.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-03-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

How about this.
    Start making those engines in the US and there will be NO TARIFF!

BTW
    Bombardier is not the ONLY manufacturer that pays to play in the US without manufacturing in the US, so before getting your pantyhose all tied up in a knot get ALL the FACTS!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

No worry IMO on the . They already tried that game with motorcycles in order to help HD. All it gave us were more expensive motorcycles--and HD is one of the leaders.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    How about this. Start making those engines in the US and there will be NO TARIFF! AJ
    The tariff is cheaper than using American labor. If we forced all manufacturers to make their goods in the US, only the top 1% could afford to buy anything. There's no simple answer to the world trade issues.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Who really cares?
    In another 100 years: we'll all be dead, and a bunch of other nit-wits will still be bitching about the same damn stuff...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Who really cares? In another 100 years: we'll all be dead, and a bunch of other nit-wits will still be bitching about the same damn stuff...
    You're right. I hate it when that happens.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-03-2017 at 07:17 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You aren't by chance thinking they're connected? BRP, the mfgr of the Spyder is not affiliated with Bombardier, the airplane maker. Or are you just wondering about the Spyder since both are Canadian made? The Spyder falls under NAFTA. The jets may not since so much of their production is in Ireland.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Default Just some corrections to things mentioned or implied.

The tariff is on the the C series aircraft only.

BRP and Bombardier are not the same company. Bombardier sold them off in 2003.

The engines on the C series airplane are made in the US. Made by Pratt & Whitney a division of United Technologies Corporation. Bombardier does not make any aircraft engines.

A little over 50% of the C Series aircraft parts are made in the US.

The aircraft is not made in Ireland. The wings are made there.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So the only basis for the tariff are the alleged subsidies by the Canadian and Irish governments. Can Boeing prove the subsidies do in fact exist? If so, they may have an argument.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

tariffs are one thing but exorbitant tariffs are another. 220% is just plain crazy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You aren't by chance thinking they're connected? BRP, the mfgr of the Spyder is not affiliated with Bombardier, the airplane maker. Or are you just wondering about the Spyder since both are Canadian made? The Spyder falls under NAFTA. The jets may not since so much of their production is in Ireland.
    The two are still owned by the parent company of Bombardier Inc. but operate as separate entities.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    The two are still owned by the parent company of Bombardier Inc. but operate as separate entities.

​Jack
    That's incorrect. They are separate companies. Both publicly traded. Bombardier inc. has no equity in BRP. If Bombardier had any equity ownership in any other company. That would have been sold long ago trying to stay out of bankruptcy.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Nit-Wits

In another 100 years: we'll all be dead, and a bunch of other nit-wits will still be bitching about the same damn stuff...
    Sounds like Thanksgiving dinners with my family.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    No worry IMO on the . They already tried that game with motorcycles in order to help HD. All it gave us were more expensive motorcycles--and HD is one of the leaders.
    I agree plus a large portion of HD motorcycles are Not build in the USA & some of the parts like the Struts/shocks are built by Honda's subsidy "Showa" in Sunbury, OH.. Electronics from Japan.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Sounds like Thanksgiving dinners with my family.

~Sandee~
    Thanks, Sis!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't think so. It definitely protected HD so they could raise their prices but its effect upon the Japanese big CC engines was minimal.

What it did do was encourage the Japanese "big 3" to reduce the size of their engines and come out with better performing, yet cheaper, street machines. Since HD buyers generally don't buy on price and wouldn't be caught dead riding Japanese machines it had very little impact on the market overall.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I don't think so. It definitely protected HD so they could raise their prices but its effect upon the Japanese big CC engines was minimal.

What it did do was encourage the Japanese "big 3" to reduce the size of their engines and come out with better performing, yet cheaper, street machines. Since HD buyers generally don't buy on price and wouldn't be caught dead riding Japanese machines it had very little impact on the market overall.
    I am going to respectfully disagree on a couple points. Those wonderful inline fours pretty much disappeared. Every Japanese major ended up with V twins and HD clones in the process. I am one of the few that liked the UJM. My last inline 4 was the last year Kawi Voyager. 2002, 2003???? I currently have a v-twin 2015 900 LTD.

Pretty much all Japanese from the 60's up were flawless. I never had a major mechanical problem over all four brands and every cc level. What stuck out for me was the disappearance of the in line fours--the copy cat v twin on pretty much everything, and the new and improved pricing. HD was the clear winner. Everyone had to match HD pricing in the long run.

The current market is changing a bit. I do believe HD is going to price themselves out of the market. Their new CVO line is starting at $40K.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am going to respectfully disagree on a couple points. Those wonderful inline fours pretty much disappeared. Every Japanese major ended up with V twins and HD clones in the process. I am one of the few that liked the UJM. My last inline 4 was the last year Kawi Voyager. 2002, 2003???? I currently have a v-twin 2015 900 LTD.

Pretty much all Japanese from the 60's up were flawless. I never had a major mechanical problem over all four brands and every cc level. What stuck out for me was the disappearance of the in line fours--the copy cat v twin on pretty much everything, and the new and improved pricing. HD was the clear winner. Everyone had to match HD pricing in the long run.

The current market is changing a bit. I do believe HD is going to price themselves out of the market. Their new CVO line is starting at $40K.
    I too was a big fan of the inline fours. My '71 Honda 750 Four (slightly modified) could beat the pants off any HD made in those days.

But the UJM were just following a trend by trying to copy HD's Potato Twins. It didn't succeed. Both Yamaha and Kawasaki did however sell a bunch of their 80ish vertical twins ala Triumph, BSA etc. So sometimes copying but producing a better product does work. I owned a '81 Yammy 650 Twin which, when I saw it last, had well over 100,000 miles on it and the then owner was about to take it cross country for the 4th or 5th time. I think Kawasaki still sells their version of the Triumph Bonneville 650 twin.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The W650 us no longer offered for sale in the U.S.
    But it might still be available in other markets...

Spyder Garage

The W650 us no longer offered for sale in the U.S.
    But it might still be available in other markets...

Yes, it's the W800 now tho I think they're no longer being produced but some stock still available.

https://kawasaki.com.au/shop/motorcy.../2016-w800-se/
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.