Spyder Garage

Default Requesting advice on buying out of state

Hi SpyderLovers!
    I've been looking at a few different online (CycleTrader, CraigsList, etc), thinking maybe I can score a deal as the colder weather is kicking in, year-end, yadda yadda...

I've found a couple of options that might be within riding distance, plus/minus 200 miles, considering its in the 40's here in New Jersey, even 200 miles might be a stretch for a Spyder newbie, but will have to see about that. Also a couple of options that would probably require shipping, i.e. much further than I'd probably want to ride at this moment.

As a potential first-timer, I wanted to get some advice on buying from an out of state seller...maybe a dealer, maybe not...maybe new, maybe not...for instance:
    1. Dealer X has a "new" 2016 ST-S in Kalamazoo...
    2. Dealer Y has a trade-in 2014 ST-L in Tampa...
    3. Joey B Donuts has a used 2013 ST in Dallas...

Specifically...
    What would you do to pursue one of these options, presently sight-unseen?
    Would you fly out to check one of these out first, knowing you'd have to have it shipped back?
    How would you arrange paying for the deal knowing you might not be on-site when a shipping company comes? Planning a straight purchase, not financing...
    What about letting a private seller versus a dealer be the point-person for a shipping company?

Other things to consider that I've not mentioned or thought to ask yet?
    Not "which one would you buy"...

Thanks in advance!
    Rap
    Last edited by Raprider; 11-16-2017 at 11:55 PM.
    2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rap, have you done your research on the different models? The 14 RT has the 1330 Motor and the others don’t, the riding position is also very different on the two models. I think first you should know which model you really want.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one....

Dealers are a fairly safe bet and most check their units out.
    Things to consider....distance and cost of shipping....sales taxes and registration costs once in your possession in your state.... mileage if a used unit....condition is an visual and opinion so if a personal visit is possible worth it but expensive if there is no deal. Few things to consider
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hi SpyderAnn01...
    Yes, I'm leaning towards the ST line...I was just giving examples...but will edit my original post for clarity.
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up 2014 rts

I have one of these and it has been great. I strongly suggest the 1330 motor. If your touring and or traveling two up --- the RT is your ticket.

I would go see it in person and make my best deal. Dealer may do strange things when he sees thousands in cash.

Lew L

PS: Make a few day vacation down in Florida ---- might be a nice change from the cooler temps up north.
    Last edited by Lew L; 11-16-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Buying out of state

That's exactly what I did this past summer.

I rode my 2004 VStar 1100 to Kalamazoo, MI from Massachusetts. I traded it in for a 2017 RT at a FANTASTIC price (LeadersRPM).

I researched a lot and was willing to ride to Illinois for great deals from one of the big dealers there.

It was completely worth it. I saved THOUSANDS and they treated me really, really well. Wife wants one next year and if we buy I'm headed back to Kalamazoo.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I'd go with Joey B Donuts. The name exude confidence and honesty.

Just to be a little serious for a second, before buying a Spyder, have you thought about who will be performing maintenance? There have been an over abundance of posts concerning bad service depts. at BRP Can Am dealerships. If you're going to rely on a dealership, you may just want to check to see how far you are going to have to travel to get good service, before making a final purchase. You might change your tune about buying a spyder.
    Last edited by wyliec; 11-17-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

Frankly, unless the prices on these are considerably lower than what you could find (relatively) local, I would stay local. 1. Whatever money you might save is going to be spent on flying out to these locations. Even if you still ended up having some money, is that amount saved really worth it? 2. Consider the cost of shipping the vehicle. 3. Buying anything un-seen is risky. You just never know. Even if it comes from a dealer who warranties it, who is going to honor the warranty? (Unless it still has BRP warranty honored at all dealers nationwide). 4. Having a relationship with a dealer from which you buy is better, I think.
    If you are still considering buying out of state, I would think financing would be the same. American money is American money. It doesn't matter where it comes from. I'm sure the dealer can get financing set up over the phone and finalized when picked up. If it financed another way, getting that money, or check to the seller should be easy enough.
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't give up on a local purchase, there's quite a few on CL and other sites. By local I mean the NY/NJ/PA/CT area.
    I rode a Greyhound from NJ to PA to get my Spyder. The seller picked me up at the station.

If any model or year is an option for you, then decide what model you want and buy new.
    Check this forum- classifieds and dealer sponsors for good deals. But look carefully on the used market. For the same model and year and mileage, I've seen prices that vary by many thousands.

Pay close attention to the weather and your time available for any fly-in and ride away. They sometimes seem more romantic and doable than the reality. A couple years ago I did a fly and ride from NJ to Tennessee. Because of other commitments, I only had two days to do the 850 miles back. Unfortunately, it was mid August and the temps were 95 to 100 degrees and high humidity. The second day I realized I was getting dehydrated and tried to drink every hour or so. I still wasn't able to catch up, and arrived home dehydrated and exhausted, it took me almost 3 days to feel 100%.
    So, that $500 extra fee to have the bike shipped can seem high, or it can be the best $500 spent. YMMV.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Rap, have you done your research on the different models? The 14 RT has the 1330 Motor and the others don’t, the riding position is also very different on the two models. I think first you should know which model you really want.
    He said ST not RT Ann. He probably means RT????????

