Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RT left saddlebag lid reflector / light stopped working

A couple years ago at the Red Rock rally (before I was comfortable doing my own mods), I had a vendor install additional lighting at the rear, including replacing the saddlebag lid reflector with an LED light. Recently I noticed the one on the left had stopped working, so pulled apart the back end to get at the wiring.

What I was able to determine is that there is power up to this cylindrical device and no further. Can anyone tell me what it is (I'm guessing a capacitor or resistor), how important it is (can I bypass it safely?) and where to get a replacement, if necessary? Thanks.

Saddlebag light circuit.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I opened it up and there's a little circuit board in there...What's that for? This thing feeds right off the license plate lighting circuit, so why does the 12v feed need to be modified in some way?

Saddlebag light circuit-2.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whatever it is, Cindy of TricLED said it's her lights so she is sending a replacement. Awesome!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Pete,if you bought these from TricLED or Spyder Lyter Fred contact them and I’m sure they will send you a replacement

Ann
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you get the replacement be sure to secure it so it can’t flop around, that’s probably why it isn’t working.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Pete,if you bought these from TricLED or Spyder Lyter Fred contact them and I’m sure they will send you a replacement Ann
    Thanks Ann. I did and she will. I still don't understand what they are though.

Yes, I plan to secure the wiring a little better (and seal those cylinders with silicone)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My guess would be that this object is the driver for the LED. Despite public opinion, LED lights use a driver similar to the ballast on a fluorescent light. Also believe it or not, LED light even blink, however under normal circumstances, so quickly that the human eye does not notice it.

Remember seeing a fluorescent light flicker quickly, well if an LeD has a bad or mismatched driver the same will occur. Also many cheaper LED lights have a noticeable flicker that many but not all people will notice.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    My guess would be that this object is the driver for the LED. Despite public opinion, LED lights use a driver similar to the ballast on a fluorescent light. Also believe it or not, LED light even blink, however under normal circumstances, so quickly that the human eye does not notice it. Remember seeing a fluorescent light flicker quickly, well if an LeD has a bad or mismatched driver the same will occur. Also many cheaper LED lights have a noticeable flicker that many but not all people will notice. Joe
    Of course! You're right. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks Joe.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LED DRIVER ????

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    My guess would be that this object is the driver for the LED. Despite public opinion, LED lights use a driver similar to the ballast on a fluorescent light. Also believe it or not, LED light even blink, however under normal circumstances, so quickly that the human eye does not notice it.

Remember seeing a fluorescent light flicker quickly, well if an LeD has a bad or mismatched driver the same will occur. Also many cheaper LED lights have a noticeable flicker that many but not all people will notice.

Joe
    Joe my Spyder is lit like a Christmas tree . ...........None of them has a " DRIVER " in the circuit .......Mike