Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I use Waze, a free app that has been recently upgraded for motorcycles as well as cars. It also gives you warnings like "police activity ahead" or "pothole ahead" on the right. I have found it to be very accurate. It gives you turn by turn instructions like a GPS, and if you have Bluetooth comms such as Sena, you can pair your phone to it and hear it in your helmet.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got Google Maps and Genius Maps (The name of the last one is putting too much pressure on me... )
    I think that I can let them argue over where I am, and get back to the Music...

I grabbed Spotify, and am AMAZED at the kickin' playlists that it brewed up for me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Check out WAZE they have just introduced a section specially for 2 wheels and 3 wheeled motorbikes. I love WAZE use in my car all the time it warns you of where the cops are up ahead and any kind of danger it even warned me that there was a roadkill a mile ahead in the center of the road.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

on the new phone. I have yet to buy a "smart" phone. I use a cheapo burner phone for mobile these days. Enjoy, and don't get to frustrated. Lots of help on SL though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    Check out WAZE they have just introduced a section specially for 2 wheels and 3 wheeled motorbikes. I love WAZE use in my car all the time it warns you of where the cops are up ahead and any kind of danger it even warned me that there was a roadkill a mile ahead in the center of the road.
    That uses a full time data connection though, doesn't it?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ... Of the arrival of our 2018 RT-L 10th Anniversary model: I went out and got a Smart-Phone.

But the damn thing is WAYYYYyyyyy.... smarter than I'll ever be!

It's an LG G5 (Android based...)

Question: Can anyone advise me on how to install a Navigation App on this thing?
    (And which Nav App I should use?)

Okay: TWO questions!

I'm still figgerin'-out the whole picture thing...

on the new ride and the phone!
    I bought a cheap Smartphone for touring, it's great to check out the next days route, motels, Etc.
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    That uses a full time data connection though, doesn't it?
    Yes, it does. I'm lucky in that I have an old grandfathered AT&T data plan. Three phones on it, whatever data you don't use rolls over to the next month. We have never even used 1/4 of our data between 3 phones in any given month. But Spotify & such use your data also. I use Google Play Music which not only uses a lot of data, it also drains my battery faster. Waze doesn't seem to use as much battery or data.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Yes, it does. I'm lucky in that I have an old grandfathered AT&T data plan. Three phones on it, whatever data you don't use rolls over to the next month. We have never even used 1/4 of our data between 3 phones in any given month. But Spotify & such use your data also. I use Google Play Music which not only uses a lot of data, it also drains my battery faster. Waze doesn't seem to use as much battery or data.
    Even though folks from urban areas don't think about cell service not being everywhere, it isn't. You get out into the west and there are many many dead zones once you're off the Interstates. And a lot of times what ain't dead is covered by a cell company you don't happen to have!

And then there are guys like me who buy low volume prepaid service who would burn up their data allotment in two days on the road! A GPS that relies entirely on downloaded maps is the only way I'll probably ever go.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Default Google maps

If you have location turned on you get a timeline that will show where you've been every day , where you've stopped , how long you've stopped etc.. I didn't even know it was on my phone until finding by accident.Had every place I'd been the last two years.

Spyder Garage

Even though folks from urban areas don't think about cell service not being everywhere, it isn't. You get out into the west and there are many many dead zones once you're off the Interstates. And a lot of times what ain't dead is covered by a cell company you don't happen to have!

And then there are guys like me who buy low volume prepaid service who would burn up their data allotment in two days on the road! A GPS that relies entirely on downloaded maps is the only way I'll probably ever go.
    Google maps, Genius maps and I am not sure about Wase. Will work just fine without cell service. Maps can be pre downloaded. Since Genius Maps is the only gps map app compatible with the display so far. For it the maps for all of North America can be stored on your phone at once. Just the up to date traffic functions won't work. But when you are out in the sticks. You are are not really concerned about a traffic jam.
    Last edited by billybovine; 12-02-2017 at 11:23 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was able to download Genius Maps yesterday, and it seems kind of tough to figure out.
    I HOPE that I can get it sorted out before the bike gets here...
    (Google Maps is MUCH more user-friendly.)

