Spyder Garage

Default Garmin cradle wiring diagram needed

I've tried a search here with no luck. Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the factory Garmin 590LM GPS cradle? I have the diagram for the other ends of the harness, but can't find the pinout diagram for the connectors in the cradle that the unit contacts. Any help would be appreciated!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Garmin has a separate phone number for OEM support, 855-607-2536. Suggest you give them a call and see what they can do for you. Don't be surprised if they warn you about voiding the warranty if you are trying to create your own wire harness.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Garmin has a separate phone number for OEM support, 855-607-2536. Suggest you give them a call and see what they can do for you. Don't be surprised if they warn you about voiding the warranty if you are trying to create your own wire harness.
    Just trying to figure out which pin should have the charging voltage on it. I'm having a battery charging issue. Garmin provides the diagram for the cable but only shows the loose ends, not the pins in the cradle.

Spyder Garage

What is your charging issue? Have you cleaned the mount and GPS contacts with a pencil eraser? Will it fully charge overnight when connected to a computer on in a 12V socket in a cage? Garmin replaced my 590 battery under warranty when it would not fully charge on my Spyder (always got a Low Battery warning even after a long day of riding) or overnight on my desktop computer.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    What is your charging issue? Have you cleaned the mount and GPS contacts with a pencil eraser? Will it fully charge overnight when connected to a computer on in a 12V socket in a cage? Garmin replaced my 590 battery under warranty when it would not fully charge on my Spyder (always got a Low Battery warning even after a long day of riding) or overnight on my desktop computer.
    Basically same as what you had, but mine now is sometimes turning off after starting up the bike. It'll go through the boot up, I acknowledge the safety button, then tap on the map, start riding, and after a couple of minutes it may or may not still be on. If it goes off, the only thing I can do is to unlatch it, and tilt it away from the contacts, then snap it back in. After that it tends to stay on. I have cleaned the contacts numerous times and they are all there and still spring loaded. I just want to put a meter on the pins and flex them to see if I lose contact with either the power or ground.

Spyder Garage

I know it means pulling some Tupperware but there is the possibility of a loose connection where the mount cable connects to the Spyder's wirie harness. Such a condition might explain the intermittent failure. That's were a call to Garmin OEM support might be a help. It wouldn't take much looseness, or incomplete plug in of the mount cable to cause a problem. OTOH, if the mount cable was chafing against something that could result in a short circuit. The dealership installed my mount when the bike was new so I've never traced the routing of the mount cable. Sorry I can't provide more guidance.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

This is the 660 pinout. I am wondering if it may be similar to the 590. The top pair of pins are battery voltage pass through. Next pair down are ground.

I hope this helps.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Basically same as what you had, but mine now is sometimes turning off after starting up the bike. It'll go through the boot up, I acknowledge the safety button, then tap on the map, start riding, and after a couple of minutes it may or may not still be on. If it goes off, the only thing I can do is to unlatch it, and tilt it away from the contacts, then snap it back in. After that it tends to stay on. I have cleaned the contacts numerous times and they are all there and still spring loaded. I just want to put a meter on the pins and flex them to see if I lose contact with either the power or ground.
    THIS ^^ Is exactly what my 660 started doing after about a year of solid use because the GPS unit itself wasn't actually contacting the charging pins in the Spyder mount. In addition to the 'turning off after starting' bit, mine would also refuse to start every now & then, & when that occurred I discovered that a gentle press on the top & bottom frame/case of the GPS helped; just a finger & thumb light press, one finger on the middle top of the screen surround & thumb on the middle bottom so I pushed the GPS down into the cradle a touch.... because that press INTO the bracket worked, I suspected the likelihood of loose or no longer touching connections.

Closer inspection revealed that the connector pad on the back of the GPS case had recessed into the unit a touch (about a poofteenth of a mm, but enough) & using a mirror & a bright light it was clear that when I clicked the GPS into its bracket on the bike the pins weren't always actually touching the pad... and when they didn't the GPS didn't get charged, which over time, flattened the battery! Since opening the battery cover up & charging it thru that port worked, I considered opening the GPS unit/case even more & seeing if I could re-fix the pad position from the inside, but decided that might be a bit extreme, at least initially, so after some thought I added a couple of strips of tape to the gripping side of the bracket clamps so that it held the unit firmly onto the pins, instead of just holding it loosely. It was a little difficult getting the tape on the right parts of the bracket/clamp, but once you realise you only want extra height on the bits that hold the GPS down & into the clamp, it becomes obvious that the (thin) tape only needs to go on the underside of the hook bits of the clamp, not on the vertical bits or the bits you look at from the riding position - you want to make the clamp hold the GPS tighter DOWN & INTO the bracket as tho you were pushing it down into it from the screen side...

Anyhoo, a few very small strips of clear & thin packing tape on the bracket & my GPS is now held more firmly onto the bracket pins & I no longer have the poor charging problem - it's been fine for more than a year since, & that's the only change I made, altho I guess I tend to leave the GPS in place now more than I did - I think the continual fitting & removing may have pressed the contact pad into the case more than it should have, so by stopping pulling it out of the bracket & putting it back in again, instead just leaving it in place once it's held securely with proper contact, it might help reduce the poor charging issue too. Oh, I do take it out & put it back, I just try to only do that ONCE per day rather than every time I stop & leave the Spyder for whatever reason... & it Works well now, no issues or flat batteries!

Over to you to do with as you will - Good Luck
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-16-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!