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Buying out of state

I would test ride a few Spyders First. See if this is THE Bike for you. Understand all the costs involved buying in and out of States. And yes, look into the maintenance costs of the Bike you decide to purchase. Also, if you can do any mechanical repairs yourself, THIS is a very BIG Plus. This is what I DID. I am a very HAPPY 2016 RT Limited SPYDER Owner. Little Blue PS: My vote is Spyder and with 2 years or Better Warranty. I bought mine, a NEW Demo on 11/12/16. I hope this helps.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Responses and...

You guys are awesome!

Some add'l info...
    I have demo'd both RT and ST models...and prefer the ST line...
    I'm a small guy and the size of the RT back-end just feels overpowering to me.
    Much of my riding would in fact be 2-up, but wife and I together probably equal about 250lbs and my current 750 v-twin hauls us just fine.

I'm leaning towards the ST-Limited.
    I also prefer a new or newer used model that either has original or extendable warranty from BRP/BEST...not a dealer or after-market warranty...too many negatives there!

chupaca...
    All good things to consider...I've been looking into all of it...

imflec...
    Yeah, I'd be willing to ride, but, damn it's getting cold out!

wyliec...
    Yes, there is a reputable dealer in PA about 45 min away that I would use for service...

highwayman2013...
    Yes, I have looked at Wengers...and the 2014 ST-L they have is basically what I'm looking for and in my price range (and maybe close enough to ryde home rather than ship), but no BRP/BEST warranty available...I suppose for the right price, I could set aside a "repairs reserve"...

SpyderSkeets...
    Lots of good comments...a local dealer has a new ST-S that I'm considering "turning into" an ST-L, with saddlebags, heated grips and audio...

classicvw...
    I have started to price out shipping...have spoken with HaulBikes for a couple options, and gotten pre-quotes from UShip...yeah, about 400-800...
    Not finding quite what I'm looking for in NJ/PA/CT, but still looking...

Little Blue...
    I can change my oil, and I'm happy I know which end of the wrench to use...

Thanks for the feedback...
    Still looking, considering, thinking...and excited about all of it...
    Rap

Spyder Garage

Default Spider shopper.

Want to buy my 13 rts? You'll save a lot of money on the upgrades I've done!
    Ultimate seat,two brothers exhaust, rear, front fenders n head led lights highway pegs to name a few! Just under 4 thousand miles. I'm in lake mary fl. Just 35 miles southwest of Daytona beach!

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2014 SE5 RSS in Miami off ebay had 190 miles on it show room cond from a sport car dealer who took it on trade havn't regretted it yet drove down with trl round trip 2548 miles

Spyder Garage

I bought mine out of state but drove their with a trailer, made a road trip out of it, when and looked it over good, took it for a test ride. Their a lot of money to buy something with just looking at the pictures. I would personally recommend you go there and check it out if at all possible.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Spyder Garage

Bumping this for the same reason as the original poster as I’m a first time buyer. Are there any car fax equivalents for Spyders where I can look up vehicle maintenance history?

Thanks!
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I went through this same exercise a year and half ago. I ended up focusing on new year end models after the next year came out. I think I got a great deal on a 2016 F3 T. Good luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Bumping this for the same reason as the original poster as I’m a first time buyer. Are there any car fax equivalents for Spyders where I can look up vehicle maintenance history?

Thanks!
    LeftCoast...
    I didn't find anything like Carfax but if you are buying from a dealer, they may be able to pull maintenance info based on vin. There is also a vin lookup tool on the BRP site that will indicate any pending recall work.

FWIW, I ended up buying a leftover 2016 STS from the local dealer in January for what I thought was a fair price...and look forward to putting on some miles as the temps improve here...

Good luck in your search!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

Spyder Garage

Thanks Raprider. I have a line on something that looks too good to be true at a dealer so I have some diligence I’m trying to do.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LEFT COAST - PERSON

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post

Thanks!
    I don't know if you are aware of this Calif. registration requirement - - If the Spyder you decide to buy is from out-of-state is NEW, you can't bring it in to Calif. un-less it is Calif. C.A.R.B. certified and that's not very likely...... However you can buy a USED one if it has 7000 or 7500 mi ( I'm not sure which mi. but Ca, DMV can tell you ) you can legally bring it into Calif and register it ........ good luck ...... Mike ............., PS if the mileage on a used one is not quite the required mileage, I would ask the dealer or pvt. seller to run it up to the minimum. This would be perfectly legal if they do it with the rear wheel.........