Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery tender 3 amp

Hello, I found a Battery Tender 3 amp at Steelz (Costco outlet) for $30. I purchased thinking I would ask here if it was too much for my Spyder, if it is I will end up using for my truck. I have been doing research and hear a lot about the junior and plus. I think I read a post one time saying the plus was better for newer batteries. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Ramg66
    Last edited by Ramg66; 12-02-2017 at 12:57 PM.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramg66 View Post
    Hello, I found a Battery Tender 3 amp charger at Steelz (Costco outlet) for $30. I purchased thinking I would ask here if it was too much for my Spyder, if it is I will end up using for my truck. I have been doing research and hear a lot about the junior and plus. I think I read a post one time saying the plus was better for newer batteries. Any advice is appreciated.
    You got a good deal. It's $50 at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende.../dp/B016S7NHWQ

Your Spyder battery doesn't need such a high amperage, but it won't hurt it either.

"The Battery Tender® Power Plus is a 3 Amp battery charger that will fully recharge and then maintain a battery at its proper storage voltage without the damaging effects caused by trickle chargers. A higher output (3 amps) than the original Battery Tender Plus for a quicker recharge on Automotive, Marine, and Power Sport batteries combined with the automatic switch to maintenance mode makes this unit very versatile. It is an ideal charger for everyday charging use or long-term storage and maintenance. Ideal for AGM, Flooded, and Gel batteries."
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If it is in fact a "Battery Tender", you should be good to go. A three amp Charger? not so much, But if it is a tender, it will hold a float charge, and monitor, then do a little charging action as needed. For a powersports battery, probably even the Junior will do the trick.
    Be advised, a tender generally will not revive a dead flat battery.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    If it is in fact a "Battery Tender", you should be good to go. A three amp Charger?
    Thank you for the heads up, I have edited to say battery tender 3 amp.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the heads up, I have edited to say battery tender 3 amp.
    Even if it wasn't a Battery Tender make, if it is fully automatic it would be fine.

The stated capacity is the MAXIMUM possible but it only gives what is needed, which in most situations is less than that.

The things you want to avoid for maintenance use are manual ones. Anything described as a "trickle charger" is suspect.
    So are ones that sell for $10 or less.

Spyder Garage

Default HARBOR FREIGHT

I've been using the HARBOR FREIGHT battery tender for years on my SPYD3R, trucks, tractor, etc... and i have never had one go bad on me... and when they are on sale, you can get them for $5.00.....

https://www.harborfreight.com/automa...ger-42292.html
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I have been using the exact same Harbour Freight chargers as SPYD3R has for the last 12 years {3 and not yet to have one fail} on my snowmobiles, Quads, and motorcycles, and have had the batterys last 12 plus years. The chargers are plugged in 24/7 365 days a year. Just purchased 4 more here at Princess Auto
    for $8.99 each. They call them a Battery Float Charge And Maintainer.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Just not gonna trust my $$$ Spyder with a $5 trickle charger same as I wouldn't trust my toddlers with a $5/hr babysitter......

I'll just sleep better.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the advice, I picked another one up today. My babies (Tundra and Spyder) get Battery Tenders , I will buy Harbor Freight ones for my quads and John Deere tractor.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender

I have been using the 'Battery Tenders' units for many years. They are good tools to keep a battery in a good state of charge. I use the 3 amp for my Spyder 2016 RT. Little Blue
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I am always suspect of anything "Harbor Freight". (Made in China) Just could not trust anything that only cost $5.00!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    I've been using the HARBOR FREIGHT battery tender for years on my SPYD3R, trucks, tractor, etc... and i have never had one go bad on me... and when they are on sale, you can get them for $5.00.....

Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Same here-- $7 I believe I spent $12 once at another store. You can online mail order from just about any store--Harbor Freight to Amazon.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

I am always suspect of anything "Harbor Freight". (Made in China) Just could not trust anything that only cost $5.00!

​Jack
    I'm the same way, but I am one who has never used a battery tender. I usually wait till spring and see what is dead, I then put my Black and Decker battery charger on it and if it comes up F03 (Dead battery) I put my schumacher on it until my B&D will charge it. If it keeps giving me problems I replace. I'm curious to see how long my batteries last now.

Spyder Garage

Default May increase battery life

I hope you experience what I do and that is I've used Battery Tenders for decades now. I believe that I am getting years of extra life out of batteries vs. others. AZ is tough on batteries and I get probably 7 years where most people get 3.

