Thread: Bluetooth

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth

Has anyone on here used one of these Bluetooth devices compared to Sena. I have been using Sena and have no real complaint but this is so much cheaper. I just place an order for one to see how it works. Out of 8 reviews 7 were 5 star and 1 four star.

https://www.amazon.com/Communication...ication+system
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Looks good , BUT

It says this under "Connect two intercoms" #5. .If you never use freedconn products before,please try more times.

It also says this under "
    Connect intercom with phone" #3 If you never use FreedConn products before,please be patient and try more times.

That tells me they dont have much faith in their Chinese product, much less the aggravation you are fixing to get....... NOT ME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post
    Looks good , BUT

It says this under "Connect two intercoms" #5. .If you never use freedconn products before,please try more times.

Connect intercom with phone" #3 If you never use FreedConn products before,please be patient and try more times.

That tells me they dont have much faith in their Chinese product, much less the aggravation you are fixing to get....... NOT ME
    I never use the intercom. On my Sena it is for phone and music. I have been using Sema for about three years but it is expense compared to these. I ordered one just to try it.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Gerald37 (and others) I don't know about this particular unit, But I really want to try the "... Motorbike Skiing " the Amazon advert mentions.
    I drive my RTL like I used to ski, but just on paved roads..... sometimes downhill, but I am using Sena headsets from Motorcycle Dave (one of our SL Sponsors)
    And found my original low volume issue was really just a matter of improper speaker placement, once I really aligned the speakers with my ears, much better sound!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Gerald37 (and others) I don't know about this particular unit, But I really want to try the "... Motorbike Skiing " the Amazon advert mentions.
    I drive my RTL like I used to ski, but just on paved roads..... sometimes downhill, but I am using Sena headsets from Motorcycle Dave (one of our SL Sponsors)
    And found my original low volume issue was really just a matter of improper speaker placement, once I really aligned the speakers with my ears, much better sound!
    That could be some of my problem. I will check mind. That is the only complaint I have.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post
    Looks good , BUT

Or maybe, the translator doesn't know how to translate Chinese into real American!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Great price for sure. Would like to know more about actual operation and compatibility with various helmets.

We have SENA up until last year, they connected well to the NOLAN helmets that we tend to favor. Nolan has built in communicators available--but we have better reception with the SENA units.

We only use our communicators for bike to bike communication.

The Sena units give us about two blocks of clear communication--depending on line of sight and terrain.

Our new NOLAN helmets did not accept the Sena units. They changed the shape of the mounting lips--and I could not install. We therefore changed over to Nolan built in communicators. They are okay--but the range is down to about 1/2 of the Sena units.

I currently have one set of each--and depending on the "helmet" of the day--both get used regularly.

Let us know how the new units work out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think if you're the adventurous sort, it's worth taking a look at. Let us all know how it all works out!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Headset

I have these. $74. The speakers are a bit tinny, but they work fine. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x1000m-BT-...gAAOSw4shX4eb0

Spyder Garage

Default Sena Headset Speakers

The Sena speakers really aren't very good.

Following the advice of one of the members here on a different post I bought a cheap set of headphones (behind the head) and the Sena extension for 3.5mm jacks. I then snapped the speakers off of the behind-the-head headphones and used those instead of the Sena speakers.

Sound quality improved along with volume and clarity. Now I have bass too.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

The sound quality of the Sena speakers are subjective to each person's hearing taste. In my opinion they are satisfactory.

Would you buy that big subwoofer speaker, hook it up to your million watt amplifier and just lay it in the back of your car and expect it to sound good? No, it has to go in a suitable box.

Same for any of the motorcycle helmet speakers! The location inside the helmet relative your ear makes a huge difference, particularly for mid and high frequencies. A good seal is necessary for good sounding lows.

Before you trash your helmet speakers pull them out of the helmet, hold them up against your ears and see how they sound. You might be pleased.

See my post #2:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=sena+speakers
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I did what you said. I took my Sena speakers out of my helmet and got two spacers that moved the speakers out directly from my ears. They are not where they touched my ears but right up to them. That really improve the volume and the sound of the speakers. Now I have to turn the volume down. I could not believe the difference. I really thought they were install in the helmet okay
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I am confused by this statement: "I have been using Sena and have no real complaint but this is so much cheaper."

I bought my Sena SMH5 based on reading dozens of reviews on Revzilla and have been very happy with it. We use it for intercom and to make and receive calls; it will also play music using Bluetooth from my iPhone but I don't use it that way. I just used it today to intercom with my wife for several hours. For me the sound is clear and loud although I have heard of people substituting better speakers. Nevertheless I could see giving the $49 unit a try -- except that your post says you "have been using Sena." Well, if you already have Sena and have no real complaint about it, why would you want to try a $49 unit? A
    nything you buy now would be duplicative and unnecessary -- and therefore not cheaper.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I am confused by this statement: "I have been using Sena and have no real complaint but this is so much cheaper."

I bought my Sena SMH5 based on reading dozens of reviews on Revzilla and have been very happy with it. We use it for intercom and to make and receive calls; it will also play music using Bluetooth from my iPhone but I don't use it that way. I just used it today to intercom with my wife for several hours. For me the sound is clear and loud although I have heard of people substituting better speakers. Nevertheless I could see giving the $49 unit a try -- except that your post says you "have been using Sena." Well, if you already have Sena and have no real complaint about it, why would you want to try a $49 unit? A
    nything you buy now would be duplicative and unnecessary -- and therefore not cheaper.
    I happen to have two other helmets that I do not have anything in that I do like so I thought I would try a cheaper unit and see if they are any good. I do a lot of riding and will always use Sena in my good helmet. There are people that don't ride a lot and don't like to spend the money a Sena cost and I will let them know if it is worth 50.00 dollars.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Please report your results

Gerald, please report your results!
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    Gerald, please report your results!
    Rob
    As soon as I get it I have a NoLan helmet to put it in and try. I ride alone most of the time so I don't us intercom but I do use my phone and listen to music with an MP3 player, music from my phone and radio. Now that I got my speakers located correctly in my helmet the Sena really works good so I will see how they compare. I don't see how a $40.00 set can be as good as a $150.00 set. I will post what I fine.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS