full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake light switch

'13 STL SE5.
    I have had the brake light switch recall done last year. But twice now in the last 3 months I have gotten off the bike and noticed that the brake light has remained on. A tap of the switch turned it off. Have any of you had that as a recurring problem after the factory replacement?

Spyder Garage

I noticed that my brake light remained on after a short ride yesterday, my first since I picked it up on Tuesday. I saw a post modifying a RT using a spring attached to a washer on the brake switch pivot (small hole drilled in the outside edge of the washer) and attached at the other end to the exhaust. The poster commented that his solution was only for the RT and the ST might be different. So, has anyone done something similar to the ST?

Spyder Garage

fulltimer, I revised my search criteria to just "brake light" and found a number of posts with the same complaint. Many had had repeated failures of factory replaced BL switches - some were able to move the switch to better align it (apparently some were binding) Another fix was to remove some material from the bump stop on the brake lever allowing it to retract further -- but that only works if the return spring is strong enough. So, I'm just going to experiment first by trimming the bump stop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nwrider View Post
    I noticed that my brake light remained on after a short ride yesterday, my first since I picked it up on Tuesday. I saw a post modifying a RT using a spring attached to a washer on the brake switch pivot (small hole drilled in the outside edge of the washer) and attached at the other end to the exhaust. The poster commented that his solution was only for the RT and the ST might be different. So, has anyone done something similar to the ST?
    Where can I find the post and detail to address the RT issue? Would it be worth trying before taking it in for a switch replacement? Dealer quoted $560 for the job.
    2015 RT-S Special Series BajaRons bar w/heim links, Spyderpops bumpskid, Lamonster's - Dual power plate w/gps swivel, NBV pegs, IPS lidlox & key cover, Spyder cuff w/holder, Perf cat-delete pipe w/ BC Thunder QQ baffle, Ultra brt LED fog & headlights. TricLED safety bundle & Wide Vu, Stebel horn, Akrapovic sport exhaust, Ultimate Croc inlay seat, BRP passenger armrests, BRP air scoop, ISCI handbrake, 23" vent windshield, Garmin 595 GPS w/Kradellock, Magic mirrors.

Spyder Garage

One related issue--have you been driving on roads loaded with crud or mud? The smallest amount can gum up the switch. Riding with the switch locked open, will lead to limp mode. The will think you are riding the brake.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    One related issue--have you been driving on roads loaded with crud or mud? The smallest can gum up the switch. Riding with the switch locked open, will lead to limp mode. The will think you are riding the brake.
    Limp mode would be unfortunate...thanks for the heads up. Otherwise the roads that I have riding have been nice, dry and relatively clean. I noticed that light stays on frequently after using either the foot or handbrake. I have to wedge my foot under the pedal to bump it up...also a good bump in the road will deactivate the cruise control thinking the brake is on.
    2015 RT-S Special Series BajaRons bar w/heim links, Spyderpops bumpskid, Lamonster's - Dual power plate w/gps swivel, NBV pegs, IPS lidlox & key cover, Spyder cuff w/holder, Perf cat-delete pipe w/ BC Thunder QQ baffle, Ultra brt LED fog & headlights. TricLED safety bundle & Wide Vu, Stebel horn, Akrapovic sport exhaust, Ultimate Croc inlay seat, BRP passenger armrests, BRP air scoop, ISCI handbrake, 23" vent windshield, Garmin 595 GPS w/Kradellock, Magic mirrors.

Spyder Garage

I wasn't able to find the video on the RT brake spring again. However, from my notes: Lowes part# 543210 spring 7/16 dia x 2/1l8 long x .0471 wire with 1.97# tension. Hook spring between rear of brake pedal arm (behind the pivot?) and the spring eye on the catalytic converter.

Spyder Garage

It’s certainly worth a try, really appreciate your help! Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Your welcome and please let us know if it worked for you.

Spyder Garage

On my ride yesterday there were several occasions when the cruise control wouldn't activate letting me know that the brake light was on. This morning I took the right side panels off so I could check the rear brake -- I removed the stop rubber button and trimmed off about 2/3 of the thickness of the button. Just tapping the brake seems to work O.K. but time will tell.

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default And a repeat

Wow, almost got lulled to sleep again. After NOT having this reoccur for a month, we almost missed it as we walked away from the bike. I have never tried to take the tupperware off that side, can't be to hard to get where that switch is visible. I think I will try taking a little off of the stop first

I gather from the comments that BRP won't "refix their fix" if it doesn't hold?

We only ride on paved road for the most part, so I can't believe that it should be gunked up.

Spyder Garage

I've ridden several hundred miles now since trimming about 2/3 of the rubber button and haven't had a recurrence of the brake light staying on. That doesn't mean it won't happen again since the brake switch is the old style and exposed to the elements.