Rob

I'm curious to see how long my batteries last now.
    Last edited by robhowen; 12-03-2017 at 10:20 AM.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    I've been using the HARBOR FREIGHT battery tender for years on my SPYD3R, trucks, tractor, etc...
    I am certainly happy that you have had such good luck.

Have you actually checked the voltage or current flow when they indicate that the battery is "full" ?
    Do they have a "full" indicator ??

Given my horrible track record with HF Cen-tech electronics, I certainly won't be trusting any of my $100 plus batteries to a $5 charger.

Their multi-meters work good.
    I wouldn't touch any of their other electronic stuff with a 50 foot pole.
    Their 2/10/50 charger I got is a joke. It makes a good door stop.

Spyder Garage

I too was skeptical about the cheap HF chargers thinking they were likely junk. I also have 4 Schumacher maintainers [$40.00 each] out of originally 6 as two failed along with other expensive chargers you can use for door stops. I have not had one HF maintainer fail and they have maintained some of my batterys for over 12 years.
    It might not be everybodys cup of tea, I was just stateing my experience. Everybody to there own.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender

I have used Deltran Battery Tenders exclusively for quite some time. They are a little bit more expensive than a Harbor Freight unit. However, I feel that the additional expense is a small price to pay for the peace of mind I get from using a Deltran. But that's just me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    I was just stateing my experience. Everybody to there own.
    Roger
    And my point IS: The simple fact that none of your batteries have failed when the HF tender was in use is circumstantial evidence.......IF you haven't checked the voltage occasionally to see what is really happening. Oh, and checked the water level too.

A good tender will cause the battery to lose little or no liquid over a 4-6 month winter storage. A cheap one might cause it to lose a LOT.

20 years ago I bought an electronic elephant repeller. It obviously is working perfectly......because in that 20 years I have not seen a SINGLE elephant.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 12-03-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have the same one from Costco and have been using it for 6 months without any issues. I did the same and picked one up when they were on sale also.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Okay, I have a question

I plugged my new Battery Tender 3 amp to my Spyder and my 2006 Toyota Tundra. When I plugged it into my Spyder it charged for a couple minutes and then it indicated it was fully charged and stayed that way, my Tundra on the other hand has been blinking charging for 2 days, I even swapped the BT's to troubleshoot and still same thing, why is that?

Spyder Garage

Default DITTO

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    I too was skeptical about the cheap HF chargers thinking they were likely junk. I also have 4 Schumacher maintainers [$40.00 each] out of originally 6 as two failed along with other expensive chargers you can use for door stops. I have not had one HF maintainer fail and they have maintained some of my batterys for over 12 years.
    It might not be everybodys cup of tea, I was just stateing my experience. Everybody to there own.
    Roger
    R FUN....
    i have to say in the 15 years i've been using HF tenders, i've yet to have one fail.... the 1st one i bought was to be used on an auxiliary battery that i keep in my garage for emergency purposes.... the battery & HF tender are still there to this day and i have never had an issue with either.... everyone makes their own choices, and that's ok... i've made mine, and i'm ok with that...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

​Jack
    don't confuse the fact with made in china, it's how well made or who makes it not necessarily where. corvette & escalade oem chrome
    wheels are made in china under gm. but made in china under harbor freight is where i have a problem. harbor freight are very cheap
    items, when occasionally used are ok, but when used regularly they will fail and electronic items from them will not be accurate.
    i always say if you buy cheap chinese you will get it.

Spyder Garage

Default Charger

[QUOTE=SPYD3R;1320009]I've been using the HARBOR FREIGHT battery tender for years on my SPYD3R, trucks, tractor, etc... and i have never had one go bad on me... and when they are on sale, you can get them for $5.00.

Dan P
    SPYD3R[/QUOTE

Looking at those tiny wires coming off this charger says it all. No thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default this issue

I plugged my new Battery Tender 3 amp to my Spyder and my 2006 Toyota Tundra. When I plugged it into my Spyder it charged for a couple minutes and then it indicated it was fully charged and stayed that way, my Tundra on the other hand has been blinking charging for 2 days, I even swapped the BT's to troubleshoot and still same thing, why is that?
    You should consider the difference in battery sizes ..... and the Tundra battery may have needed more of a boost than the Spyder battery.............jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes, I check my batterys every week and they hold pretty well constant at 13.2V. I too have some very expensive tools and equipment and you cannot always tell the quality by the price you payed,and I have batterys last 12 years using those CHEAP chargers and have had expensive chargers pack in after a year or two. I did not join this discussion to argue, I am just telling you my experience , I do not have shares in HF.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light