Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I hope those prices are yearly, and not monthly.
    One time lifetime fee. I believe lifetime is device based.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've got a 200 GB micro-SD card coming...
    I have a 64 and it is not close to being full. But you can never have too much storage space. Buy as big as your wallet will allow.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default billybovine, question (cell phone) gps and data usage...

Like you mentioned in a previous post, the gps works off of satellites, and not cell towers. Now that I have a smart phone, how does data usage play into when using your cell phone as a gps? We have 5 phones on a contract with, I think, 6GB's total/month. I know the answer is probably simple; I'm just not seeing it. Thanks

Maybe I found the answer in an article I found. Is it because the phone is updating your position on whatever map/app you have?
    Last edited by wyliec; 12-03-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Like you mentioned in a previous post, the gps works off of satellites, and not cell towers. Now that I have a smart phone, how does data usage play into when using your cell phone as a gps? We have 5 phones on a contract with, I think, 6GB's total/month. I know the answer is probably simple; I'm just not seeing it. Thanks

Maybe I found the answer in an article I found. Is it because the phone is updating your position on whatever map/app you have?
    The gps signal from the satelites is one way only. The gps reciever chip in your device only recieves. The data it recieves is a free service provided by the US and other goverments around the world.

The data transfered between your phone and the cell tower is paid for through your plan with your provider.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The gps signal from the satellites is one way only. The gps receiver chip in your device only receives. The data it receives is a free service provided by the US and other governments around the world. The data transferred between your phone and the cell tower is paid for through your plan with your provider.
    I think he was asking what data would be used in this operation that he would be charged for on his cell phone plan. I'm wondering the same thing.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think he was asking what data would be used in this operation that he would be charged for on his cell phone plan. I'm wondering the same thing.
    Yes, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

This article isn't clear regarding data usage, and the gps function.
    http://smallbusiness.chron.com/gps-c...oid-65429.html

UP,

Here's a better article that explains the data usage charge for using the gps.

https://itstillworks.com/iphones-gps...ata-18643.html
    Last edited by wyliec; 12-03-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Anticipation

Bob , I rely on my service supplier a lot , mine happens to be Verizon and when I have a problem , I go to their out let store . They have been very helpful and answer a lot of my questions . meerkat

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Any app, or option in an app, that says 'real time' will use your cellular data connection for the real time updates for anything not based on satellite data. All static information like maps (including gas station locations, parking locations, speed camera locations, etc.) and such that need to be downloaded can be by wifi or cellular data and then are retrieved as needed from the data stored on your phone. Constant wifi access is not possible while you're traveling.

My Sygic navigation app operates offline and updates my position constantly from satellite data and shows it on the stored map. Sygic has these options available, Real Time Traffic, real-time information about gas prices, and Find parking with live info about 40 million parking spot prices and vacancies. These all require an active data connection since they are regularly updated and are not static.

This help?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Seems to me like I read that Google Maps will download a map, but the extent and size is limited so you have to have periodic cell reception to continue downloading the next segment. But I suppose I could be wrong. I haven't looked at Waze, really, but it's my understanding it's mostly aimed at real time traffic updates which requires full time cell connection. Many, if not most, other nav programs have options for real time updates for traffic conditions which require cell connection, but the core of the program operates offline. That's the case with Sygic which I use.
    ​All I know is when no cell tower reception "for a given" time the Nav function on my Apple 6+ quits and my GPS never quits. I have AT&T for our provider.

I navigated all over the world with no cell towers and no GPS with INS. Inertial Navigation System. This is a system that starts at any known

Latitude/Longitude on the planet and uses this position to navigate to another position on the planet. Litton built them. Prior to that we used the Doppler

system. It was not as accurate. Both these systems became obsolete once satellites were positioned to enable navigation world wide. Perhaps one day all

our phones will be able to navigate directly from GPS. Global Positioning System. This will happen when the next generation of navigation comes along and

the military no longer controls the satellites.

The good thing here is, I haven't gotten lost yet and if I had I would never admit it!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    ​All I know is when no cell tower reception "for a given" time the Nav function on my Apple 6+ quits and my GPS never quits.
    Does the Nav function on your iPhone use downloaded maps? If not then that's why it quits. Your GPS unit, and most, if not all, GPS apps other than Apple Nav and Google Street View depend on downloaded and stored maps. SV has the option to download and store maps for those times you're out of cell service. Either your iPhone Nav doesn't have that option, or you've never turned it on.

My Sygic GPS app uses downloaded and stored maps. If I haven't downloaded one for a particular state, and cross the state line into it, I see nothing for that state! I run Sygic on my Samsung 8" tablet. Nice big screen! When we were coming home from Illinois last spring I turned on Sygic while in the plane. It went bonkers when it couldn't find the road we supposedly were on!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jack...
    From now on: I'm following YOU!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Jack...
    From now on: I'm following YOU!

Do so at your own risk Bob! I have a reputation of leading some astray.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Im trying to figure out if I should buy a 2017 or 2018, if Bob is willing to learn how to use a cell phone because of his 2018 thats all the proof I need that the 2018 is worth it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    Im trying to figure out if I should buy a 2017 or 2018, if Bob is willing to learn how to use a cell phone because of his 2018 thats all the proof I need that the 2018 is worth it
    Don't forget the new dash that everyone is curious about.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red