Spyder Garage

Default Dealer says non-OEM rear tire will not work

I have a 2012 RS with about 14,400 miles on the tires. It's time to replace the rear tire, so I purchased a 215/60R15 per recommendations found on spyderlovers.
    I just received a call from the dealer, who said the tire won't work because "it will throw off all kinds of sensors," such as speed and traction control.

Really? Thoughts?
    Last edited by RiverCity45; 11-25-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCity45 View Post
    I have a 2012 RS with about 14,400 miles on the tires. It's time to replace the rear tire, so I purchased a 215/60R15 per recommendations found on spyderlovers. I just received a call from the dealer, who said the tire won't work because "it will throw off all kinds of sensors." Really? Thoughts?
    He's just trying to cover his butt. The tire itself won't throw off the sensors, but the mounting and dis-mounting process could, if not done properly. Even then, the trouble lights are easily cleared. I replaced the rear tire with non-OEM on both my bikes recently with no problems.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had no sensor issues with my 2012 RTL or 2016 F3L with 215/60/15 rear tires. So this is bunk.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Really....😲

That's a bunch of hogwash....you may have to go elsewhere to have it done. Mike (BLUEKNIGHT911) stated you have to put spacers on the rear fender on some tires to add clearance but they work fine. He used some PVC others used washers...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default NON-KENDA

I'M ON MY 6th NON-KENDA (NON-OEM) REAR TIRE, AND I'VE YET TO HAVE AN ISSUE.....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 11-25-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default HEAR YA RON

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I HEAR YA RON.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WON'T FIT

I have a 2012 RS with about 14,400 miles on the tires. It's time to replace the rear tire, so I purchased a 215/60R15 per recommendations found on spyderlovers.
    I just received a call from the dealer, who said the tire won't work because "it will throw off all kinds of sensors," such as speed and traction control.

Really? Thoughts?
    ... with the others ...the BS meter is off the scale ..... I would be really concerned about the dealer you are using .... If they lie on something this small , just imagine when something BIG occurs ....There are Video's on how to DIY the rear wheel .... and almost every tire changing place can switch your old tire for the new one, they probably won't be able to balance it, but I haven't balanced my last 4 , and they work fine ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... with the others ...the BS meter is off the scale ..... I would be really concerned about the dealer you are using .... If they lie on something this small , just imagine when something BIG occurs ....There are Video's on how to DIY the rear wheel .... and almost every tire changing place can switch your old tire for the new one, they probably won't be able to balance it, but I haven't balanced my last 4 , and they work fine ......... Mike
    They could be lying. Or, they may simply be ignorant. But either way. Not a good showing for the dealership. They are supposed to be the 'Experts'.

You can run into this BS issue on a lot of subjects. Including oil, filters, suspension components, etc. Pretty much any service or aftermarket item is fair game to some dealerships.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-25-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Tell him " the dealer " to come and check out the Michelin tire on mine
    been there for 8500 miles still looks near new.

Really? Thoughts?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In many instances the term "Dealer" is a misused word, however with good intentions. I'm guilty of it myself. Not saying its misused in this case, but just to use caution. Often times the dealers (owners) are referenced when actually it is an employee representing the owner, who is to blame. This happens all too often in many businesses. For whatever reason uninformed/unskilled/untrained salespersons, parts employees, service managers and mechanics will impart misinformation onto customers both knowingly and unknowingly. The short of the long is to trust but verify. Personal knowledge here; a young service manager recently promoted, who thinks he knows it all and sticks to his misinformation even when he's been proven incorrect in black and white. On top of that, the certified BRP spyder tech confirmed the young service manage was incorrect. And the worst part of it is the service manager lacks the skill to convince the warrantee holder that a repair should be a covered item. It happens all too often.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    In many instances the term "Dealer" is a misused word, however with good intentions. I'm guilty of it myself. Not saying its misused in this case, but just to use caution. Often times the dealers (owners) are referenced when actually it is an employee representing the owner, who is to blame. This happens all too often in many businesses. For whatever reason uninformed/unskilled/untrained salespersons, parts employees, service managers and mechanics will impart misinformation onto customers both knowingly and unknowingly. The short of the long is to trust but verify. Personal knowledge here; a young service manager recently promoted, who thinks he knows it all and sticks to his misinformation even when he's been proven incorrect in black and white. On top of that, the certified BRP spyder tech confirmed the young service manage was incorrect. And the worst part of it is the service manager lacks the skill to convince the warrantee holder that a repair should be a covered item. It happens all too often.
    Dealer/dealership/technician. What's the actual difference? It's all the same place and from whence I am receiving the information. I get that the owner isn't the one I'm speaking to, buy one of his/her representatives in the form of a service manager who got the information from the service technician. Does anyone actually mistakenly believe when the word dealer/dealership is used, one is speaking about the person who actually owns the company?
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Spyder Garage

Hi Ron,

Re: Not a good showing for the dealership.

Hey, BRP; are you listening?

I thought not,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Last week I received an email from BRP that said they would respond within 24 hours. That was on the 18th. Hmmmmmmmmmm!
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

It appears that you have one of "those" dealers. Welcome to the club. Tell you anything to avoid your buying the tire of "your" choice.

I have given up fighting the system. There could be bigger battles ahead, so I don't want to burn any bridges.

However, I can ride two wheels again.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The "Moss-Magnuson Act" PROHIBITS dealers from REQUIRING consumers use specific propriety brand products. IE; a specific BRAND of oil, spark plug, tire, etc. Lots of dealers apparently are big into intimidation and probably encouraged by mother BRP but it is not a requirement that you use "their" tire to maintain warranty. Maybe BRP thinks they are exempt because they at a Canadian Company but I don't think they are. I would NEVER go back to using Kenda tires and NEVER recommend them to anyone. Especially when a much superior tire is half the price.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

I normally get through 2 or 3 rear tires a year, I've only had one Kenda on the rear, that was the one that came with the Spyder. Never had an issue with sensors etc. Every tire I've fitted has performed better than the Kenda for both grip and wear.

I do have a new Kenda sitting in my Garage but never bothered getting it fitted - I'll probably put it on if I ever trade in the RS. After all what goes around, comes around:-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's amazing that the dealerships still try to sell this line of Bull*****...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black