Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Handbrake on RT - Opinion

Thinking about installing the ISCI handbrake on my 2014 RTL. Has anyone put this on their Spyder? What do you think, and do you have any regrets?
    It's such an expensive farkle, I want to be sure before I pull the trigger on the purchase.
    Thanks in advance.
    Mark in GA

2014 Cognac Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
    2014 Cognac RT-622 Trailer - SOLD
    2014 RT Limited , Stock Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Brake

It was the first thing I added to my 15. Yes it is spendy but I felt it was worth every penny and I used it all the time. I have lower back issues and not having to lift my leg on every stop was great. To bad the rest of the Spyder experience didn't meet expectations .

Spyder Garage

I have had one on my 2010 RT for 7 or 8 years. I rarely use the foot brake anymore. I added after I added floor boards and I did not like the feeling when I was in traffic and my foot was not near the brake. I will say that it does not feel the same as a hand brake did on my previous 2 wheeler and it took a little getting used to the feel, at least it did for me, others my feel differently. For me it was an excellent farkle and worth the money.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Spyderman View Post
    ...... It's such an expensive farkle, I want to be sure before I pull the trigger on the purchase.
    Thanks in advance.
    Why do you want a hand brake conversion?? Or is it that you have an issue with your right foot and you do actually need it??

Cos really, unless you have a NEED to use your hand instead of your foot to operate your service brakes, what's the issue with having your brakes activated by your foot? That's what most vehicles on the road do, isn't it?? How many cars have a hand operation conversion?? I doubt that there's ANY conversions on cars out there unless at least one of the operators truly NEEDS it!!

The ISCI handbrake units cost a bunch, and it's a serious lot of green to throw at something that is really just a whim for most, isn't it?! Surely you could spend that money on better, more necessary, or 'nicer' mods or accessories, couldn't you?? But it IS your money & your Spyder, so you can do whatever floats your goat!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    It was the first thing I added to my 15. Yes it is spendy but I felt it was worth every penny and I used it all the time. I have lower back issues and not having to lift my leg on every stop was great. To bad the rest of the Spyder experience didn't meet expectations .
    My issue is with my right knee. The sitting position is such that I get a catch in my knee when I move my foot to apply the brake. The pain is pretty intense and I also feel it in my hip. It hurts so bad that I’ve even had thoughts of selling the Spyder. My wife and I love to ride, but I just can’t keep dealing with the pain. This handbrake may be just help with my problem.
    Mark in GA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Love Mine

I have one on my 2014 RTS and LOVE it...

I also sent you a PM...

Spyder Garage

My issue is with my right knee. The sitting position is such that I get a catch in my knee when I move my foot to apply the brake. The pain is pretty intense and I also feel it in my hip. It hurts so bad that I’ve even had thoughts of selling the Spyder. My wife and I love to ride, but I just can’t keep dealing with the pain. This handbrake may be just help with my problem.
    I agree with you. I need to have my right knee replaced and sometimes the pain can be pretty intense since I am also having a back surgery on June 6th due to the pain and right leg weakness that accompanies the problem. I might end up with the hand brake. Do a search, there are others out there. I've heard good thinking about the ISCI and have researched it myself. Good Luck and let us know what you do and how it works out. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Why do you want a hand brake conversion?? Or is it that you have an issue with your right foot and you do actually need it??

Cos really, unless you have a NEED to use your hand instead of your foot to operate your service brakes, what's the issue with having your brakes activated by your foot? That's what most vehicles on the road do, isn't it?? How many cars have a hand operation conversion?? I doubt that there's ANY conversions on cars out there unless at least one of the operators truly NEEDS it!!

The ISCI handbrake units cost a bunch, and it's a serious lot of green to throw at something that is really just a whim for most, isn't it?! Surely you could spend that money on better, more necessary, or 'nicer' mods or accessories, couldn't you?? But it IS your money & your Spyder, so you can do whatever floats your goat!
    Peter, I’m not sure what the point is of your post, unless you just like to see your name in print. I wouldn’t have even posted this thread if I didn’t feel I have a need for this device. I merely asked for opinions of people that have one. We all spend money on our Spyders for things that we think looks good, that adds value to them or makes our ride safer or more comfortable. So next time if you can’t contribute something helpful to the OP, just keep your thoughts to yourself.
    Mark in GA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    I agree with you. I need to have my right knee replaced and sometimes the pain can be pretty intense since I am also having a back surgery on June 6th due to the pain and right leg weakness that accompanies the problem. I might end up with the hand brake. Do a search, there are others out there. I've heard good thinking about the ISCI and have researched it myself. Good Luck and let us know what you do and how it works out. Thanks, Mike
    Thank you, Mike. I will update this thread with my decision.
    Mark in GA

