Spyder Garage

Default where are those leaking vacuum hoses?

2012 RT SE5. Guess I am blind. I cannot identify where the vacuum hoses are located. I know the general location but want to make sure I check the correct hoses. Does anyone have a good picture of the hoses you can share? I still have a bad/noisy shutter when first putting into 1st or Reverse. It goes away when warmed up. Thank you.
    2015 Spyder RT-S Special Edition. Two Brothers Racing exhaust.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One on the front and the other on the rear of the MAP sensor. You can see the rear hose in the picture. Click on thumbnail for bigger version. Left side of throttle body. The front one is a pain to get to. Need to cut both hoses the same length - 85mm - and silicon hose at 3mm ID works best.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

The air box hides the view of them if you are looking down at an angle. You will need to bend down and look right at the throttle body to see them.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Shutter

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    2012 RT SE5. Guess I am blind. I cannot identify where the vacuum hoses are located. I know the general location but want to make sure I check the correct hoses. Does anyone have a good picture of the hoses you can share? I still have a bad/noisy shutter when first putting into 1st or Reverse. It goes away when warmed up. Thank you.
    The shutter is the clutch chattering. Most do it until warmed up. don't worry just gas it quickly till warms up.

Spyder Garage

Take a look at the pics. They are the 2 hoses that look kinda tan in color. The original ones are much thicker though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default I'm late to the party....

Looks like they have it covered above. The only issue some had is there is a third hose with a larger diameter. You need the two hoses with the same diameter going to the throttle body....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone. The local dealer says it is the clutch. Not looking forward to $1000.00 bill. Thought I would try the hoses before taking it in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ronpoust View Post
    The shutter is the clutch chattering. Most do it until warmed up. don't worry just gas it quickly till warms up.
    My shutter is a heavy shake and loud enough to turn heads to see what is going on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good and helpful post for me too.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    2012 RT SE5..... .....I still have a bad/noisy shutter when first putting into 1st or Reverse. It goes away when warmed up. Thank you.
    That first gear selection clunk/shudder is pretty much mandatory on all the Spyder V-twins with a centrifugal clutch - the first selection of first &/or reverse each day/ride does it basically due to the design & way the clutch functions.... hey, the very first gear selection of the day/ride on ANY wet clutch machine is likely to do this to some degree - it's a well documented & basically harmless feature of the design & of moving parts engaging stationary parts!! And yes, it can be quite loud & many people will turn their heads in horror upon hearing it, but it's also NORMAL for these machines/engine/clutch designs!! So I'd be very carefully comparing YOUR Spyder & its noises to quite a few other SE5 Spyders of similar vintage before shelling out any $$ on getting a 'repair' done that will very likely still leave you with exactly the same clunk/shudder, or at best, likely only reduce the noise/clunk/shudder marginally, & possibly only until after your first cold start! Unless your clunk/shudder noise is making the bloke mowing his lawn a block away look up at the noise; or it's startling the birds outta the trees that're beyond the next paddock; or at the very least not unless it is significantly louder/more violent than that of every other SE5 Spyder you've heard, then I'd guess that your dealer is either reluctantly doing something to the clutch because you've insisted, or maybe he's just taking advantage of your unwarranted concern & making some money for jam... (Ps: I HAVE had a bloke mowing his lawn down the block come up to ask me what was wrong because of the clunk noise on my first gear selection of the day - it was a cold morning & the oil level was down a little bit, so the noise was a tad louder than normal.... but that was 25,000 or so miles ago; nothing wrong then, still nothing wrong now - the bike simply clunks/shudders loudly/solidly on the first gear selection of each day/ryde! )

Most of us who have this issue (read = virtually ALL SE5 Spyder Ryders!) see/hear/feel other SE5 Spyders exactly the same issue & concerns, & listen to the horror stories from those who've chucked significant $$ away in their fruitless attempts to 'fix' it before we decide to just live with it as one of the 'undocumented features' of ryding our SE5 Spyders - it doesn't seem to hurt anything or get any worse over time just so long as you use the right spec oil & top it up often! It might be a little less obvious if you let your Spyder warm up for longer after starting before first selecting a gear, or maybe if the ambient temp is reasonably high anyway, or possibly if your Spyder has been sitting in the sun for a while before starting, but it's pretty much always there to some degree & the only real 'damage' it seems to be doing is to the 'peace of mind' of those who let it do so! Sooo, unless it's noisy/violent way beyond anyone/everyone else's, then you'll likely do better to just ignore it, & over time as you get used to it, it will become a non-issue. However, these V-twins DO use some oil & the clunk/shudder from the SE5 on the first gear selection of each ryde WILL be worse if your oil level is low, if your oil is cold, &/or if you are using the wrong spec oil..... so check/remedy all those first if you can.

Then..... Ryde More, Worry Less!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-29-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!