Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Down - bolt/axle swing arm mount moved in frame!! Need BRP contact?

Need help on getting a phone number to someone at BRP that really cares not the customer care number. The problem is the bolt/axle at the front of the swing axle has wallowed out the frame mounting holes. Warranty says it's the owner problem, from over tightening the belt. I see the damage at the front of hole not the back, if belt had caused it should the ware be at the back side? Also if the belt was to tight I would have loss rear wheel bearings, 43000 Plus mile and rear bearings still good. This is a RTS SE6 2014.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramsail View Post
    Need help on getting a phone number to someone at BRP that really cares not the customer care number. The problem is the bolt/axle at the front of the swing axle has wallowed out the frame mounting holes. Warranty says it's the owner problem, from over tightening the belt. I see the damage at the front of hole not the back, if belt had caused it should the ware be at the back side? Also if the belt was to tight I would have loss rear wheel bearings, 43000 Plus mile and rear bearings still good. This is a RTS SE6 2014.
    Who do you mean "warranty says"? Have you worked with the dealer? Are you still under warranty?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Yes ,working with local dealer and brp said no to repair. Brp Customer Care also also said they can't do anything about warranty and you as a customer can not speak to warranty.

Spyder Garage

Yes ,working with local dealer and brp said no to repair. Brp Customer Care also also said they can't do anything about warranty and you as a customer can not speak to warranty.
    So you've had direct contact with customer care? What's the dealer doing, or trying to do? Something sounds fishy.

Can you post a photo so we can see the problem?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Have you yourself replaced any rear tires or adjusted the belt? It would seem to me that if the Spyder was serviced exclusively by a dealer and the frame swing arm bolt holes are worn due to excess belt tension, that's between BRP and the servicing dealer(s) and BRP should stand behind you as the owner. OTOH, if you've done your own tire replacement and belt tensioning that could be a gotcha.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Have you yourself replaced any rear tires or adjusted the belt? It would seem to me that if the Spyder was serviced exclusively by a dealer and the frame swing arm bolt holes are worn due to excess belt tension, that's between BRP and the servicing dealer(s) and BRP should stand behind you as the owner. OTOH, if you've done your own tire replacement and belt tensioning that could be a gotcha.
    If belt tension was really the cause I would think it would have caused the transmission shaft and bearings to go first, or the rear wheel bearings maybe. At least that is what history of Spyder failures leads me to think.

My first suspicion is someone at BRP is loathe to acknowledge this failure mode is even possible. It doesn't make sense in my mind.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

This is are third spyder a rss 2010 a 2012 rts and now a rts 2014 and have done all service and tire change on all units. Anyone how knows me knows how much I like my RTS and have bragged about it all over US in are travels. If I get no help from BRP it will be my last and I will be a just another unhappy BRP customer.
    output.jpg

Spyder Garage

This is are third spyder a rss 2010 a 2012 rts and now a rts 2014 and have done all service and tire change on all units. Anyone how knows me knows how much I like my RTS and have bragged about it all over US in are travels. If I get no help from BRP it will be my last and I will be a just another unhappy BRP customer.
    output.jpg
    Oh dear! That right there may be your problem. You have the Spyder apart in your own garage. Had the dealer disassembled it in his shop the story would probably be different. But I can't say for sure, of course.

How about a close up photo of the worn area? You've really got me wondering.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Curious

The swing arm has 4 bearings, 2 sleeves and two spacers. My understanding is that the bearing mounts are deformed...?? This is strange because most of the tight belt issues were the rear wheel and the output bearings. True in all cases they are wear items and not covered by warranty but BRP has helped out in the past. Did you get a case number..? if not you need the dealer to open a case that you can work with....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Do you know the fix alternatives?

Do you know what the fix alternatives are and the potential cost if not covered under warranty? You still might not be happy, but you would have a sense of the impact. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You could ask the dealer if they'd be willing to look for a repair under a "Special Accommodation" basis...
    If they value your business: they might have some pull with BRP, and be able to help you out.
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Who do you mean "warranty says"? Have you worked with the dealer? Are you still under warranty?
    Which warranty do you have and when does it expire? If it's not a B.E.S.T. warranty, then you can't expect BRP to honor it, right?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The dealership took it apart, and said swing arm mounts were the problem. I will go back tomorrow and take some measurements, also take some pictures. best warranty

Spyder Garage

If I get no help from BRP I will bring the basket case home and repair it right.

