Thread: Shock Quandry

Spyder Garage

Default Shock Quandry

Hi folks,

I am looking for info on 3rd party shocks for my '08 Spyder.

After finding out that Elka wants them to come back to the factory for servicing every 6-12 months, I decided they were not for me. And only for that reason.

I then looked into Fox shocks. I contacted Fox Shox and they told me that they did not sell Fox shocks for Spyders and to contact my dealer. I then contacted my closest dealer and they said that they know nothing about Fox shocks for my Spyder. So I sent a message to BRP and they only responded with a generic email that they would be in touch within 24 hrs. After waiting 9 days, I called BRP. They said that they would not provide any info on non-factory parts for any Spyder.

So I tried Fox Shox once again and they had nothing in the way of info.

So what might be some options for 3rd party shocks?

Thanks for any info,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

219400403 is the part number for Fox shocks for the 11 & 12 RS. Anyone know if they will also fit the 08?

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

I have the fox podium shocks up front. I also ordered the kit once offered by BRP with the better swaybar and fox shocks for RS unfortunately they were for the 13 and up. Some models came with the fox shocks on them. Fox Racing Shox factory is about 10 min from my house. Could check with them.

Progressive used to make shocks for the early GS RS but not for the 12's on up. The pricey ones like Race Tec, Elkas do need servicing. We have seen others here a search may help. Don't know about Olin, Bilstien or the european brands....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Gene,

Re: Fox Racing Shox factory is about 10 min from my house. Could check with them.

That would be great. If you do, just get back to me on what they say.

Re: fox shocks for RS unfortunately they were for the 13 and up.

When I talked with Fox today, they said that they make them for the '12 & up. He said since they had not tested them on the '08, they could not offer them.

I got the idea that maybe Fox only has them for the fronts. Anyone know anything about that?

I could live with just the fronts; but I am in need of a rear shock soon.

Jerry Baumchen

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Hi Ann,

Re: 219400403 is the part number for Fox shocks for the 11 & 12 RS. Anyone know if they will also fit the 08?

Are those for the fronts?

And, Thank You,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I'll run that number by my dealer tomorrow.

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Ann,

Re: 219400403 is the part number for Fox shocks for the 11 & 12 RS. Anyone know if they will also fit the 08?

Are those for the fronts?

And, Thank You,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I'll run that number by my dealer tomorrow.
    I'm running RT shocks on the front of my 08 and stock on the rear. Like yourself will need a rear one before long. Got mine set on the highest number right now. I ride solo all the time.
    David

Spyder Garage

Hi David,

Re: RT shocks on the front of my 08

Would you happen to know what year(s) RT shocks will fit the '08?

That might be an option as I have read good things about the GS/RS with RT shocks.

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi David,

Re: RT shocks on the front of my 08

Would you happen to know what year(s) RT shocks will fit the '08?

That might be an option as I have read good things about the GS/RS with RT shocks.

Jerry Baumchen
    Any off 12 model and previous will work. We just need to figure out something for the rear that doesn't break the bank.
    David

Spyder Garage

Any 2008-2012 Spyder front shock will fit the RS/RSS. So Fox Shocks for these year models will fit the 08-12 RS/RSS Spyder. The 2011 & 2012 RT OEM front shocks are better than the very bad 2010 units.

I don't know why all of these entities are so hush-hush on this subject. They must know what will fit what. It's not all that difficult.

The RT rear shock will not interchange so you'll have to get a shock for the RS, RSS only.

Progressive used to make a really good front and rear shock for the RS. There may still be a few of them around. The fronts were 435 series and the rears were 465 series.

But it is not true that you have to service the Elkas often. Those service intervals are for racing applications. Not everyday riders. Realistically. You should not need to service an Elka unless damaged or leaking.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hi Ron,

Re: So Fox Shocks for these year models will fit the 08-12 RS/RSS Spyder.

I rather suspected this. Thanks for confirming. I might just go with the Fox shocks.

Re: The RT rear shock will not interchange so you'll have to get a shock for the RS, RSS only.

The rear shock, since it is a single point of contact suspension, i.e., not a spread suspension, really does nothing for the handling. It is the fronts that make it a more 'sporty' ride.

To everyone, thanks for the input,

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Go Fox

I installed the Fox shocks sold by BRP on my 2010 RT. They made a tremendous difference in the body roll in curves without making the ride harsh. I did find that I had to adjust them up after installation when I started scrubbing on speed bumps that had previously not been a problem. I really like the product and would buy them again.

Spyder Garage

Default Consider Wilbers?

Have you considered Wilber shocks? I don't know that they have something for you, but they seem to offer quite a variety. I put them a BMW R1200GS, and loved them. Ted Porter is a great information resource and Wilber dealer. His website is https://www.beemershop.com/. You may find Wilbers America (Ted) at www.wilbersamerica.com/.
    Don't be concerned that it's a Beemer shop as I've talked to Ted about Spyder shocks.

Good Luck.

Rob

2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Elka has repeatedly in this forum stated that the annual service is for racing shocks. NOT the ones sold for Spyders. The Elkas do not need to be removed and serviced until they wear out and leak. Then they are rebuildable.

Suggest reconsidering the Elkas. They really are great shocks.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for the clarification

Thank you, as this makes me reconsider Elkas myself.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Elka has repeatedly in this forum stated that the annual service is for racing shocks. NOT the ones sold for Spyders. The Elkas do not need to be removed and serviced until they wear out and leak. Then they are rebuildable.

Suggest reconsidering the Elkas. They really are great shocks.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.