Spyder Garage

Peter, I’m not sure what the point is of your post, unless you just like to see your name in print. I wouldn’t have even posted this thread if I didn’t feel I have a need for this device. I merely asked for opinions of people that have one. We all spend money on our Spyders for things that we think looks good, that adds value to them or makes our ride safer or more comfortable. So next time if you can’t contribute something helpful to the OP, just keep your thoughts to yourself.

GA, if you'd said something about your NEED in your oroginal post, I wouldn't have felt any need to post at all - but your OP didn't refer to any disability or need for a handbrake, it just asked 'what do you think?' - and on the basis of what you'd given us in that OP, which had no reference to any need at all, I simply asked did you really need it or were you just thinking it'd be nice??

I'm sorry that my crystal ball wasn't working too well & I couldn't tell from what you'd posted that you actually had an issue which warranted fitting a hand brake, but now you've explained your need, maybe you can see that what I posted was suggesting that unless you had such a need, fitting a handbrake was probably a waste of money! Still stands actually - unless you have a need (like a dodgy knee) then why would you bother fitting a handbrake?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-28-2018 at 12:59 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RUDE ANSWER

OMG - you are way out of line in this response ...... You asked a question ....that had NO requirements attached to it ...... Peter gave an Honest and very Reasonable answer ..... Peter is one of the most helpful and nicest members on this Forum and to even suggest He's posting because He's an Egotist is just plain .... " RUDE " .... you just made my " IGNORE " list, which means I will NEVER assist you in ANY questions you ask here ...... PS put me on yours ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-28-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    OMG - you are way out of line in this response ...... You asked a question ....that had NO requirements attached to it ...... Peter gave an Honest and very Reasonable answer ..... Peter is one of the most helpful and nicest members on this Forum and to even suggest He's posting because He's an Egotist is just plain .... " RUDE " ....

On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Not trying to sound huffy here, but if you're having problems with your knee, is there anyway that you can address your knee, instead of adding the handbrake to the spyder.
    I had my knee replaced in 2012, and there are so many aspects of my life that benefited, stairs, skiing, sailing, walking. I lost weight. Hell, just sleeping is so much easier.
    The technology today is so much different than it was years ago, the recovery is so much less. I was out of work for a total of two weeks. I was skiing 10 weeks after my surgery. I still can't play the piano, or find a girlfriend. Maybe the technology isn't all that good.......
    If you need the ISCI handbrake, go ahead and get one. They are very expensive though. If someone came out with a another option at half the price, I think they'd clean up.
    It just seems to me that the handbrake is a very focused solution.
    If you have an opportunity to replace your knee, I'd go for that.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee,
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Yosemite Sa,.jpgOK you varmints, let's play nice. Don't make this one of THOSE threads.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default VARMINTS

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Yosemite Sa,.jpgOK you varmints, let's play nice. Don't make this one of THOSE threads.
    , OK, IMHO there seem to be more and more members on this Forum who have Sharp sticks , that they use to poke in the eyes of other members....... Advising members to play NICE is total BS, maybe should direct your wisdom at the folks with the STICKS instead of lumping everyone together ..... there at Perps and there are VICTIMS .....give some thought to who is who and STAND up to the Stick wielders ........then maybe they will stop or LEAVE .......... Help clean up this site ............Thank you ....... from a Victim ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

OK, I give up, ya'll ride this thread wherever it takes you.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

Sometimes why people want something for their Spyder it is just none of our business.

Questions in a thread (by other than the OP) are often asked with the hope that having more information as to why, will result in better information being given. All too often the questions are posed to show the vast knowledge of the questioner, rather than a sincere desire to help the original poster with his/her question. And, yes, many asking do actually have a lot of knowledge about Spyders but, as noted,-sometimes it's just none of our business why someone wants something.

Would you question someone's choice of a meal--why do you want fish, what are you wanting to accomplish by eating fish? Or, do you really need the fish dinner?