Spyder Garage

ingramsail, Just a curiosity kinda question, Did you tow a trailer with the '14 or buy it used? Could it have been rear ended and repaired before you bought it and the damage was from an impact to the rear tire/swing arm assembly? Maybe someone else could pitch in with any experience with that kind of failure/damage/wear when you post the pictures.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry and I'm not trying to be thick, (maybe I don't speak Texican good enough) but I'm not understanding your problem. Are you referring to the pivot bolt on the swing arm?
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Yes, it where the bolt mounts the swing to the frame. This is my 3rd spyder and it was new .

Spyder Garage

Something's not adding up. Here's a pic from the '14 RT service manual that shows how it's assembled.
    Swing arm mount.JPG
    A bolt goes into both ends of the axle where the #1 is pointing. There are two bearings on each arm with a spacer between them. The entire axle stack up should be clamped tight together by the bolts on each end. The swing arm rotates on the bearings. Therefore there can be no relative movement between the axle and the frame. See just below the #4. The parts diagram shows a sleeve around the spacer. See #91 below. I don't know what the purpose of it is. If, as you're saying, the hole in the frame is elongated then that means the axle had to be rotating inside the sleeve welded in the frame. That can only happen if the bearings at one end were frozen, or the sleeve #91 was frozen to the swing arm and axle, such that when the swing arm rotated it rotated the bearing.

Swing arm parts.jpg

The tension of the drive belt has zero to do with the relation of the axle to the frame. Make the dealer have BRP explain very clearly how the belt tension would cause the hole in the frame to be elongated if everything was assembled correctly. They cannot.

If the hole in the thin metal of the frame is elongated that means the entire assembly, including the sleeve through the frame, was rotating. That can happen only if the sleeve through the frame was not welded to the frame. That would be an obvious manufacturing defect. That's why I would like to see a picture of the problem. There's no way if everything was assembled properly at the factory that there can be an elongated hole in the frame.

I think BRP owes you a new frame. Hold onto this problem like a dog on a bone until BRP comes through. Make the dealer carry the battle for you.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Will BRP still says it my Problem, their engineers say it can only happen if the belt is to tight. I'm tired of not being able to call to anyone in warranty or engineering and. customer care at brp only has 2 words (I'm sorry). As of tomorrow I will paid for work the tec as done and pickup this basket case and repair it myself! This will be the last time I buy or brag about a BRP product, there are other fun ride out there.

Spyder Garage

Will BRP still says it my Problem, their engineers say it can only happen if the belt is to tight. I'm tired of not being able to call to anyone in warranty or engineering and. customer care at brp only has 2 words (I'm sorry). As of tomorrow I will paid for work the tec as done and pickup this basket case and repair it myself! This will be the last time I buy or brag about a BRP product, there are other fun ride out there.
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. It does sound like you have been left holding the bag. There is a lot of competition these days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Are you saying that you are sure you never over-tightened the belt after working on your bike?
    I guess that's one of the drawbacks to doing your own work; it puts the burden of proof on you if / when something goes wrong.
    UP, have you read reply 18? If so, what's your take on it's content?
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    UP, have you read reply 18? If so, what's your take on it's content?
    Thanks Freddy; somehow I missed that post. I'd say the content seems thorough and logical and deserves a response from BRP.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi ingramsail

We are sorry to hear that your Spyder experiences were not as expected. Please let us look into your situation and we will ensure that your story gets heard by the right people. Send an email outlining the unit history, serial number, and dealer name to brp.care@brp.com if you want to share any further details.

Thanks,

Aurélie - BRPcare
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

It looks like dealer was NOT communicating with BRP. This has happened many times in the past.

Give BRP a chance and then let us know what happens.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmm...

As our ole friend, Arty Johnson, said many times..."Very interesting."

I, for one, am going to keep a close eye on this subject.

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT