Hybrid View

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I am going to respectfully disagree on a couple points. Those wonderful inline fours pretty much disappeared. Every Japanese major ended up with V twins and HD clones in the process. I am one of the few that liked the UJM. My last inline 4 was the last year Kawi Voyager. 2002, 2003???? I currently have a v-twin 2015 900 LTD.

Pretty much all Japanese from the 60's up were flawless. I never had a major mechanical problem over all four brands and every cc level. What stuck out for me was the disappearance of the in line fours--the copy cat v twin on pretty much everything, and the new and improved pricing. HD was the clear winner. Everyone had to match HD pricing in the long run.

The current market is changing a bit. I do believe HD is going to price themselves out of the market. Their new CVO line is starting at $40K.
    I too was a big fan of the inline fours. My '71 Honda 750 Four (slightly modified) could beat the pants off any HD made in those days.

But the UJM were just following a trend by trying to copy HD's Potato Twins. It didn't succeed. Both Yamaha and Kawasaki did however sell a bunch of their 80ish vertical twins ala Triumph, BSA etc. So sometimes copying but producing a better product does work. I owned a '81 Yammy 650 Twin which, when I saw it last, had well over 100,000 miles on it and the then owner was about to take it cross country for the 4th or 5th time. I think Kawasaki still sells their version of the Triumph Bonneville 650 twin.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The W650 us no longer offered for sale in the U.S.
    But it might still be available in other markets...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The W650 us no longer offered for sale in the U.S.
    But it might still be available in other markets...

Yes, it's the W800 now tho I think they're no longer being produced but some stock still available.

https://kawasaki.com.au/shop/motorcy.../2016-w800-se/
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

This is nothing new, Boeing, Airbus, the Brazilian aircraft maker, all have been in and out of these disputes for years. They drag on for years before being settled (sometimes by the WTO) and all of them have won and lost decisions against each other. Airbus has a big part to play in this too.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ram/770476001/
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White, Mfg. date 1/28/2014
    BRP heated seat, BRP backrest, SpyderFlap, Tricled mirror turn signals, KOTT Grills, BRP adjustable side air vent, Bumpskid, Bajaron sway bar and heim links, Spyderpops belt guard, Tricled day lighters, Tricled fender LEDs, CD HMT running/brake LEDs

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Yes, it's the W800 now tho I think they're no longer being produced but some stock still available.

https://kawasaki.com.au/shop/motorcy.../2016-w800-se/
    Stick an old Norton Featherbed frame under that motor and you would have a great ride!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

HD's AMF management nearly killed the breed as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    HD's AMF management nearly killed the breed as well.
    I'd forgotten about that. It was mystifying to me at the time. Couldn't understand the synergy with a bowling machine manufacturer.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'd forgotten about that. It was mystifying to me at the time. Couldn't understand the synergy with a bowling machine manufacturer.
    It was shortly after AMF sold HD to the investor group that the tariffs were put in place to help HD to recover.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I too was a big fan of the inline fours. My '71 Honda 750 Four (slightly modified) could beat the pants off any HD made in those days.

But the UJM were just following a trend by trying to copy HD's Potato Twins. It didn't succeed. Both Yamaha and Kawasaki did however sell a bunch of their 80ish vertical twins ala Triumph, BSA etc. So sometimes copying but producing a better product does work. I owned a '81 Yammy 650 Twin which, when I saw it last, had well over 100,000 miles on it and the then owner was about to take it cross country for the 4th or 5th time. I think Kawasaki still sells their version of the Triumph Bonneville 650 twin.
    Pretty sure those old 750 fours would beat current day HD's (I own a Road King so I know)

I remember back when I worked at the Harley shop and HD stock was selling for 5 cents a share just prior to AMF buying HD. The US tried tariffs against the Asian market then but it didn't seem to do much then and probably will not do much now. There is always a way around.
    Best practice seems to be build better and cheaper and customers will come.