Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmin Goooooone

I have finally found the perfect solution for my GPS, phone, music and FOBO communications.

The major catalyst for this was that every time I would upgrade the Garmin, I would start getting screeching static through the Uclear headset on both music and gps instructions.... bloody annoying, and Garmin kept promising a fix that never came. Sometimes, deleting and recreating all the pairings would solve the issue, and sometimes not......plus, I dislike boom mikes with a passion. There were several other reasons for the change but they were just minor annoyances

I am now using the Uclear Pro headset (no boom mike), iPhone 8 (running the Tom Tom GPS app that I bought for a song, years ago) where the Garmin 590 was, and new Lee Parks gloves with built in finger pads. It’s taken the “weak link” (the Garmin 590) out of the loop, reducing the number of bluetoothed items.

The iPhone is waterproof (IP67), brilliantly clear in sunlight and handles the interface between GPS, phone, music, KOBO and Uclear seamlessly. The Uclear Pro has great sound quality, and the above brow microphones are very clear at the other end of a phone call (not that I make calls when riding).

The Lee Parks (only gloves I wear these days) are unbelievably comfortable and you don’t have to remove them to make the single tap to change the size of the GPS display on the iPhone. GPS Map and software updates are done seamlessly on the iPhone, unlike the Garmin map, software and firmware updates that requires PC plug in and that I can NEVER get to work first go.

I’ll leave the powered Garmin base plate where it was for the next owner, as the iPhone on a mount fits nicely over it.

Not earth shattering news, I know, and nowhere near as controversial as car tyre pressures, but someone may get some use out of it.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 11-20-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Sounds like it works for you!

Now, I just wonder if there's anything similar that doesn't require an iPhone or any other apple rubbish?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Which TomTom gps app are you using? can you design your own routes with it?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Ill be getting my first hearing aid soon. I can get anything bluetooth on them. Waiting on how it works out on the Spyder. Plus Ill be able to hear better on top of that!
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Ill be getting my first hearing aid soon. I can get anything bluetooth on them. Waiting on how it works out on the Spyder. Plus Ill be able to hear better on top of that!
    When you figure it out, let us all know! I have BT hearing aids also, but trying to sync with all that other stuff has driven me to drink (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Sounds like it works for you!

Now, I just wonder if there's anything similar that doesn't require an iPhone or any other apple rubbish?

Hahaha..... I think Tom Tom Go for Android would do the trick, Peter......and you wouldn’t need the schmick gloves.....although I’d still use Lee Parks.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Which TomTom gps app are you using? can you design your own routes with it?
    It’s Tom Tom Go, AY. As for routes, you can certainly design a route with multiple stops and locations in it. You MAY be able to do more, but that’s all I even need out of it.

I also have the NAVIGON (Garmin) Cruise app, especially for motorbikes, which has larger buttons, the ability to select winding roads etc and a feature where you can verbally talk to it (through the Apple servers, like Siri) to perform functions. I haven’t tried it yet though

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin Gone

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    When you figure it out, let us all know! I have BT hearing aids also, but trying to sync with all that other stuff has driven me to drink (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).
    You don't wear your hearing aides when you ride do you????
    Last edited by IGETAROUND; 11-19-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin Gone

You don't wear your hearing aides when you ride do you????
    Last edited by IGETAROUND; 11-19-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Sounds great

Sounds like a great solution. Well done.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The problem I have in the Southwest US is if I have my phone out in the sunlight it overheats and shuts down.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    The problem I have in the Southwest US is if I have my phone out in the sunlight it overheats and shuts down.
    Yeah, that’s going to be my only concern, Highwayman. We get pretty warm days out here too. The iPhone 7 is supposed to be more heat tolerant than past models, but only time will tell.
    We are coming into summer now, so I’ll keep you posted (but not for a couple of months.....hip replacement on Thursday). What model phone are you using?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, that’s going to be my only concern, Highwayman. We get pretty warm days out here too. The iPhone 7 is supposed to be more heat tolerant than past models, but only time will tell.
    We are coming into summer now, so I’ll keep you posted (but not for a couple of months.....hip replacement on Thursday). What model phone are you using?

Pete
    Mend quickly with your hip replacement. You may be in luck if it's the L hip, and you have a semi-auto, and no hip precautions, and WBAT or FWB. Good luck.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pete
    Iphone 6 plus.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default The best to you in recovery

The best to you in recovery!
    Rob

hip replacement on Thursday).

Pete
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Pete
    Hey Pete I hope all went well with your hip replacement.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Hey Pete I hope all went well with your hip replacement.
    Thanks Paul....bloody English.......I meant hip replacement this coming Thursday, not last Thursday.........

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Here's hoping it all goes well Pete!

But I gotta ask, did you plan it so you'd be restricted to staying inside during all the worst of the summer heat, or is it just one of those 'do it now or start checking out wheelchairs' things??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Paul....bloody English.......I meant hip replacement this coming Thursday, not last Thursday.........

Pete
    Well here in the US we are all taking the day off and having a big feast in honor of your surgery and its coming successful conclusion.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Well here in the US we are all taking the day off and having a big feast in honor of your surgery and its coming successful conclusion.
    Yep, that's a great way to look at it!

Looks like you'll even get an annual 'successful operation' celebration Pete!! Something to give thanks for!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

That doesn’t surprise me, Paul. Aussies are held in very high regard by The Donald, as evidenced by him NEARLY getting our Prime Ministers name right when he first met him. Have a great Thanksgiving (I couldn’t find a turkey, so a spider will have to do )

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Here's hoping it all goes well Pete!

But I gotta ask, did you plan it so you'd be restricted to staying inside during all the worst of the summer heat, or is it just one of those 'do it now or start checking out wheelchairs' things??
    It’s option 2, Peter.......and I’ve already found this -
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_Yd76MnLU

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Smile

My wife has them, she gets a call and i wonder who she is talking to.

Spyder Garage

I do the same with my iPhone, Its a great device for bringing all of this together.........Navigation, Music, communications connected to my Sena helmets..... perfect
    2015 RTS
    Replaced Catalytic Converter with Lamonster Pipe

Rivco Flag Holders
    Tricled wideview mirrors
    Garage door opener
    Zumo GPS
    Ultimate seat
    F4 windshield with vent
    Doc's belt damper
    Value Accessories RAM mount
    Baja Ron sway bar and Links

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado View Post
    I do the same with my iPhone, Its a great device for bringing all of this together.........Navigation, Music, communications connected to my Sena helmets..... perfect
    Do you have any trouble with heat shutting your iPhone down, El Dorado? What model of iPhone are you using?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.