Spyder Garage

Default New Ultimate F3 seat

About the only thing that has disappointed me since our purchase of a 2017 F3L in early June, has been the discomfort of the stock driver seat. The ergos of the F3 are fine for me, and I enjoy its ride and handling; my missus loves the experience of being an F3 pillion passenger. I just couldn't go much more than an hour (90 mins tops) in my driver seat. An Airhawk pad has helped me stretch this to 2-1/2 to 3 hours, but I feel it when I leave the saddle. The missus had no issues with her stock seat. I have had discussions with many others who extolled the virtues of the Russell 'Day Long', and those who urged me to try an Ultimate. The latter has recently come out with a new, one-piece seat for the F3. I've patiently been waiting for months so that I could make a decision between the two. That time has come.

A couple of days ago, I was able to stop by the Ultimate show room in Ormond Beach, FL, and chat with Dave Frank. What super nice people. I got to sit in a new standard black vinyl seat on their F3 in the showroom; very nice. Then, Dave showed me a two-color style, red/black, with an Ostrich skin-like insert. Well, I was stunned!! I just had to take the sample out and lay it on top of my bike to see what it would look like. I'd have bought it on the spot, but it was the 'tall boy' size and I felt I really needed to order a 'mid-rider' size. Dave said he'd get one in and I could come back in a few weeks for an extended test ride of both. Well, the image of that darn thing has haunted me for the past three nights. So, today, I simply took the plunge and ordered me one. Here are a couple of photos; the color match just looked so right I couldn't resist. Now, I'll be anxiously awaiting its arrival so I can go and ride, and start breaking it in. There will be a matching two-color cover with a second silver spider logo on the passenger back rest and, of course, the seat will be mounted in its proper place, not just sitting on top of the stock seat. Maybe you'll understand how I felt, and why I acted now.20171113_130645.jpg20171113_130657.jpg
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

That is a good looking seat color combo and matches your spider well... send the pc's when you get it done up...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    That is a good looking seat color combo and matches your spider well... send the pc's when you get it done up...
    Will do, and thanks for the moral support!! May come in handy with the missus.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats.

I took that seat for an hour test ride about a month ago in NC. Mine will be here tomorrow. Black with ebony croc inserts and gray/black Spyder logos on the seat and top case backrest. Pics to follow...

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seat

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    About the only thing that has disappointed me since our purchase of a 2017 F3L in early June, has been the discomfort of the stock driver seat. The ergos of the F3 are fine for me, and I enjoy its ride and handling; my missus loves the experience of being an F3 pillion passenger. I just couldn't go much more than an hour (90 mins tops) in my driver seat. An Airhawk pad has helped me stretch this to 2-1/2 to 3 hours, but I feel it when I leave the saddle. The missus had no issues with her stock seat. I have had discussions with many others who extolled the virtues of the Russell 'Day Long', and those who urged me to try an Ultimate. The latter has recently come out with a new, one-piece seat for the F3. I've patiently been waiting for months so that I could make a decision between the two. That time has come.

A couple of days ago, I was able to stop by the Ultimate show room in Ormond Beach, FL, and chat with Dave Frank. What super nice people. I got to sit in a new standard black vinyl seat on their F3 in the showroom; very nice. Then, Dave showed me a two-color style, red/black, with an Ostrich skin-like insert. Well, I was stunned!! I just had to take the sample out and lay it on top of my bike to see what it would look like. I'd have bought it on the spot, but it was the 'tall boy' size and I felt I really needed to order a 'mid-rider' size. Dave said he'd get one in and I could come back in a few weeks for an extended test ride of both. Well, the image of that darn thing has haunted me for the past three nights. So, today, I simply took the plunge and ordered me one. Here are a couple of photos; the color match just looked so right I couldn't resist. Now, I'll be anxiously awaiting its arrival so I can go and ride, and start breaking it in. There will be a matching two-color cover with a second silver spider logo on the passenger back rest and, of course, the seat will be mounted in its proper place, not just sitting on top of the stock seat. Maybe you'll understand how I felt, and why I acted now.20171113_130645.jpg20171113_130657.jpg
    Congratulations. You will not be sorry. I have the Ultimate seat with black croc inserts and on the spider insignias I had them stitch the middle with red. Looks like a black widow spider

i received my seat and had it installed the day we left on a 2500 mile trip and have loved it since day one. Truly feel like I am in a saddle. So comfortable

Spyder Garage
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Wow. Impressive looking seat, Bushrat. You hear so many good reports about Ultimate

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Wow. Impressive looking seat, Bushrat. You hear so many good reports about Ultimate

Pete
    Pete:
    I know (and appreciate) that you are a great fan of Russell seats. I always find great wisdom in your SL comments and highly respect your input. I have been searching for a new seat for my F3, and likely would have been headed that same way, based on your and others' recommendations. Knowing that Ultimate was coming out with a new product, I had been delaying. When I saw this seat and how great it looked on my Spyder, I just couldn't resist ordering one. I'll know soon enough whether it was the right decision; I sure hope so. But, if not, I still have your fall-back. Thanks for the moral support.
    Last edited by bushrat; 11-17-2017 at 09:42 PM.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Looks Great!!

I have the exact same F3L. That seat really looks nice on there. If I'm not out of line, may I ask what the cost of your new seat was?
    My new ride is a 2017 F3-L: BRP drivers backrest, F4 21" tinted shield w/vent, Lamonster fog lights, TRCLED cyclops light, red/black carbon fiber tank protector and dash kit from Wrap-My-Spyder, FOBO tire pressure monitors and more farkles to come.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by funon3 View Post
    I have the exact same F3L. That seat really looks nice on there. If I'm not out of line, may I ask what the cost of your new seat was?
    No problem re price, and no secret, as the costs are openly published on their website. Seat is $525; backrest is $225; color inserts with logo are $150; backrest cover (not shown in photo) is $95. So, my total was $995, to which must be added any applicable sales taxes and shipping. It looks like you already have a driver backrest (I didn't), so they may just charge to recover, rather than for whole thing, which could reduce cost; you'd have to ask. Very nice folks to deal with. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seat

I have past experience with an RDL seat on an RT, loved the seat but did not like the additional height in a seating position. I now have an F3 and love the fact I'm sitting into the bike versus on top of the bike. i've been looking at the Corbin and know about the customer sat issues. I have heard that the RDL for the F3 also lifts you up as well so that eliminates them from the mix, has anyone spent some time on the new Ultimate for the F3 to provide an opinion on how the seat with compare to the original seat on the F3 with regard to the riding position? Would I be better served to just go for the Corbin as i don't want to sit higher than I am right now. I'm riding a 2016 F3 T. Thoughts?

mk
    2016 Spyder F3-L Special Series
    2016 Spyder RT Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MKrone View Post
    .... has anyone spent some time on the new Ultimate for the F3 to provide an opinion on how the seat with compare to the original seat on the F3 with regard to the riding position? ....mk
    My recollection in speaking with Dave Frank when I ordered my new Ultimate seat for the F3 was that the height (as compared to the stock BRP seat) is not changed; however, the 'tall boy' seat will move the rider back an inch, whereas the 'mid-rider' stays the same. BUT, to be absolutely certain, you should speak directly to Ultimate about any concerns you may have.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with the new seat, looks nice.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White