Spyder Garage

Default Axel nut size on RTL

I need to know the size of the axel nut on a 2014 RTL. I am about to do a belt adjustment and want to make sure I have the right size socket to torque it when done. Thanks.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default 36mm

That would be a 36 mm socket----- same as used to change the oil filter on the 1330 motor. Let us know how the belt adjustment turns out.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure....

All the ones I have run across are 36mm and I don't think they changed them but the F3 I do not know anything about it....Funny part is the parts catalog shows them all to be M24.... My RS 2012 is 36 mm
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    All the ones I have run across are 36mm and I don't think they changed them but the F3 I do not know anything about it....Funny part is the parts catalog shows them all to be M24.... My RS 2012 is 36 mm
    You know this already but the M24 is referring to the diameter of the axle and threads, so the wrench size for the nut is naturally the larger 36mm.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the exhaust side I like to use this wrench as a backup. Just don't tell the Harley riders.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    On the exhaust side I like to use this wrench as a backup. Just don't tell the Harley riders.....

Great tip Doc. I just jumped onto Amazon and got one of these ordered. It will make this job that much easier. Thanks!
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

That wrench would have been a BIG help. Since there is not enough room on the nut side to get a socket and torque wrench on, I checked the torque on the bolt side and came up with 130 ft/lbs. That's the way it came out and that's the way it went back together. This was my first time doing the belt adjustment myself. It was a bit more of a PITA that I anticipated. Next time will be much easier. My belt tension is now at 150# with wheel off the ground and there is about a 1mm gap between the rear sprocket inner flange and the edge of the belt. The dealer that installed my rear tire had the belt tension at 200# wheel off and the belt was centered on the rear sprocket.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I need to know the size of the axel nut on a 2014 RTL. I am about to do a belt adjustment and want to make sure I have the right size socket to torque it when done. Thanks.....
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VW-Bug-Type-...72.m2749.l2649

This wrench is Very helpful! Just need to recalculate the torque needed.
    p.jpg
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

An inch and 7/16 wrench will work in a pinch. That is what I use. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Damn, that's a great tool! Sure beats the p*** out of a short 36mm socket and 18" long breaker bar. Got one in my shopping cart!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Me too

I have that wrench also. But to be able to torque the nut like you're supposed to I cut down a 36mm six point socket in my chop saw so I can get my torque wrench on the exhaust side. I use the "Harley Wrench" on the other side. I like the "VW Wrench", better to insult a stoner than a Hell's Angel.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post

p.jpg
    If you keep the adapter at 90 degrees to the torque wrench, the torque is the same.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I ordered the VW type also. I did manage to get the job done without loosing any blood. But this wrench will make future life a lot easier. Ownership is a never ending learning process
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Has anybody ever checked to see if the torque was off if it was done on the bolt side? I torque a lot of stuff and it shouldn't matter. And evidently it doesn't effect the bearings. Our '14 RT has 48,000 miles with the original bearings and has been torqued on the bolt side dozens of times.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I been using a shallow 36MM socket with a wrench to tighten the rear axle and to torque to spec.

Spyder Garage

I seems to me that if the nut is torqued to spec, then the bolt would show a higher reading to loosen. The nut only has the torque and the friction of the threads and washer to deal with. But the bolt has all that plus additional friction of it's own washer, everything it comes into contact with and compressions, etc. As mentioned in my previous post, it took 130#s of torque to loosen the bolt (from the bolt side) so I put it back in using the same value. When I get the new VW 36mm wrench, I will be able to check the nut torque to make sure it is within spec.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

p.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    If you keep the adapter at 90 degrees to the torque wrench, the torque is the same.
    Put it in line with the torque wrench and adjust the torque as needed per the instructions on this page. https://www.norbar.com/en-us/Home/To...ion-Calculator They have links for smartphone apps to do the recalculation for you. The advantage of putting on in line is you don't have to pull so hard on the wrench to get the required torque.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

p.jpg
    There's ONE left. Brand name equivalents are in the $40 to $70 price range, if you can find one!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    There's ONE left. Brand name equivalents are in the $40 to $70 price range, if you can find one!
    I decided to cancel my order for the VW one from eBay and to buy this one. https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4882-Rear.../dp/B00R7ORS34 The OTC 4882 is about $36 to $40, twice what the HD one is. But here's the real advantage of this one over the other two above. The OTC is something like 8" center to center. Added to my 17" long, 1/2" drive torque wrench the torque I have to apply with my aging arm is only 113 lb-ft to reach the specified torque of 166 lb-ft on the axle nut. The OTC has a 1/2" square hole while the HD one has only a 3/8" drive hole. My 3/8" torque wrench won't anywhere near get me to the torque needed. The VW one would work but it's shorter than the OTC one so would I would need to pull about 128 lb-ft. Also the OTC one is a 12 point wrench whereas the other two are 6 point. That means less of a turn to grab the next bite on the nut. Even though 6 pt is less likely to round off a hex nut in this case the 12 pt will be good. I haven't seen any rounding from using a 12 pt socket. For turning the nut until it's at the point of torquing the HD one would be best as it is longest. The OTC wrench is longer than the VW one so it'll work almost as good as the HD one for turning the nut up to torque time.

So, in the end more money but the best overall choice, IMO.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I believe the correct torque for the RTL axel is 96 ft/lb. Anyway, that information about torque calculator is very helpful and easy to apply.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 11-19-2017 at 12:16 AM.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I believe the correct torque for the RTL axel is 96 ft/lb. Anyway, that information about torque calculator is very helpful and easy to apply.
    It was changed around 2010 or 2011. This is from the 2013 service manual. The 2014 manual is the same.

Rear axle torque.JPG

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I use a 36mm ratcheting box end wrench on the right side.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    It was changed around 2010 or 2011. This is from the 2013 service manual. The 2014 manual is the same.

Rear axle torque.JPG
    Thanks for the updated info. I'm going to need more Wheaties
    Semper Fi