Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post Throttle Problem

I have a 2012 Spyder RT. Don't drive it very much (I'm told I don't drive it enough), and have only 11200 miles on it. Most of those miles are local. Been out on the interstate highway several times, in 200 or miles at a time, a couple of years ago, but not long drives lately. Went to Walmart the other night. When I got ready to leave, the Spyder started okay, but would only idle at 1100 rpm in stead of the normal 1400 rpm. When I tried to give it throttle, it would not respond. I turned the key off and waited several minutes (several time), but still, could not get the throttle to respond. As it was Tuesday night, the local CAN-AM dealer was closed, so I had it trucked to my house. Was able to get a code this morning - P-1614 (Throttle idle position failure on throttle release). Has anybody had this problem? Is there anything I can do? Can it be reset, or will the dealer charge me an arm and a leg to solve the problem? Have any idea how much you think the dealer will charge me? I'd appreciate any suggestions/opinions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

P1614 is pretty common on the Vtwin.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking

I believe yours still has the cable operated throttle. You could pull some panels and check to see that the mechanism is working and the sensor is hooked up. If the return is not functioning this issue will come up. If not you are doomed to a dealer visit and hopefully just a minor part failure...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I believe yours still has the cable operated throttle. You could pull some panels and check to see that the mechanism is working and the sensor is hooked up. If the return is not functioning this issue will come up. If not you are doomed to a dealer visit and hopefully just a minor part failure...
    2012 rt is tbw.

Spyder Garage

Default have you found it

it has been a few months , have you fixed , or found the problem ? ( being you are in texas , any where is a long ride if I remember right ? )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    No RT's are throttle by cable. No matter the year. Only GS/RS models from 2008 to 2012 are.

The OP needs to go to the dealer and he must follow the service bulletins for this issue and follow the instruction for repair that apply to the actual part number of the throttle body that he has. So the possible repair options are clean, recalibrate or replace.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    P1614 is pretty common on the Vtwin.
    Thank you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    No RT's are throttle by cable. No matter the year. Only GS/RS models from 2008 to 2012 are.

The OP needs to go to the dealer and he must follow the service bulletins for this issue and follow the instruction for repair that apply to the actual part number of the throttle body that he has. So the possible repair options are clean, recalibrate or replace.
    Thank you very much for the info. Will have to take it to the dealer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    it has been a few months , have you fixed , or found the problem ? ( being you are in texas , any where is a long ride if I remember right ? )
    Thank you. Yes, in Texas anywhere is a long ride. The problem is, I have had this $30,000 bike for 5 year and I have been afraid to ride it "out of town" for fear it will get a "glitch" and there is nobody for miles that can work on it. That's why I only have 11,000 miles on it! This latest problem occurred when I went to Walmart the other night. Luckily I was only 2.5 miles from home. Had it trucked home, and now I will have to have it trucked to the dealer. It's sad, but I have been unhappy with my Spyder for 5 years. Guess it's time to put it up for sale, anybody want to buy a "slightly used" 2012 RT?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

Thank you very much.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry Throttle Problem

Quote Originally Posted by tonynorwood View Post
    Thank you very much for the info. Will have to take it to the dealer.
    Just got it out of the shop for code - P1614 - Dealer repair order states: Fault is caused by throttle body sticking. TST 27826 states with the ECM software installed throttle body can be cleaned instead of replaced. To clean the throttle body cost me $438.00.

I guess they are right when they say, if you can't afford to pay the maintenance, you can't afford the CAN-AM! So disappointed with the cost to maintain my CAN-AM (first and only bike).