Spyder Garage

Default Jump starting 2013 RT

My 2013 RTL came with a pigtail in the frunk that according to the dealer it's to be used with a battery tender.
    But I've just realized that the plug matches the one on the Lamonster jump pack.
    Is it safe to use it if I need to jump start my trike? This would eliminate the need to open the cover to access the battery directly.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Julio Aburto

Black Currant 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2013 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcaburto View Post
    My 2013 RTL came with a pigtail in the frunk that according to the dealer it's to be used with a battery tender.
    But I've just realized that the plug matches the one on the Lamonster jump pack.
    Is it safe to use it if I need to jump start my trike? This would eliminate the need to open the cover to access the battery directly.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    For jump starting, no. The current draw will blow the fuse if it doesn't burn up the wire first! The battery tender lead is probably fused at 5 amps with a wire of something like 20 gauge. Jump starting will require something on the order of 30 to 50 amps and 6 or 8 gauge wire.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    For jump starting, no. The current draw will blow the fuse if it doesn't burn up the wire first! The battery tender lead is probably fused at 5 amps with a wire of something like 20 gauge. Jump starting will require something on the order of 30 to 50 amps and 6 or 8 gauge wire.
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    Julio Aburto

Black Currant 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2013 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it....

The adapter on the jump pack is most likely for charging your electronics. My pack (not from lamonster) has some heavy gauge wires and clamps for the jump feature...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

While the pigtail connector isn't up to the current draw required by jump starting, those big remote terminals on the extension block up at the top of the frunk on the 2013 RT's ARE up to it!! I've used them on my RT & a couple of others with ease, even used them to power the jump start for a neighbours cage! Just pull the litle red condom off the positive terminal & connect up that terminal & the naked earth post you can see to the right - but I'd suggest you use fairly heavy cables AND cables with an inbuilt surge/spike suppressor at that!! Just putting the headlights on hi-beam WILL NOT be sufficient to absorb any spike in the power draw & you really don't want to fry your ECU - it's a right pain to get out of the 2013 RT!s!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

If you are jump starting from a car, make sure the car is OFF.
    That way, you're just drawing from the battery.
    Make sure the car is OFF.
    In case I wasn't clear,
    MAKE SURE THE CAR IS OFF.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I'm certain someone here will happily tell me so.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    For jump starting, no. The current draw will blow the fuse if it doesn't burn up the wire first!
    True. IF there is a fuse.

Either way, if the battery is not real dead, just connecting the charger/jump pack via that connector for 5 minutes or so has a good chance of transferring enough charge to get it going.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    - but I'd suggest you use fairly heavy cables AND cables with an inbuilt surge/spike suppressor at that!! Just putting the headlights on hi-beam WILL NOT be sufficient to absorb any spike in the power draw & you really don't want to fry your ECU - it's a right pain to get out of the 2013 RT!s!!
    I've never seen jumper cables with surge protectors! In case you forgot, the headlights on the Spyder don't turn on until the engine is running! I don't see how you could have a high voltage surge anyway when you connect a 12v battery to one that is sitting at less than 12 v.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)