Spyder Garage

Default Another Rear Shock Question

When i try to adjust the rear shock on my 2012 RT LTD, using the dash button, I no longer get the bars on the display. Instead, the whole graph is orange withe a message saying "Manual Adjust" It has worked before, then experienced the same error and then started working again for about a month. Today I've got the error. ANY help or ideas would be great.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 41canine View Post
    When i try to adjust the rear shock on my 2012 RT LTD, using the dash button, I no longer get the bars on the display. Instead, the whole graph is orange withe a message saying "Manual Adjust" It has worked before, then experienced the same error and then started working again for about a month. Today I've got the error. ANY help or ideas would be great.
    Air compressor has probably seized up.

Spyder Garage

Check that the air bag has & can still hold air, by putting some in via the Schraeder Valve under the seat - only put 20-30 psi in there & only use a quick shot of shop air, cos it's a tiny bag & the air will go in pdq! The max pressure for the bag is 90 psi, but if it develops a leak & empties then the compressor can overheat & die thru running all the time while trying to keep the bag topped up once the pressure gets low; or sometimes the valving will jag in & dump all the airtr then pull that 'manual' trick just cos the pressure IS low, in which case a little air pressure in there might let it all work properly once more! Mine's done that a couple of times, only to work properly again once there was starting pressure in the empty air bag! But it's also scored a leak fm a small tone stuck under the very bottom of the bag which killed the compressor, requiring its replacement, fixed the air bag by adding about 5mls of Slime to the bag, & it's worked fine ever since. Nb, if you need to replace the compressor, DO NOT get a BRP replacement or you'll end up needing to replace it again; instead, fit an a/mkt replacement, much more robust, cheaper, and continuous rated, so you'll never over-heat it AND you can use it to inflate your tyres too, all it takes is a T & a valve/outlet.... The VIAIR unit is one of the better replacement compressors.

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default makes one head hurt !

all the things that can go wrong with these cycles , electrical , pumps , tires , windshields , handlebars , gears , motors , shocks, pumps , fronks, trunks, fuses, wiring , battery , transmission , exhaust , riders { hahaha throw that one in! } these are still pretty dang fun to ride ... knock on the front door , that only problem I have had was the clutch plunger assembly , and a broken headlight adjustment cable ! { 2012 r-t }

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Air Shock

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Check that the air bag has & can still hold air, by putting some in via the Schraeder Valve under the seat - only put 20-30 psi in there & only use a quick shot of shop air, cos it's a tiny bag & the air will go in pdq! The max pressure for the bag is 90 psi, but if it develops a leak & empties then the compressor can overheat & die thru running all the time while trying to keep the bag topped up once the pressure gets low; or sometimes the valving will jag in & dump all the airtr then pull that 'manual' trick just cos the pressure IS low, in which case a little air pressure in there might let it all work properly once more! Mine's done that a couple of times, only to work properly again once there was starting pressure in the empty air bag! But it's also scored a leak fm a small tone stuck under the very bottom of the bag which killed the compressor, requiring its replacement, fixed the air bag by adding about 5mls of Slime to the bag, & it's worked fine ever since. Nb, if you need to replace the compressor, DO NOT get a BRP replacement or you'll end up needing to replace it again; instead, fit an a/mkt replacement, much more robust, cheaper, and continuous rated, so you'll never over-heat it AND you can use it to inflate your tyres too, all it takes is a T & a valve/outlet.... The VIAIR unit is one of the better replacement compressors.

Good Luck!
    Thank you for the info. I appreciate your input. There was no air in the bag. I pumped it up to 40 psi and the backend raised right up. I'll check it tomorrow morning to see if it holds air. The dash info bar worked correctly once there was air in it.
    I did notice, the last time my wife was on it, the compressor would run on and off intermittently.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Rear Air Shock

Quote Originally Posted by 41canine View Post
    Thank you for the info. I appreciate your input. There was no air in the bag. I pumped it up to 40 psi and the backend raised right up. I'll check it tomorrow morning to see if it holds air. The dash info bar worked correctly once there was air in it.
    I did notice, the last time my wife was on it, the compressor would run on and off intermittently.

Nope! The air bag dropped 20 psi overnight.......

Spyder Garage

If you haven't had the Spyder running in between the 40psi & 20psi lower checks (you effectively hafta ryde the Spyder to allow the valving to operate) then it is gonna be a leak. If you can't see one on inspection, then maybe try something like Tire Slime to seal any tiny leaks, but the problem/leak is likely to be caused by small stones or grit collecting under the bottom of the air bag & then grinding away on the rubber! To get rid of that stuff, jack the bike up so the suspension is hanging & then use compressed air to blow out any debris or sharp bits from under the air bag (where it sits on the swing arm)

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!