Spyder Garage

Default Looks like we all bought the wrong thing

Well, according to Cycle World and Ural, that is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whatever drugs you're taking: I want some!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

A lot of us have a "secret" desire to have a sidecar rig. The Ural has always been a contender there. They are starting to spiff up the model a bit. New colors, two wheel drive on the rears, etc. They do not cost am arm and a leg either. I believe about $14K will buy the top of the line.

The fine print--they ride a bit rough. Expected--they were not meant for the touring elite. Sidecar handling is a whole different ballgame. One side bottoms out and the other side will get airborne--depending on which way you are turning. Also the steering is affected--will it pull to one side or other? Again, depending on the direction of your throttle--up or down. They are also not good for higher speeds. They like 60 mph or less.

Like the Spyder, there is a learning curve. Once you get it figured out--it will become "natural."

They do come with the most complete tool kit in the industry. There are a couple around here. Both driven by old guys with beards. The word "hippie" comes to mind.

I do not hesitate to check them out when I encounter them in the parking lot. Secret desire yes, buy one, not now anyway.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-19-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had a Ural (2011) and it was the most fun non-automobile ride I ever had.
    Mine was one wheel drive (I think less than 25% are one wheel drive).
    Top speed 65, cruise 55. The post 2014 are 5-10 mph faster.
    Very easy to work on which is a good thing because you do it often.
    Oil changes are at 2500 km., that's right km not miles.
    Since 2014 they've had fuel injection.
    They do handle differently than anything else. Flying the chair (raising the sidecar off the ground) is fun.
    Accelerate and the sidecar drags so it pulls right. Decelerate and the sidecar freewheels faster than the bike so it pulls left. You get used to it in a few miles.
    Never had a problem with mine in 10,000 miles.
    Just couldn't get used to 55 all the time along with snail acceleration.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    Well, according to Cycle World and Ural, that is.
    Russians define 'fun' differently than we do, I think. This thing is perfectly suited for their road system.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

We have a couple of Urals in our riding group. The wag who organises weekend rides always sends a special email to them a week earlier than everyone else to “give them the chance to get to the departure point on time”. They go places we can only dream about......and come back without a DESS error or LIMP mode in sight

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

According to my parents I was conceived in the sidecar of a Panther outfit parked out the back of a pub in Ireland. As my dad puts it they'd "Had one too many pints of Guinness and threw precautions to the wind". So Cycle World could be right;-)
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 11-18-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

We had a Kawasaki Concours /Hannigan sidecar rig before the spiders. I learned enough to retrain my brain and that made the switch to the Spyder painless.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

They have been around forever but are in a class of their own.. wonder what Ann and Joe charge for laser alignment on one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I think you folks missed my point in posting. See what it says? "The most fun you can have on three wheels".
    I don't know about you guys, but to me, the Spyder would be pretty hard to beat in the fun on three wheels contest. Then again, I've never rode a Ural.
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    I think you folks missed my point in posting. See what it says? "The most fun you can have on three wheels".
    I don't know about you guys, but to me, the Spyder would be pretty hard to beat in the fun on three wheels contest. Then again, I've never rode a Ural.
    Nope, I don’t think most of us missed your point, SpyderSkeets. You really DO need to ride one before dismissing their significant “fun” levels. Urals are a LOT of fun on 3 wheels and can ford streams, travel very rough dirt tracks and do all sorts of fun things that the Spyder can’t . Horses for courses . Mind you, being passed by pushbike riders while on the freeway is a bit embarrassing

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

When I was considering moving to three wheels (bad knee), the Ural was at the top of my list. I was tired of BMW's complexity and uber-expensive maintenance. Yes, they run for long distances and can rack up incredibly high mileage, but when they break, ... be ready to take out a small loan! That, and their very thin dealer network eventually soured me on the marque.

I read a lot about Urals. Yes, they need more frequent maintenance (checking for loose fittings, etc.), but the bike itself is stupid simple to work on (kinda like BMW airheads used to be). If you can work on a lawn mower engine, you can work on a Ural. In about 2002, the Ural work force bought out the company and went on a quality improvement kick, with great success. They started using Japanese electrics and carburetors; the handlebar controls came from Italy; the gears are Swiss or German. They now have disk brakes.

Yes, they are quirky, but their relatively small ridership is fiercely loyal. That counts, in my mind.

My wife surprised me by recommending the Spyder; she didn't see the sense of a sidecar rig. I had seen a Spyder at a dealer and thought them rather odd. And the dealer admitted they were hard to work on (shades of BMW again?). And not cheap -- easily twice the cost of a Ural.

Then the 2014 RT hit the market and got rave reviews; reliability was way up. So I got an RT-S. And shortly thereafter, one of the local bike dealers added Spyders to their floor.