Very often, people want something just because they want it. Nobody here needs a Spyder. We have them because we want them.
    Last edited by ofdave; 05-28-2018 at 09:40 AM.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    Sometimes why people want something for their Spyder it is just none of our business.

Questions in a thread (by other than the OP) are often asked with the hope that having more information as to why, will result in better information being given. All too often the questions are posed to show the vast knowledge of the questioner, rather than a sincere desire to help the original poster with his/her question. And, yes, many asking do actually have a lot of knowledge about Spyders but, as noted,-sometimes it's just none of our business why someone wants something.

Would you question someone's choice of a meal--why do you want fish, what are you wanting to accomplish by eating fish? Or, do you really need the fish dinner?

Very often, people want something just because they want it. Nobody here needs a Spyder. We have them because we want them.
    I-dream-of-a-world-where-chickens-can-cross-the-road-without-having-their-motives-questioned.jpg
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

Default MOTIVES

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post

Maybe this would work - all the people here who try and help by answering others questions ........Should just shut the **** -up and let the folks who don't have answers LOSE out on getting the answers ...... .......... This Forum is heading to be just an outbranch of TWITTER or FACEBOOK .... You probably don't remember " Scotty " one of the smartest members on this Forum ....He NO longer posts .....can you guess WHY !!!!!! ....here's a hint - look in the next mirror you pass .............. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-28-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

People either love or hate the ISCI brake. It sounds like you are a candidate for the ISCI. One needs to stop when they need to stop. If the foot does not work 100%, then you need the ISCI. I say, go for it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had one and I ended up returning it.
    I used it for about 1 month but found more times than not that I would roll the throttle while applying the had brake.
    The original lever that comes with the hand brake is quite a reach. Thinking that might be it I ordered their custom lever which is bent in closer to the the handle bars but it still didn't work for me.
    I do not have any limitations and only wanted one as I like to ride with my feet on my highway pegs.
    I will also add that ISCI customer support is top notch and you can buy the hand brake with confidence!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    People either love or hate the ISCI brake. It sounds like you are a candidate for the ISCI. One needs to stop when they need to stop. If the foot does not work 100%, then you need the ISCI. I say, go for it.
    I think that logic is where I'm at, spyderman. It scares me to think that my reflexes can be slowed significantly in an emergency. The handbrake will give me some security, knowing it's available when I need it. Maybe that won't make a lot of sense to some, but I don't want to put me and my bride in a potentially dangerous situation if there's something I can do about it. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Mark in GA

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thinking about installing the ISCI handbrake on my 2014 RTL. Has anyone put this on their Spyder? What do you think, and do you have any regrets?
    It's such an expensive farkle, I want to be sure before I pull the trigger on the purchase.
    Thanks in advance.
    I bought my Spyder specifically because it had the hand brake installed and would not drive without it. The sitting position on my RTL is bad enough that, coupled with a bad right hip, brings intense pain when lifting my foot to operate the foot brake. Very poor engineering by BRP IMHO.

The hand brake is somewhat hard to pull (my wife doesn't use it) compared to non-BRP products I have ridden but after a lifetime of two-wheelers I feel much more confident using the hand brake.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Maybe this would work - all the people here who try and help by answering others questions ........Should just shut the **** -up and let the folks who don't have answers LOSE out on getting the answers ...... .......... This Forum is heading to be just an outbranch of TWITTER or FACEBOOK .... You probably don't remember " Scotty " one of the smartest members on this Forum ....He NO longer posts .....can you guess WHY !!!!!! ....here's a hint - look in the next mirror you pass .............. Mike

thanks for the tirade
    I'm sure it makes you feel better but it makes no sense
    Getting answers to questions is how we learn and why we ask.
    Getting pointless questions instead of answers is useless.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I bought my Spyder specifically because it had the hand brake installed and would not drive without it. The sitting position on my RTL is bad enough that, coupled with a bad right hip, brings intense pain when lifting my foot to operate the foot brake. Very poor engineering by BRP IMHO.

The hand brake is somewhat hard to pull (my wife doesn't use it) compared to non-BRP products I have ridden but after a lifetime of two-wheelers I feel much more confident using the hand brake.
    RinconRyder, you have accurately described my problem. This convinces me that this add-on is exactly what I need. Thanks for that.
    Mark in GA