Spyder Garage

I use google driving.
    it shows you a picture of your destination when you arrive.

when the new baby arrives, use your new phone to post pics
    of the bike and it's mobile home meeting

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was able to download Genius Maps yesterday, and it seems kind of tough to figure out. (Google Maps is MUCH more user-friendly.)
    I've never checked out Genius Maps and now maybe I'm glad I haven't ... IQ is adequate but certainly not in 'genius' territory...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I was able to download Genius Maps yesterday, and it seems kind of tough to figure out.
    I HOPE that I can get it sorted out before the bike gets here...
    (Google Maps is MUCH more user-friendly.)
    Google maps is free and Genius Maps is free for 7 days and you have to pay for detailed maps, turn by turn directions, plus other features. $54.99 CAD. Also live traffic for $18.99 CAD. Of course the USD price will be lower.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Google maps is free and Genius Maps is free for 7 days and you have to pay for detailed maps, turn by turn directions, plus other features. $54.99 CAD. Also live traffic for $18.99 CAD. Of course the USD price will be lower.
    I hope those prices are yearly, and not monthly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    on the new phone. I have yet to buy a "smart" phone. I use a cheapo burner phone for mobile these days. Enjoy, and don't get to frustrated. Lots of help on SL though.
    I was right along with you with my flip phone from 4 years ago. Yesterday, we picked up two iPhone 8+'s, and two Samsung 8+'s, and now I have to spend my days being Smart.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I hope those prices are yearly, and not monthly.
    From their website;

7 Day Free TrialGenius Maps offers a free 7 day trial with fully-functional Pro Guidance and Live Traffic and can be activated at any time. Choose to upgrade to Pro Guidance and Live Traffic at any time during or after the trial or simply continue using the free professional-grade maps for planning routes and exploring with the pedestrian navigation at no cost.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I saw that also... and I downloaded the maps for the Continental U.S. and Canada.
    Oh! I also downloaded a flashlight app...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    ​I would suggest Google Maps for your navigation app. It is free and very accurate.
    And/or Navmii which doesn't require an internet connection. Maps are downloaded, the program runs offline with phones GPS. Worldwide MAPS available. I have used Navmii while in Europe without a hitch.

Always have a backup.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

He is correct here folks. Cell towers is what he is talking about. No cell tower nearby, no service. That is why most of us "in the old West" use GPS for Nav.

It operates off of Satellite which is always there regardless of position on the Planet, day or night, rain or snow. Your choice really depends on where you

live and where you want to ride.

​I-Mac Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

... Of the arrival of our 2018 RT-L 10th Anniversary model: I went out and got a Smart-Phone.

But the damn thing is WAYYYYyyyyy.... smarter than I'll ever be!

It's an LG G5 (Android based...)

Question: Can anyone advise me on how to install a Navigation App on this thing?
    (And which Nav App I should use?)

Okay: TWO questions!

I'm still figgerin'-out the whole picture thing...

Welcome to the 21'st Century Bob!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

He is correct here folks. Cell towers is what he is talking about. No cell tower nearby, no service. That is why most of us "in the old West" use GPS for Nav.

It operates off of Satellite which is always there regardless of position on the Planet, day or night, rain or snow. Your choice really depends on where you

live and where you want to ride.

​I-Mac Jack
    A smart phone uses gps satallites for navigation not cell towers. You may not be able to make a phone call because of no cell service, but the gps function will still work.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Google maps, Genius maps and I am not sure about Wase. Will work just fine without cell service. Maps can be pre downloaded. Since Genius Maps is the only gps map app compatible with the display so far. For it the maps for all of North America can be stored on your phone at once. Just the up to date traffic functions won't work. But when you are out in the sticks. You are are not really concerned about a traffic jam.
    Seems to me like I read that Google Maps will download a map, but the extent and size is limited so you have to have periodic cell reception to continue downloading the next segment. But I suppose I could be wrong. I haven't looked at Waze, really, but it's my understanding it's mostly aimed at real time traffic updates which requires full time cell connection. Many, if not most, other nav programs have options for real time updates for traffic conditions which require cell connection, but the core of the program operates offline. That's the case with Sygic which I use.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Seems to me like I read that Google Maps will download a map, but the extent and size is limited so you have to have periodic cell reception to continue downloading the next segment. But I suppose I could be wrong. I haven't looked at Waze, really, but it's my understanding it's mostly aimed at real time traffic updates which requires full time cell connection. Many, if not most, other nav programs have options for real time updates for traffic conditions which require cell connection, but the core of the program operates offline. That's the case with Sygic which I use.
    https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DAndroid&hl=en

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got a 200 GB micro-SD card coming...