And if the Spyder gets too expensive to keep running, there's a Ural dealer up-state.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    According to my parents I was conceived in the sidecar of a Panther outfit parked out the back of a pub in Ireland. As my dad puts it they'd "Had one too many pints of Guinness and threw precautions to the wind". So Cycle World could be right;-)
    I have a question: Does this mean that you're allowed to possess multiple Passports from differing Countries?
    Guinness: the language of love!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Urals are stupid fun! :)

I was traumatized by a Ural.

We were gathered around a campfire, having beers and swapping the day's ride stories one time. Out in the inky darkness, a motorcycle started up. Putt putt putt... a lone headlight came bouncing across the pasture. As it got closer, we could hear Wagner's "ride of the valkyries" blaring out. Suddenly, Nerf bullets came whizzing around our heads! Wisssshh... boink, boink. The foam bullets bounced off our heads and bodies. In the beer hazed confusion we hear maniacal laughter coming from the sidecar; the two shadowy figures retreating into the night from whence they came.

We got even, though. We made him give us monkey rides around the field all evening.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default derivation

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    When I was considering moving to three wheels (bad knee), the Ural was at the top of my list. I was tired of BMW's complexity and uber-expensive maintenance. Yes, they run for long distances and can rack up incredibly high mileage, but when they break, ... be ready to take out a small loan! That, and their very thin dealer network eventually soured me on the marque.

I read a lot about Urals. Yes, they need more frequent maintenance (checking for loose fittings, etc.), but the bike itself is stupid simple to work on (kinda like BMW airheads used to be). If you can work on a lawn mower engine, you can work on a Ural. In about 2002, the Ural work force bought out the company and went on a quality improvement kick, with great success. They started using Japanese electrics and carburetors; the handlebar controls came from Italy; the gears are Swiss or German. They now have disk brakes.

Yes, they are quirky, but their relatively small ridership is fiercely loyal. That counts, in my mind.

My wife surprised me by recommending the Spyder; she didn't see the sense of a sidecar rig. I had seen a Spyder at a dealer and thought them rather odd. And the dealer admitted they were hard to work on (shades of BMW again?). And not cheap -- easily twice the cost of a Ural.

Then the 2014 RT hit the market and got rave reviews; reliability was way up. So I got an RT-S. And shortly thereafter, one of the local bike dealers added Spyders to their floor.

And if the Spyder gets too expensive to keep running, there's a Ural dealer up-state.
    Aren't Urals basically WWII era BMW R75s? From the photos I have seen, they look like the Russians just looted the BMW tooling and started producing them in 1945 without the blackout light and machine gun mount.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    Aren't Urals basically WWII era BMW R75s? From the photos I have seen, they look like the Russians just looted the BMW tooling and started producing them in 1945 without the blackout light and machine gun mount.
    Sorta/kinda. Back before WW2, when the Nazis and Rooskies were buddies, the Germans gave the Soviets the blueprints for their R75 sidecar rigs. During the war, the Soviets produced them by the crapload, essentially using them the way we used Jeeps; i.e., a small utility vehicle. After the war, they kept producing them, with some minor upgrades as technology got better (but not much). They also produced some for their domestic market, as there weren't a lot of options for Soviet citizens to buy cars.

Throughout the Cold War, Urals continued to see military duty within Warsaw Pact countries. Here's a video showing some rigs with machine guns, and even an anti-tank rocket launcher: .

The current Urals still look and function much like a BMW airhead (part of their charm and central to their simplicity), but their build quality nowadays is way ahead of their past reputation as a "Russian POS." I read one review a few years back that compared current Ural reliability to Hondas of the '80s .... which actually isn't that bad a compliment.

The really funny thing is, after WW2 when the Soviets were bestest buddies with the Chicoms, they gave all their old Ural tooling to them, and the Chinese subsequently built their own BMW-cum-Ural knockoffs, which are known as Chang Jiang. They kept the old tech flavor going for many years (i.e., very little improvement), but their build quality is even worse than the Russians'. Still, if you like fiddling with your machine, and can live with only 22 HP and a 45 MPH top speed, they too have their adherents.

Spyder Garage

I have one and it's a blast to ride. I like riding it in the winter while it's snowing. People think you're crazy
    IMG_0436.jpg
    I have a Dnepr and a Chang Jiang too.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I have a question: Does this mean that you're allowed to possess multiple Passports from differing Countries?
    Guinness: the language of love!
    Already have two passports, any more would just be greedy:-)

On the Guinness front, my mum was also advised by the midwife to drink a bottle of Guinness a day through her pregnancy - advice has a changed a little bit since then:-)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No wonder they're so good. They're put together with Bondo! See it at 1:40 in this factory video.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)